Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

head and cam info

ok i was thinking of putting these heads on
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Can you guys steer me in the right direction as for what cam to put in. I already have headers ext. and putting bbk intake and roller rockers on with these. The car is not going to be daily driver but will drive quite a bit. What else do i need with these heads and a cam besides a tune? injectors, high stall conv.? I know chain and pump will be needed. What ratio rockers should i get?

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

What do you guys think of this head and cam package?http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku
    OK does that mean that i will need different valve covers since the heads have a centerbolt mounting style? Is the cam too big for the amount that i drive the car? Should i get this package or should i get the heads from above and a different cam and rockers?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Go to texas speed and look and their head cam package's. PRC heads are excellent for the price.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

+1 for TSP...u cant go wrong with their stuff. i hit 445rwhp N/A with the cheap off the shelf PRC ls6 heads/torquer v2/90-90 set up.

if your set on the patriot heads...id pick a differant cam than whats included in that package. maybe something along the lines of a 23x/23x .6xx/.6xx 112lsa or possibly bigger. since your not concerned with driving it everyday, id assume you want to get as much power as possible out of your combo.

depending on what heads you get they will usually provide you with the pushrod length that you'll need to run with said heads. good luck.

Rick
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

black
    2001 z28

dont buy the bbk or if you already did then sell it. youve got an ls6 intake on your car now and those flow pretty damn well, or get a great intake like a fast. just get an ls2 timing chain, they are strong and dont require shimming like the double rollers. remember on the rockers if you go over 1.7 it will change your lift, buy springs with this in mind.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by sroach20 View Post
    dont buy the bbk or if you already did then sell it. youve got an ls6 intake on your car now and those flow pretty damn well, or get a great intake like a fast. just get an ls2 timing chain, they are strong and dont require shimming like the double rollers. remember on the rockers if you go over 1.7 it will change your lift, buy springs with this in mind.
    true..forgot to mention that...your ls6 manifold is way better than the BBK intake. stick with that or buy a Fast 90/90 to compliment the heads nicely.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i hit 444rwhp with those exact heads (same 59cc) and a little 224 cam, ported FAST 90/90, LT's/ORY and SLP LM, HP Tune. you will like those heads...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    +1 for TSP...u cant go wrong with their stuff. i hit 445rwhp N/A with the cheap off the shelf PRC ls6 heads/torquer v2/90-90 set up.

if your set on the patriot heads...id pick a differant cam than whats included in that package. maybe something along the lines of a 23x/23x .6xx/.6xx 112lsa or possibly bigger. since your not concerned with driving it everyday, id assume you want to get as much power as possible out of your combo.

depending on what heads you get they will usually provide you with the pushrod length that you'll need to run with said heads. good luck.

Rick
    interesting, only a 5rwhp difference between your Tv2 (232/234 .595/.598 @112lsa) compared to my Comp 224 (224/224 .581/.581 @112lsa)...

i understand of course that we dont have a complete list of mods of eachothers car respectively...

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Check out my sig i hat 407 with bolt on's and their 228R 114 cam, no heads or fast 90/90
    Pacesetter Headers- ORY
    Texas Speed 228R Cam/Moly Pushrods/918 Springs
    MTI LID
    Slp Under Drive Pulley
    Texas Speeds Rumbler Catback
    SFC's, Lakewood LCA's
    Koni SA 4/3, Strano Springs
    Dyno Tune
    LS7 Clutch, Nitto DR's
    407 RWHP 377 Ft./lbs.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    interesting, only a 5rwhp difference between your Tv2 (232/234 .595/.598 @112lsa) compared to my Comp 224 (224/224 .581/.581 @112lsa)...

i understand of course that we dont have a complete list of mods of eachothers car respectively...
    yeah..thats pretty good. i did get about 24rwtq more than your setup though (419rwtq) so theres a pretty good differance on that end. i had a comp 224/224 cam only before i did the heads n cam upgrade..loved it. still would have had it if i didnt burn a valve on a nitrous run.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

did you gain that rwtq just from swapping out the cams (retune included)...? i mean i see you did the head and cam swap at the same time...

i did the cam first then LT's, next were the heads and Ls6 intake, then FAST 90/90 over the Ls6 intake...

i just sold a TSP 231/237 last week since i wasnt sure how much rwtq I'd gain by steppin up to that cam from the 224, and the power curve i have with the 224 is amazing...

basically im happy with where i sit RWHP wise, but on the quest for more RWTQ...

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

i did the cam first...gained about 18rwhp or so and another 10rwtq over the comp224...than i had the incident with the head.....i replaced the heads and installed a fast at the same time...that got me to my final numbers. i had all the other bolt on stuff allready..pully, thermostat, ported TB, ls6intake, headers, exhaust, etc. etc.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sroach20 View Post
    ok the thing with the bbk is that it is the cheapest that i can bolt my 85mm tb up to. i was going to have it ported to flow match the heads. I wanted the 85mm tb bolted to my manafold so i can run my bigger MAF.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post

Rick
    I am concerned with being able to drive almost every day. It just isnt work car.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

with the fact that i am still concerned about drivablity, what size cam do you recomend? What do you guys think of this one?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
    I dont want to spend alot on the whole job because i want to swap motor out later on with 402. I am just getting my fix of power to suit me till then. i want a cam that will give me more power (abviously) but not have a bad lope. Did you guys have to change your injectors with your cams?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I would Check out these kits..
    for Cam size i would recommend the 228R
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=47
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    with the fact that i am still concerned about drivablity, what size cam do you recomend? What do you guys think of this one?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
    I dont want to spend alot on the whole job because i want to swap motor out later on with 402. I am just getting my fix of power to suit me till then. i want a cam that will give me more power (abviously) but not have a bad lope. Did you guys have to change your injectors with your cams?
    a cam in the 230 range should suit you nicely....get it on a 113 lsa or higher and ya wont have to worry about a lumpy idle. drivebility will be very tolerable and easy to drive. it'll give you plenty of power to hold ya over untill you do a stroker.
    you "should" upgrade your injectors. when you get it on the dyno for a tune they'll check your injector duty cycle and you'll see that with a cam the stockers will be maxed out or close to it. you dont need anything huge (30# did the job for me).

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

if you are even thinking of installing an SLP or any other aftermarket MAF, dont. the stock MAF will support in excess of 500hp. aftermarket MAF's tend to be tricky to tune with. save your money and ditch the aftermarket MAF...

i have over 500+ flywheels HP and still using the stock MAF, trust me on this...

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

yeah...the stock maf is the way to go. aftermarket maf's arent worth the money and screw u more than help ya. guys running 90/90 setup's, like myself, still run a stock maf.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

wouldnt running stock MAF cause a bottle neck of airflow. i mean with the lid is 85mm then the stock MAF 75 or 78(dont know) then the 85mm tb then an adaptor down to 75 or 78 into the manafold. I would think it would make more power to have it all one size or bigger to get more airflow into motor.

I like the cams and prices from texas speed. I was thinking about the 228r. do you think this is the way to go. i heard that the cams bigger than the 224r are too big, but since you have experince with the cams ill take your word for it.

How would the 228r with 114 lobe seperation idle? will it be lopey or like stock? How much power increase do you think id have with the Patriot stage 2 ls6 heads 59cc, the 228R, and the high flow injectors? Will i need a high stall converter? what pushrods and roller rockers should i get? are the rods going to b stock length and should i get the 1.7 rockers instead of the 1.8? will i need a high flow fuel pump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information