Black
    1998 Z28

Thumbs up Head/CAM Combo 98 Z-28

Looking for recommendations on the best head/CAM combo to max out a 98 Z-28 with natural aspiration.

My Transmission and Gear Box are bullet proof and built for low end torque and steady curve needed in road racing primarily in 2, 3 and 4 gear...with the SPEC III Clutch I am not nervous at all about over pushing the drive train. My current set up maxed out at 382 HP, and I am quite certain we can do better ^..^

Would welcome the benefit of different combos folks have built and their:
    - experience/satisfaction.
    - Things they would do different.
    - Regrets stories most definately welcome

and I thank you in advance for your help!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

So it sounds like you desire a setup for a strong road course car with concern and focus for low-end torque:

My setup is pretty simple and straight forward. My goal was a strong street car. I have a Comp Cam sinlge pattern 224 .581 @112lsa, Patriot Stage II Ls6 style heads (59cc), ported FAST 90/90, SLP lid, EWP, UD pulley, 42 lb injectors, LT's (no cats) into TSP TD's with dual SLP resontaors, HP Tune. The Comp cam is an under the curve type of cam, meaning it's not a peak HP cam, but produces a nice long flat and FAT TQ curve. It's a small cam given todays standards with people daily driving Ms3/4 peak HP cams.

However, a peak HP cam will not meet your build goals of end-end TQ. I would suggest heads with a (59cc) size for an increase in C/R, and would have you consider going a custom grind cam for your specific setup (i could see it spec'd along the lines of (232/236 .595/.610 110+2 lsa). I would also encourage you get a FAST 90/90 and port it. I don't see the reason for the 102, though other's seem to swear by it. Get a full exhuast if you don't have it already. Supporting mods will help you out as well.

Only regrets i have are going to the Ls6 intake and spending the time and money on it and being severely disappointed with the results and sluggish feel. It ended up being a huge choke point which is why I went to the FAST 90/90 and the difference was night and day (and about a 35rwhp difference!!).

The one thing I would consider doing in the future, would be going to a custom grind cam myself if I felt like I needed more power. I realize my results aren't typical for a 224 cam equipped car, but time and research goes a long way. I haven't had any issues with my car or the setup for the last 15-20k (car has 50k on it).

Once you identify what you have and what you wish to keep, build off it, and it sounds like you will achieve the goals you have set. Good luck!
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 06-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Talk to a cam manufacturer
    comp cams
    texas speed
    might ask katech
    Could also look into eps cams and have them make you a custom cam.
    Some people are leery of them but reverse split cams make some great torque. I can't post links because if site rules but google will bring up plenty of links

Black
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    So it sounds like you desire a setup for a strong road course car with concern and focus for low-end torque:

I want to get my post in now, and I will come back and fill in later with what my setup is.

One thing I would like to know is:

What are your current mods that have you at your current power?
    That is the rub, the car was previously blown and that is just about all I am sure of under the hood. (well that and the idiot who unistalled was a butcher...) We know there is stuff going on because it tuned out so much higher than expected. What I do know is it is a stock LS-1 CAM from all the readings we picked up on the dyno. I am pretty sure the injectors are heavier than stock, I can see that just by looking at my 2001 or any other LS-1.

While we expect surprises when we pull the heads, I would be shocked if we find anything we want to keep. This car will be used on the OneLap of America, and endurance/reliability are critical, maybe even more so than HP.

Now as to the suspension...I do know that part beacuase I did it all. All track set up by K&W and brembo monsters on all four corners. We have already fabricated and tested a blade spoiler from the First Gen Z-28 with an additional molded splitter up front we will install those once the drivetrain completes.

Going for a 70/98 hybrid look with a much lower profile height wise. I think I have more money in badging and retro of the exterior than the average motor head has in engine mods...Key is to keep her a sleeper. The beauty of OneLap is watching jaws drop when everyone shows their cards ^..^

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

Pics?

Black
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by huggerls1 View Post
    Pics?
    I have a couple out of the photo album on my profile, but they keep showing up as blank targets. This link "may" show you the car just out of paint, the oem spoiler and front end are still on it. That will be the case until August because my crew does not trust me on tearing things up...I'll snap some shots at the shop next visit, folks imagination will help figure out the end state appearnce pretty close?

http://www.ls1.com/forums/album.php?...pictureid=2472

http://www.ls1.com/forums/album.php?...pictureid=2473

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

see post #2 for my opinion

Black
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    see post #2 for my opinion
    I have no idea what the deal was, but I did not even see your very detailed post. THANK YOU! That is precisely what I was looking for data wise.

Shockingly, I am sitting on LS-6 Heads as we speak. Thankfully not much $$ in them, but they definately will stay for other projects.

I will definately research the recommendations, and your information on the CAM provided an option we had no idea existed for this motor to level the torque curve...perfect. We are almost always focused on HP with the jobs we do on Pony Cars.

I'll hit you with PMs (if you don't mind) to lock down some more questions that most folks don't like to discuss in public.

Thanks again...seriously, I have no idea why your post didn't appear in the thread. I am very, very grateful!

Cheers!
    Paulie

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

No problem. My post didn't show because what you quoted before was my post. I went back and edited the post, in order for me not to forget your thread. Then I simply bumped your thread so you could see I responded.

PM's are fine, but I emplore you to post the questions you have in your thread so that others can contribute with their opinions and knowledge too.

Black
    1998 Z28

Some folks get so squirrely about their dyno numbers, I figured I would do the PM...awesome addition with the pulleys and injectors! Making me rethink the whole plan, this may end up just being the CAM. All that juice in their now is coming from something "blower boy" left behind.

Don't judge me, I picked the beast up for $3,000, figured by the fact that it actually ran well and had all sorts of juice I could undo any deamons and still be ahead of the game. I guess I shouldn't be as judgemental either, for all I know the previous owner was up three nights straight ripping as much out as he could?

We'll most likely give you good folks a thread when we go for it...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

sounds like a good find to me for $3k. those cars are out there! also sounds like you have a good starting platform. keep us informed of the progress.

Thread Information