maroon
    2000 Z28

Head Bolt Torque Advice

Hi. I am putting AFR 215 heads on my 2000 Z28 and just finished the 3 stage head bolt torqueing process from LS1HowTo. This did not go well for me and I ended up with about 4 or 5 of the M11 bolts well short of the stage 3 90 degree turn...like in the 40-50 degree of turn neighborhood. All stage 1 and 2 turn worked ok. These bolt heads are buggered and no further torqueing is possible.

I am trying to decide whether to complete the assembly or back out all of the bolts and start over with new bolts and gaskets. I used ARP bolts and second time around I think I might have better luck with OE bolts as they have a larger hex head (15 mm) than ARP (13 mm).

What is your opinion as to whether my several under torqued head bolts will cause a problem or do you think that I am close enough to spec.

Thanks so much in advance.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Hi. I am putting AFR 215 heads on my 2000 Z28 and just finished the 3 stage head bolt torqueing process from LS1HowTo. This did not go well for me and I ended up with about 4 or 5 of the M11 bolts well short of the stage 3 90 degree turn...like in the 40-50 degree of turn neighborhood. All stage 1 and 2 turn worked ok. These bolt heads are buggered and no further torqueing is possible.

I am trying to decide whether to complete the assembly or back out all of the bolts and start over with new bolts and gaskets. I used ARP bolts and second time around I think I might have better luck with OE bolts as they have a larger hex head (15 mm) than ARP (13 mm).

What is your opinion as to whether my several under torqued head bolts will cause a problem or do you think that I am close enough to spec.

Thanks so much in advance.
    What did you torque the arps to? It was pretty simple for me and there were no problems. I torqued all bolts in the correct sequence to 25, then 50, and then 75. I had no issues doing it this way. For arps there are no degree specifications since they are not torque to yield bolts, all you have to do is do the torque sequence. Also did you use their assembly lube that comes with the bolts?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

maroon
    2000 Z28

I did not know Arps are not tty. I thought they were same as OE, just prettier. I am using ls1howto as a guide. He says to torque, in correct sequance, to 22. Then on second pass one 90 degree turn and the on third pass another 90 degree turn except short M11s a 50 degree turn. I am sure they are torqued well beyond 75. Yes, I did use the lube. Crap I think I have missed something. Wow, what to do now.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    I did not know Arps are not tty. I thought they were same as OE, just prettier. I am using ls1howto as a guide. He says to torque, in correct sequance, to 22. Then on second pass one 90 degree turn and the on third pass another 90 degree turn except short M11s a 50 degree turn. I am sure they are torqued well beyond 75. Yes, I did use the lube. Crap I think I have missed something. Wow, what to do now.
    I would just loosen them back up and torque them to 22 or 25 (I did 25), 50, and then 75 in the proper sequence. Then you are done. No arp bolts or studs are torque to yield if they were you would have to throw them away after removing them since ttyl bolts are 1 use only.

maroon
    2000 Z28

Thank you for the information and advice, 98transamws6.

Black/ Silver

Glad to be of help.

Thread Information