Have questions on install and supporting parts....need help

This is a discussion on Have questions on install and supporting parts....need help within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey guys so i have looked for the answer over and over again but cant find a direct answer.... i ...

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Have questions on install and supporting parts....need help

Hey guys so i have looked for the answer over and over again but cant find a direct answer....

i currently have a 1998 firebird Formula Ls1 A4, with Mid Length headers, ORY-pipe, Catback, Slp lid, 160 degree thermo stat, frost tune.

well my car is pretty much stock and what i was wondering is can i put in a mild cam without upgraded my stall... the car isnt a daily driver but kind of a weekend driver, and also this summer only putting about 1-2k miles on it a summer max my fiance will be driving it on nice days so NO racing Track or anything....

I already have a new ASA GMPP Cam kit they was given to me plus Ls6 oil pump plus Ls2 timing chain.... i was wondering if i do all this to the car would the car still be drivable and not shut off or anything at lights or under acceleration with STOCK stall......

cam specs are 226/236 .525/.525 110lsa

please if anyone can give input that would be great.......a stall would be going in the car but just not this summer and i really want the nasty lopy cam in there......

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

You'll need a tune after the cam is in, but someone should be able to make it streetable no problem. I have a 228R in my A4. First tuner did a poor job, so the car would stall at idle until warm. Second tuner was much better. You'll be fine, just plan on finding and $$ for a tune after.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Yeah I have a good tuner already, my main concern was just the stock stall converter..... Like I said no track no racing but occasionally like to give some gas on the street lol and I'm not looking for alot of power just a lil bit more than I have now plus after might be doing Ls6 intake,3:73 gears right after cam install....

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Well, sounds like you are planning some nice mods. I would look into the TC as well, and maybe even do that before the gears. The LS6 intake you should do now if you can with your cam install... you'll have the intake off anyway. But even if you do later, it's not that much work.

My advice... between mods, take your time and drive the car to see the impact. Driving the car inbetween will give you better feel for what you really want to spend cash on next. You'll be fine for a long time not needing a TC, but it will liven up the car a lot when you do it.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

You're going to need a stall with that setup sorry man. The asa cam has a very low 110 lsa on the cam and this will create a very lopey idle which will result in the idle speed having to be raised in order to get it to run. By raising the idle sped the tight stock converter will want to push through the brakes and be a pain to drive. Also the car will probably even feel a little slower because the cam will move the engines powerband up higher and thus make less power down low with a stall the engine can bypass that low rpm range and get up high to make more power. Circle d makes a nice budget converter that will stall around 3200 aND its under 400 bucks. I'd say its a great converter for you, it will still make the car drive close to stock but will also get up and go when you want it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would go a little bigger on the cam and you will probably wish you would've went bigger after all is said and done. I run a 228r and it has excellent street manners. My wife drives it with no problems during the summer. Like was stated above.....you will also want a stall.

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Hey guys thank you for all the info i really appreciate it and yeah my thing here is that i am on a budget plus i already have the asa cam kit.......

the reason im going with the asa is im not looking for alot of power im hoping to be around 360hp I know alot of people with all the mods i want to do are around 390hp plus i want something thats easy on the car and has a nasty lope.with easy start and smooth drive plus im not taking it to the track ever or racing it. and the only mods that i want to do to the car are....
    Slp lid-(already have)
    Mac Mid Header-(already have)
    MAC ORY-(already Hvae)
    Magnaflow- (already have)

Want to do at same time......
    Asa cam
    Hardend pushrods
    springs
    Ls2 timing chain
    Ls6 oil pump
    3200 stall

after once i have $....

Ls6 intake
    3:73 gears
    start Suspension

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that should fit your goals nicely then.....should be a nice set up when you're done but I guarantee you that at some point you'll think " that guy was right.....should've got a bigger cam."

Thread Information