Black
    01 Silverado

harland Sharp Rockers

http://www.jegs.com/i/Harland+Sharp/851/SLS18/10002/-1

i had these put into the engine im having built, the machinest has used harland for years, but he said these felt a little loose? is this normal?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

What do you mean "loose"?

Black
    01 Silverado

he said after they were tightened up that they felt like they had some play in them like they were not compleatly tight, and was afraid somthing might be missing, but he did said they did torque down tho

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Did he put the pushrods in?

Mine are pretty tight, I don't remember if they had any play or not, but you have to remember that nothing can be right up against something else, there has to be room for oil to get between moving parts.

hugger orange

should beable to go to 0 lash, then about 3/4-1 turn to tighten.....you might need slightly longer pushrods

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I've had big problems with those rockers on a number of setups... they are so heavy that they have caused early valve float and have had to be removed from >half dozen cars that I have had on the dyno. They are also at fault for the ONLY engine that has ever come apart on the dyno while I was working on it.

We had a pull with power falling off like mad just over 6K (H/C car). I told the owner we were pulling the car off because something was physically wrong. In his mind, he thought it was tuning despite me telling him otherwise (what would I know right??) and told me adjust the AFR up top and pull again. I argued with him for about 10 minutes and finally just gave up and did it. On return to idle after the sweep, the engine munched itself and shut off. A valve was dropped. It broke the piston, ruined the block and hurt the cylinder head.

I've had a few boltons cars that the HS's and just a few cammed ones that didn't have problems, but it's a crap shoot based on your spring condition. Besides, they really aren't any kind of helpful upgrade seeing as how they weigh more than OE. The gains that Jegs lists for those are pure fantasy.

Money is better spent in other places....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Ok I found a graph of one...

This engine made 422rwhp after the Harland Sharpe's were pulled off in favor of the STOCK rockers. In this graph, the car had a NEW set of double springs on it's heads. Look at the top of this graph to see the float caused by these rockers:

Black
    01 Silverado

So would it be better if I just told him to hold up and get a set of comp cam rockers in it instead?
    The cam is a tsp 228 comp cam and their beehive springs they offer with the kit

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blackout5.3 View Post
    So would it be better if I just told him to hold up and get a set of comp cam rockers in it instead?
    Why not use a stock rocker, or a HS rebuilt stock rocker? What part of your build is requiring the use of an aftermarket rocker arm? Stock rockers are, to my knowledge, still the lightest available rocker. With the HS rebuild/upgrade, they are a tough piece to beat.

Black
    01 Silverado

Well the ones were in it were toast, I figured the stockers were to flemsy

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Stockers are best with OEM heads IMO. The HS or comp trunion and bearing upgrade is well worth it if you run stockers though. The bearings are held in with a c-clip so they will never puke out.

It is only necessary to run aftermarkets with heads like TFS or if they have softer bronze guides. Yella Terra makes a nice piece and if you want to spend more so does Jessel. They are both shaft mounted.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

No pro mags, other tuners across the country have had the same issues that I showed above. There are MANY 8-second cars on stock rockers. Like I said, unless you are dying to burn the money away, put it where it will help you.

The stock rocker upgrades that keep the needle bearing inside are nice to have.

Stock rockers can be found all over the place and they are cheap... one of the only times that cheaping-out is not only OK, but the best move.

Black
    01 Silverado

Calld the machine shop, he said I didn't want to release the engine to you with the rockers like that, so he's goin to check the old rockers and see how good of shape their in, if not he's just going to have me find a new stock set

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Calld the machine shop, he said I didn't want to release the engine to you with the rockers like that, so he's goin to check the old rockers and see how good of shape their in, if not he's just going to have me find a new stock set
    Thats your best option. Upgrade the stockers or find a nice low mileage set, install them and let it ride!

Thread Information