red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

H/C guys come on in

I need more power, I wanted to know from you guys who have done heads and cam swaps on your cars is the power difference dramatic. does it give you that same excitement like your driving your car for the first time all over again. I want to something that will pull like a banshee.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Most H/C/I cars put down anywhere from 420-470rwhp, depending on which cam and heads.

Do you have a goal in mind?

Is this car your DD?

Stick? Auto?

I don't have H/C/I, I have FI, but I can still help ya I think.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

yeah just brain storming imagining what if? ha ha. but my car is a 6 speed, weekend warrior. I dont want to build a track car just a real fast street car. how do you like your FI setup? how much power you making? was it an easy install? why did you go that route instead of H/C? sorry for all the questions im just wondering which route I would like to take

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a build thread in the FI section. I went FI mainly because I love how a supercharger sounds, it will make more power and I have room to grow, and I can get better MPG driving around town normal with it.

My car gets tuned tomorrow by frost so I'll have to let you know what I put down.

FI is going to be WAY more expensive than H/C/I.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

I actually stumbled upon your thread just before your last post. looks like alot of work and money! i bet it is gonna be amazing though! def keep us on your outcome its gonna be a beast! im gonna sbscribe to your thread

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you are looking for a good power cam with good street manners, a lot of people like the TSP 228R on a 112 LSA or something similar.

Others get a little more aggressive and go with a MS3. That's about as big as I think I would go for a car that is going to see a lot of street driving.

Being a 6 speed will help, and so will having a good tune.

As far as heads, I am partial to AFR, but they are pricey. Some people just go cheaper and get 243's and port them.

Just about everyone goes with a FAST intake.

All depends on what you want.

I'd suggest making sure your drive train and suspension are built prior to adding too much power though.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

thanks for the suggestions. i have been looking into the 228 cam acctually. thats all the cam i want. im also looking in to a set of 5.3 heads to raise compression. the supporting mods are also in the works. im curious as to what to expect though as far as seat of the pants power from a H/C swap. im hoping someone with expierence in this will chime in. I know there is plenty of guys on here with H/C setups

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I can tell you that a car with 300rwhp compared to a car with 420+rwhp is going to be night and day difference.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I can tell you that a car with 300rwhp compared to a car with 420+rwhp is going to be night and day difference.
    This.

I was running milled 5.3L Heads and the Torquer V.2 Cam...I put bus lengths on a V10 M5 two hours after I got off the dyno. Car was a freaking monster....dyno'd 445rwhp and 395rwtq.
    Last edited by ls1camino; 06-14-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I just finished my H/C swap and you can definitely notice a huge difference. With everything I've done I could never really "feel" the extra power until now. I just did 2.5 ls6 heads and Torquer V3 cam. I'm not sure of my final numbers because my stock clutch got roasted on the dyno after a pull of 423rwhp (mustang dyno). I should be able to hit 430rwhp when I switch to an LS7 clutch, which will be a 90rwhp increase. Not bad for a budget build...got about $2,700 in it with the H/C, pulley, injectors, oil pump and timing chain before tune. So you don't have to spend a bundle to make decent power.

Let me tell you.....it will put a huge smile on your face and will feel/sound like a totally different car. I was a little bored with my car and now I can't wait to drive it.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    I just finished my H/C swap and you can definitely notice a huge difference. With everything I've done I could never really "feel" the extra power until now. I just did 2.5 ls6 heads and Torquer V3 cam. I'm not sure of my final numbers because my stock clutch got roasted on the dyno after a pull of 423rwhp (mustang dyno). I should be able to hit 430rwhp when I switch to an LS7 clutch, which will be a 90rwhp increase. Not bad for a budget build...got about $2,700 in it with the H/C, pulley, injectors, oil pump and timing chain before tune. So you don't have to spend a bundle to make decent power.

Let me tell you.....it will put a huge smile on your face and will feel/sound like a totally different car. I was a little bored with my car and now I can't wait to drive it.
    thats what i wanted to hear. Ive been sving some cash for a while now, cant wait to do it. thanks for the input guys

NBM Z28

I had bolt ons, then threw a stall, cam, and 3.73 gears and all i can say is my car definitely pulls. I will be adding heads and seeing how much more HP i make. I have a small 230 cam and a 3200 stall.i plan on getting a bigger stall and throwing the heads too.

Thread Information