Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Guys. There is no BEST Cam.

Lately there have been so many threads asking about the BEST cam. While there is an answer for it, there are so many variables you can not expect a answer with just that question. Impossible. Instead of asking what the BEST cam is, tell people what you are doing and where you currently stand. Im not trying to make this like Tech where we just blow you off, but there has been some very vague... very similar threads started lately. All with the same answer to them, There is no BEST cam. With magical numbers that work for everyone. Many are starting these threads and getting zero response. Ill say myself I have skipped over them a few times just becuase they are everywhere. So lets try something here for some of our newer members to view and breathe in. To maximize your ability to get cam help here lets get some basic questions out of the way.

1.What size engine displacement? Stock, stroker?

2. What heads? Stockers? Aftermarket? Milled? 5.3's? 5.7's? Need to know this.

3.Where do you REALLY want the power? Even though all these cams claim the same basic power band, does not mean thats where it is. A 228/228 is going to have a greater "power under the curve". When A MS3 is going to want to be spun higher to see the gains that a cam this size should show. There are cams out there that dont mind stock heads. But the MS series really like ported heads and a steep gear. Some may disagree. Im using these two cams as a reference because they seem very popular around here. They are two completely different animals. Learn where and why. Power is completely different with the two cams listed above. Maybe try and find a happy medium.

4. How important is that "choppy idle" sound to you? Some people ask about cams a say they really just want a "choppy idle". If this is what your going for, do it. But buying a cam based on what sound its going to make is crazy, and you likely be disappointed.

5. What are you going to be doing with it? That is a very important question. Is this JUST a Daily Driver car? Will it see more strip(1/4, 1/8) then the street, or a mix of the two?

6.What are your other mods? Many, myself included disagree with putting a different cam in with zero exhaust work done. Long Tube headers, x pipe and cat back IMO is required. There are other setups, True duals sound great and flow great. Also a 4" Mufflex exhaust like mine. They all serve the same purpose. Your cam will like you for doing this first. Unless you dont mind choking the crap out of your 1000+ investment of a cam swap.

7. How much are you willing to spend? A cam swap is not cheap by any means. You can figure at least $1000 for the cam swap and componets. Plus a tune. Which, with MOST cams, is a absolute necessity. Your looking at around 1500. Plus labor if your not doing your own work. Then its funny how things add up. Maybe an under drive pulley? Injectors? A steeper gear? Getting rid of that horrible LS1 intake? Things can add up very quickly.

8. Be realisitc with your cam. Just becuase you found 20 videos of a wild cammed F-body, vette, doesnt always mean thats whats right for you. Impluse buying is bad, and will cost you alot of money. RESEARCH. READ. The cam is the most important piece of your engine. It is essentially the "Brain" of your engine.

9. What Transmission? If auto, you WILL NEED a high stall converter. See number 7 above If your a M6, plan on saving for a rear end if you want to put any of that new power to the ground. With auto transmission, you want to MATCH the cam choice with the stall. That is VERY important. Again, dont just start buying parts without a good idea of where you want the car to be when its "done".

10. A custom cam can be great. Sometimes theres no way around it. There are 100's of off the shelf grinds out there. Start reading and looking at dino graphs to see if you like the power band.

11. Suspension. You can have that nasty cam with gobs of power. But think about suspension. Its not the most fun thing to buy (at least in my eyes) but it makes a difference and you will need it.

12. Match your heads to your cam. Big runners mean low air velocity. Which in turn means low "low end" torque. And vise versa, a smaller runner runs out of breath up top for a larger cubed motor. PRC seem to be making great numbers, and you can not go wrong with the AFR 205's on a stock cubed LS1/2/6. But they are pricey. But the mid range power/Torque on those heads are simply amazing. Its up to you. But you see where this is going. Match your mods. Plan it out, and dont piece it together. RESEARCH. READ.

13. Lets just touch on Springs and lift. A high lift with a nasty ramp rate (lobe on camshaft gets steeper), will require two things. A dual spring, which costs more. And, you will want to be changing springs every... ehh, 15,000 miles depending on your cam's lobe profile and lift. Its just one more thing to keep in mind when looking for camshafts.

Answer these questions in your next "Whats the BEST cam" thread, And I gurantee you get a better answer.

As always, the people who really know the cams better than most any of us, is the people who grind them. COMP is a great place. They also have a GREAT cam helpline. Its on there webpage. Im not going to post it being a non-sponsor. But they have the number, you WILL have to wait to speak with someone. But once your in, they will talk your head off. But its funny how while you are waiting, they ask for all this information to be ON HAND. Its just basic stuff guys.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 04-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

Sticky! and make this mandatory reading!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by pjeff7 View Post
    Sticky! and make this mandatory reading!

I agree

It could be copy and pasted on almost every message board.

Great Job Hi-Po
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

This is the most honest and truthful reply I have ever heard...................
    but how many will listen?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

How about a sticky on this one

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Sticky for sure, but instead of calling Comp, DEFINITELY call Cam Motion, they'll ask for so much information its not funny, but they'll also custom grind you a cam for YOUR car depending on tons of variables. There not just gonna take all the information and give you a off the shelf cam like Comp will most likely do. Not to mention all there cams are billet and are right at $400 just like most others.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

jesus hi-po...your such a downer !

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

no such thing huh? I was told the megadeath cam, or polluter on stock maniflds was the shit.

Black
    99 Firehawk T/A

agreed

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Sticky for sure, but instead of calling Comp, DEFINITELY call Cam Motion, they'll ask for so much information its not funny, but they'll also custom grind you a cam for YOUR car depending on tons of variables. There not just gonna take all the information and give you a off the shelf cam like Comp will most likely do. Not to mention all there cams are billet and are right at $400 just like most others.
    There are many places to call when needing advice. Many of whom are not sponsors here so I just listed one of the companies I had a good experience with.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    jesus hi-po...your such a downer !
    Not trying to be a downer, just trying to make a list for people to use when asking this, or a similar question.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Damit...I thought I had "The Best" cam. Thanks a lot Hi-Po, your post just crushed me!

Seriously, great job man!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

good job on the write Hi-Po. like you, ive reached my 'boiling point' with all the threads asking whats the best cam, but people haven't really bothered to do any personal research for themselves, let alone figure out what the goal is for their build. the best cam out there is what fits their application, not what some one else is running.

for me, there is a best cam. for my car, my build goals, and the performance i wanted, and the reasearch i did, i went with a little Comp 224. i wanted a strong street car with incredible 'under the curve' power. i have not only reached my goal, but exceeded it with what many consider 'budget build' parts. still to this day people are floored when i show and tell them what and how i constructed the build of my car.

i have greatly implored people to do their own research before jumping in and buying parts left and right, only then to slap it all together and be disappointed with the results. parts need to compliment each other, not fight one another. hopefully people will come to realize this vital part of modding a car, and take a minute to think out what they want, and what they will be happy with.

most of all everyone, enjoy the hobby. after all, that's the point to all the madness...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I'm not reading this.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    There are many places to call when needing advice. Many of whom are not sponsors here so I just listed one of the companies I had a good experience with.
    True, there are many places to call, but Cam Motion is by far one of the, if not the best place for a cam. They've been featured in MANY magazines all of which praise there custom grinds.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

So what's the best cam for my car guys I need help. J/k great post I may be a newbie on here but not with cars and this should be a sticky no doubt

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

STICKEY!!!!!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Good Job Hi-Po.

A lot of people dont realize about the valve springs and having to check them/replace them often with a large cam. Its not a wise idea to have a large cam DD without some sort of a backup. You can just drive it and do oil changed like a vehicle that you just rolled off a dealership lot. The largest cam IMO for a long term reliable DD would be the ls6 z06 with the matching valve springs.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Great post

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Everyone just needs to know that the MS3 cam was molded after God's penis and its the greatest stick ever.

Thread Information