Got A Problem HELP!

This is a discussion on Got A Problem HELP! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok here's the deal: A friend of mine has a 99 Z-28 B4C option cop car with about 120k on ...

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Got A Problem HELP!

Ok here's the deal: A friend of mine has a 99 Z-28 B4C option cop car with about 120k on the ticker. He said if I wanted it I he would sale it to me cheap, the only problem is it has sit for about 6 years with the motor out of it and he sold the crank. So my problem is what crank to go back with and would I be better off just to buy a new block and start over or just resleeve the old block and put new shit back in it? The car is not gonna see the street much at all I'll gut it as soon as I get it home, interior and all! Pretty much gonna just build a NO2 car for the track. I have a 99 SS so this one will be for play tme so I don't tear my SS up. I would like to stay pretty reasonable on parts as far as best bang for your buck kinda deal. Any suggestions guys I know a lot of you have done motors.
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'd buy it,

1. you're gonna prob want a stronger crank anyways if you want a nitro car
    2. assuming the block is not cracked or scored, you can either use the stock cyls or punch it out, and the ls1 block is not a bad platform
    3. assuming the body is fine, sounds like that isn't a problem cuz ur gonna run through it

aka, if the price is right buy it because the torn down motor gives you a good opportunity to build it right for your needs

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Well I can get the whole deal for less than $2k, with a Nitrous Express NXL kit? So its a deal I can't let go. Its atleast a good platform to start with? The only thing was the motor issue like I stated. What crank, rods,pistons, etc are worth having? I havnt built motors before, all my previous shit ran till I got rid of it anyway?
    Last edited by 1SSWFO; 09-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Ok well I guess nobody wants to give any info on this? Oh well thanks I guess anyway!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The stock crank is good for 800hp its the pistons and rods that need changing. Would be nice to stroke it to a 383 or 396.
    So what did you use to get to your 551rwhp?

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

I have basic bolt ons with a pretty big cam and 180 shot direct port, offroad exhaust, fast 90mm intake and Nick Williams TB 90mm. 551hp on bottle and 396 off? I just hate to tear my SS up? The cam is really too big its killing my clutch. Runs fair but can't get it off the line. Stock rear 3.42 crap settup. 12.3@125mph is the best. The car I'm buying has the same settup on the NOS, and automatic, but bone stock otherwise.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Just would like to gut this Z and prob going with the LSX block ? I really have no idea what to do motor wise but i'd like to stroke it 402-416 and spray the hell out of it, 300 shot maybe 2 stage settup? Thats why I posted this up to get some help deciding? But havn't really got much feedback.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 1SSWFO View Post
    Just would like to gut this Z and prob going with the LSX block ? I really have no idea what to do motor wise but i'd like to stroke it 402-416 and spray the hell out of it, 300 shot maybe 2 stage settup? Thats why I posted this up to get some help deciding? But havn't really got much feedback.
    There is hardly enough info here and there are infinite setups...

What is your budget for engine, trans, rear, and electronics? Do you have an ET goal?

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

As far as a bugdet I got to do a bit at a time, block one month heads another month etc etc. ET wise I'd like to see 9's ? Rear will prob be Strange 60, stock tranny till it goes and then prob turbo 350. I really don't know thats why I'm posting this? I really have no idea what kind of money were talking about. I am not having someone build it for me, as far as machine work yes but assembly I will do. So what I'm looking for is similar builds done at home with price sheets and results as far as ET, Power, durability ?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

There are a ton of ways to run 9s.

Are you favoring the built motor/nitrous arrangement or are you looking for forced induction? It's still hard to tell you what to do without knowing what your budget is.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

I'm pretty set on the bottle just seems cheaper in the long run and I really don't like turbo's or chargers? I would say roughly in the motor probably $8500, don't really think I need $1200 dollar rods and $3500 crank to achieve what I want to do or do I? tranny and nos I have. Say $7000-$8500 for the motor with AFR 225 heads?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

I have a buddy running a forged 383 with MS4 cam and PRC 5.3's running 10.9's N/A and high 9's with a 150 pill. Really good heads and he would really be movin.

BTW I am beatin your SS times N/A running 12mph slower so you NEED some gear!!!!!!

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Well thats cool your car runs that good. Mine just really don't run like it should? I do need a rearend but instead I think I'm gonna quit beatin on my SS and abuse the Z? The Z ran 11.7 at 117 with exhaust and the N2O. I think I might just do a good rotating assembly and heads on it and suspension and see where it gets me. I would almost bet the track I run at would slow any cars time and speed down by atleast half a second and prob 5-7 MPH. It really sucks! I know guys that run in KY and they slowed way the hell down and didn't run nowhere close to what they did in KY? Oh well

black trans am

just get a 6.0 iron block and a stroker crank.... get a junki yard block and save ur self 2k from a lsx... if u want 9's a truck block will due... if ur runing a lsx and not hiting 900-1500 hp u just wasted money.. afr heads big cam and 350 trans and u can hit 10s ... 350 shot and 9s all day

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SSWFO View Post
    Well thats cool your car runs that good. Mine just really don't run like it should? I do need a rearend but instead I think I'm gonna quit beatin on my SS and abuse the Z? The Z ran 11.7 at 117 with exhaust and the N2O. I think I might just do a good rotating assembly and heads on it and suspension and see where it gets me. I would almost bet the track I run at would slow any cars time and speed down by atleast half a second and prob 5-7 MPH. It really sucks! I know guys that run in KY and they slowed way the hell down and didn't run nowhere close to what they did in KY? Oh well

I am impressed with your trap. If you get gears and a good launch that is 11flat territory.......

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    just get a 6.0 iron block and a stroker crank.... get a junki yard block and save ur self 2k from a lsx... if u want 9's a truck block will due... if ur runing a lsx and not hiting 900-1500 hp u just wasted money.. afr heads big cam and 350 trans and u can hit 10s ... 350 shot and 9s all day
    This is probably the cheapest and easist way to a 9 second slip. If I was gonna go this route I would prolly top it off with L92's and spray it. I have seen a couple make 520+ with a fairly mild cam. Throw in a little spray and instant 9's. When somebody finally comes out with a decent intake for them they are gonna be tough to beat

black trans am

l92... is the the ls7 style head? and if so fast has one and call eadlebrock up and see what they have to say maybe a proflow just have to do a cawl or dry sump and drop the eng down and see lots more power.. there is not a lot of hp gains but lets say ur eng drops hp @7200 down to 480.... u might only see 1-2 peak gains but the curve may gain 25 after peak

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

They are LS3 heads and flow 340's intake side box stock. Require a 4.0" bore. Cheaper than a LS6 ported head too. The only problem with them is the l92 or l76 intakes restrict them. These are the only available for fuel injection at this time. I think FAST is working on something........

Black
    99 SS

If you are planning on NO2 I would agree with blackbirdbrain89, go with an iron motor as it is stronger than the aluminum.

Thread Information