Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

got a new cam....

This is a discussion on got a new cam.... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If its a type of desktop dyno program I wouldnt put any faith in those numbers. Desktop dynos are almost ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

If its a type of desktop dyno program I wouldnt put any faith in those numbers. Desktop dynos are almost never accurate however the power difference they show between cams is right but the numbers probably wont be. There are simply way to many factors to take into account when using those programs that a computer doesnt account for. With that said it really doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the eps cam or the like would make more power mostly because it has been proven time and time again and the duration split on that cam is huge. Notice how the eps cam is a 222/226 or the 228r is a 228/228? Thats because the cams are made for cars with a more free flowing exhaust so they dont need as long of an exhaust duration also the lift is much higher on the aforementioned cams which means they will let more airflow into the cylinder thus making more power, finally the lsa on the eps and 228 are in the area of 112-114 which means the valves will be open together for a shorter period of time. This in turn will make for a smoother idle than the 109 lsa of the other cam but it will also move the power band higher which makes more peak power while the 109 lsa will make power sooner but will peter out long before the other two. Once you understand what the numbers on a cam mean its not too hard to figure out which ones would make good power for your setup. Not trying to come off as an ass put casting out opinions in favor of what a desktop dyno would say isnt that smart imo. Not saying I know it all, actually quite the contrary but just trying to point out a few things.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well just by looking at it, most of us know that cam isn't going to make a whole lot of power.

Sell it and buy something that has been proven or get a custom grind.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

i had always heard the thumpr series were mostly for the sound anyways and thats how they got their name.

88 camaro

@Johnstonj2005 the software im using is Dynomation 5. Its a good software, but when you get into heads with raised intake ports the power predicted by the software is on the low side. I only us it as a starting point, then experience, dyno and the track guides me to were i need to go.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

I have the 228r in my camaro now and i could not be happier if i were u i would go the route that i did and use the 228 cam with a set of P&P 243 heads. mind you i have an a4 thats currently getting a 3400 convertor put into it but it makes great power (IDK the numbers just yet) and is very streetable

here is a video in case your worried about it sounding stock
    Last edited by WICKEDLS1; 04-04-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: vid

Quote Originally Posted by Johnstonj2005 View Post
    i had always heard the thumpr series were mostly for the sound anyways and thats how they got their name.
    Yes that is a smaller version of the thumper cam series you have. They do make sound but they are also designed to perform quite well. Don't let the low lift and split duration fool you. They make a very nice flat torque curve starting right off idle.

I run a larger mother thumper version in a 406 I built and love the way it performs. Peaks around 6,000 in that engine, but I never planned to spin it that high anyway. It serves it's purpose for my needs.
    Car Craft just built a budget 406 with crappy 8:1 compression and "not that great" of a cylinder head and it made 400 HP and 450 ft. lbs. of torque. The torque curve was flat with well over 400 lbs. starting at 2,000 rpms up through 5500 or so. That's a fun street motor, and would have done better with proper compression and a better head.

These cams were based off of Comps circle track and roundy round cams that they had spent years designing so these sprint cars and modifieds make power coming out of the turns.
    There are a few people now running them in LS1's with good reviews. Not sure on HP numbers,,,but the torque curve will be high and flat. Check out Comps website, they have several dyno results from these cams in different engines.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes that is a smaller version of the thumper cam series you have. They do make sound but they are also designed to perform quite well. Don't let the low lift and split duration fool you. They make a very nice flat torque curve starting right off idle.

I run a larger mother thumper version in a 406 I built and love the way it performs. Peaks around 6,000 in that engine, but I never planned to spin it that high anyway. It serves it's purpose for my needs.
    Car Craft just built a budget 406 with crappy 8:1 compression and "not that great" of a cylinder head and it made 400 HP and 450 ft. lbs. of torque. The torque curve was flat with well over 400 lbs. starting at 2,000 rpms up through 5500 or so. That's a fun street motor, and would have done better with proper compression and a better head.

These cams were based off of Comps circle track and roundy round cams that they had spent years designing so these sprint cars and modifieds make power coming out of the turns.
    There are a few people now running them in LS1's with good reviews. Not sure on HP numbers,,,but the torque curve will be high and flat. Check out Comps website, they have several dyno results from these cams in different engines.
    Good to know, I'll have to look into them a little more. Always up for learning about more ways of achieving hp goals
    2004 CPM M6
    TSP Torqer v2 112lsa, Landspeed Stage II 241's, K&N drop-in, Blevins Tune, muffler delete, more to come
    8.33 @ 84.93 1.87 60' BTA FTW!! (Prior to heads and cam)
    Click for full size

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information