Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Good price for heads/cam install?

Ive been calling around and this seems to be the best yet.

To do the heads, cam and timing chain the labor is around $1400, tune is an additional $300.

I know his shop doesnt have a dyno but the guy is known for his top notch work so I think I can trust whatever type of tune he includes.

Seems reasonable seeing I got a couple of quotes around 3k

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

can't you just do it yourself?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Why not send your PCM to Frost while you're getting the heads and cam installed. Turn-around time is pretty quick, and it's $150 for a mail-order tune, last time I checked.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    can't you just do it yourself?
    If I could i wouldnt be asking this question...Im not a mechanic and im not just hoping into a heads cam install

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    If I could i wouldnt be asking this question...Im not a mechanic and im not just hoping into a heads cam install
    man....that's spending a lot of money that could go towards tools and other mods. Before you decide you can't do it go to ls1howto.com and read the write up there on doing heads cam. That write up is excellent and gives you a step by step on doing it. I would feel confident that most people could do that swap following those directions. Especially if it isn't your daily driver so you can take your time doing it. It's not near as hard as it sounds. Basically if you can follow instructions and have a basic use of tools you can do it.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

on my car i want to pay someone to do it, but like orion said, you could spend that money on tools or other parts, is not an easy job to do but is not impossible,
    what ill do on mine is start it, hopefully get it done my self, if i cant finish it. then i call a mechanic,
    same thing i said on the suspension mods, it took me 2 days, i got i done my self, saved money, bought some tools i could use, plus i felt good that i did it my self,
    i am no mechanic either but i do most of the job my self!

you post your questions here, members try to help you the best way they can, and try to save you some money, so the more answers you will get is do it your self..
    dont take it personal

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I did mine with time and the how to threads. I'm not the greatest mechanic but if you know your way around a garage and study the how to and other threads you'll be fine. Also if you get rid of those mids and get LT's you'll see more numbers with the head and cam.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I'm not doing my heads and cam myself, I know I dont have nearly the tools or skills, and if i screw up id be in bad shape.

My guy quoted me "about 1000" but that was an estimate using one of those computer software things. if he just searches "cam swap" it should be accurate, because that requires head, oil pump, and timing chain removal, so those shouldn't be estimated separately.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It is not very hard to swap out heads, cam and timing chain. There are many articles on this and other sites as well as you tube to help you with this project. Don't get me wrong, it's still alot of work, it's just not difficult work. The entire job should be about 15 hours for you and a buddy and a case or two of beer. Just take alot of pictures before and after you remove something. Keep a log of procedures and things that did not go by the book. Also get yourself a manual as a guide. Two weekends in the garage should do it. I would take the car to a shop with a dyno for a full tune. Frost is great with the mail order stuff but with new heads and cam you should get a dyno tune. Good luck.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    on my car i want to pay someone to do it, but like orion said, you could spend that money on tools or other parts, is not an easy job to do but is not impossible,
    what ill do on mine is start it, hopefully get it done my self, if i cant finish it. then i call a mechanic,
    same thing i said on the suspension mods, it took me 2 days, i got i done my self, saved money, bought some tools i could use, plus i felt good that i did it my self,
    i am no mechanic either but i do most of the job my self!

you post your questions here, members try to help you the best way they can, and try to save you some money, so the more answers you will get is do it your self..
    dont take it personal
    Takes a lot more then that for me to take something personal man...I dont have the patience, the time, tools, mechanical knowledge or the room to do it myself. I put my own stall converter in w/ a bud's help and that was a nightmare lol..Way i figure is it was a pretty straight forward question, why respond at all if your going to say "why cant you just do it yourself" Now I understand everyone on the internet is a mechanic (especially on musclecar boards) but im not
    Last edited by BrownsMillsAntz; 04-04-2012 at 03:16 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

$1,400 sounds about right. Local shop here wants $800 for just doing the heads. I probably wouldn't do it myself either. 10 years ago I was alot more gung ho about this stuff.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Yea I thought so, I inquired w/ a few other LS specialty places locally and they wanted around 3k...there on crack. Same job they just charge double the labor rate...no thanks.

Thread Information