Post GM - Myth Busting the 3k OCI

GM / State of California Announce Historic Partnership in Campaign Against the 3,000 Mile Drain Interval Myth

In June, General Motors partnered with the California Environmental Protection Agency and its Integrated Waste Management Board in the state’s “3,000 Mile Myth” campaign to educate drivers on reducing motor oil consumption by following their automakers’ recommended oil drain intervals. An article titled “GM, California to Bust ‘3,000 Mile Myth” by Nancy DeMarco in the June 11 edition of Lube Report stated that “73 percent of California drivers change their oil more frequently than their vehicle manufacturers recommend.”

The result of all these oil changes is millions of gallons of unnecessary oil consumption in California alone, according to GM’s Ray Strahorn. And according to the California Waste Management Board, unnecessary oil changes not only generate millions of gallons of waste oil per year, they have the potential to pollute the state’s natural resources.

The Lube Report article could be something of a “shot heard round the world” since it is a clear indication that GM is no longer going to sit on the sidelines and allow the major oil companies dictate drain interval levels. The auto manufacturer has more than 25 years of data supporting its Oil Life System and a great deal of confidence in extended drain intervals. “The traditional 3,000-mile oil change recommendation was based on engine and oil technologies of the past,” GM was quoted as saying. There are more than 31 million cars on the road today utilizing the GM Oil Life System, which evaluates oil life based on a computer algorithm.

Amsoil has had its 25,000mile/12-month drain interval since 1972. Isn’t it interesting how the rest of the industry is now starting to catch up, especially now since the environmental aspect is of so much concern to many.

When an oil is designed to operate to 25,000miles or one year and when the filtration is adequate, it can be done with confidence. In fact, Amsoil has a 25,000mile/12-month guarantee with its top tier lubricants in normal duty applications. This has been validated by 35 years of industry testing and by tens of thousands of motorists and millons of of over-the-road miles.

For more, read the full report below:

http://www.amsoil.com/news/LubeReport6-11-08%20.pdf

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I do agree the 3K myth is not up to speed with today's SM rated oils for sure. Oil Change Intervals must be directed by a Used Oil analysis. I run 10K OCI's in my wife's Mercedes
    and the TBN is still above 3.0 so she could easily go another round....

Post Oil filter...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I do agree the 3K myth is not up to speed with today's SM rated oils for sure. Oil Change Intervals must be directed by a Used Oil analysis. I run 10K OCI's in my wife's Mercedes
    and the TBN is still above 3.0 so she could easily go another round....
    Yes, I agree the UOA is the most scientific way to see how the motor oil responds to your specific application and driving habits.

I’m curious Sarge? What oil filter do you use? I'm sure you've already posted lots on oil filtration, just too lazy to use the search option right now.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL....Amsoil or Napa...I got a case of Amsoil filters and change them every other OCI on the GTO.....Not to stroke your pud but the Amsoil filters flow better and filter like no tomorrow.....
    But for OTC filters WIX/NAPA/AC Delco

Thread Information