Results 1 to 8 of 8

GM hotcam

This is a discussion on GM hotcam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I did my own search and have found good and bad things about this cam. However, my goals right now ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    GM hotcam

    I did my own search and have found good and bad things about this cam. However, my goals right now are for performance and sound on a budget. I recently found a hotcam for $150 so I think I may go ahead and scoop it up. What other supporting mods besides springs will I need? Which springs should I go with? LS6, Patriot or other? Of course I will retune after the install.

    Also, with such a small cam will I need to do a stall? As of right now I hadn't planned on running a stall. I read that I do not need one, but will only benefit from it.

  2. #2
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    keep an eye on ebay, I picked up my 2,800 tci stall for $150 shipped and new it retails for over $500. you don't need a stall, but it would make a big difference

  3. #3
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    The stall will make a MUCH bigger positive difference in an A4 car than a Hot Cam. You will get sound from the hotcam... but not so much performance. You really need the stall, even for the hotcam. For all of the work that is involved, you would be *much* better suited to wait and put something in that you will be more happy with. It's true; you might get 20ish rwhp with that cam, but you can expect 40-50 from a better suited grind.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    I just can't afford a $300+ cam, plus a stall. Guess I may have to do more debating.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    I just can't afford a $300+ cam, plus a stall. Guess I may have to do more debating.
    My suggestion almost all the time with car stuff, is do it once and do it right. In the long run it will save you money (and time). Maybe just do the stall first ? That should give a good seat of the pants (and actually going down the road) performance increase.

    I am in a similar but different boat. My car would really wake up with a set of heads, but so would a set of 4.11s. Can't afford both (getting a 9") personally I would rather the car be more quicker at the track with gears (and able to use stickies without worry) then gain horsepower numbers on the dyno.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    I hear what you are saying. I just need to rethink my plans and do more research.

  7. #7
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    My suggestion almost all the time with car stuff, is do it once and do it right. In the long run it will save you money (and time). Maybe just do the stall first ? That should give a good seat of the pants (and actually going down the road) performance increase.

    I am in a similar but different boat. My car would really wake up with a set of heads, but so would a set of 4.11s. Can't afford both (getting a 9") personally I would rather the car be more quicker at the track with gears (and able to use stickies without worry) then gain horsepower numbers on the dyno.
    The heads get the nod for quicker at the track for sure. It's rare to see 4.11s EVER help out at the track (I know, backwards of old school thinking) unless you are pulling really tall tires.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The heads get the nod for quicker at the track for sure. It's rare to see 4.11s EVER help out at the track (I know, backwards of old school thinking) unless you are pulling really tall tires.
    Well for me the 4.11s come with a Moser 9" and sticky tires, getting under 2.0 60's (not to mention it bogged badly last time with DRs) will help me alot right now. Not to mention not spinning badly for every shift.

    Sorry to thread jack, but yes lots of research is a good idea.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FT: GM hotcam for LS1
    By NoscamaroSS in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 06:59 AM
  2. Wanted: GM HotCam
    By Spieldawg in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
  3. LS1 hotcam kit
    By Kavslayer in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
  4. hotcam
    By ken harris in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 06:37 PM
  5. Hotcam
    By john hollander in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •