getting ready to install some ls6 valve springs.

This is a discussion on getting ready to install some ls6 valve springs. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; motor is a stock cam LS1 My first question is do i need to change the seats at all? i ...

71 datsun

getting ready to install some ls6 valve springs.

motor is a stock cam LS1

My first question is do i need to change the seats at all? i was reading that the ls6 seat is thicker then a ls1 seat by .015, when i bought the ls6 springs i did not get the seats with them, as i was told originally that they are a direct drop in.

second question is has any one ever noticed if the LS6 springs do indeed give you a few more usable RPMs? what i mean by this is right now my LS1 pretty much hits a air wall ( valve float i think ) around 6200, so thats where i shift, but i need to run 4th out to 6500 threw the traps so my thinking was that the LS6 springs might move that air wall up a little and i wondered if any one every tested this and took note of the max RPM difference between the springs on a stock LS1 cam? any data and help would be great i am swapping the springs in a few days, thanks guys.

I'm betting GM built LS6 springs with more seat pressure in mind compared to an LS1 spring, considering the camshaft they had to control.

What that seat pressure difference is I don't know. Maybe others would just drop them in, but I would check installed height (whatever GM recommends for that spring) and make sure seat pressure at that installed height is where it's supposed to be.

With that said the LS6 spring should give you more usable rpm before valve float/bounce, whether the stock LS1 cam would make power up there is another story.

I've read about these LS1 springs losing seat pressure over time with mileage, to as little as 60 lbs. Typical hydraulic cam needs 100-120 lbs. seat pressure to work properly. So it's possible some fresh LS6 springs at the very least might perk your motor up just a tad.

Thread Information