View Poll Results: Which cam for my LS1?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magic Stick 3

18 56.25%
  • Torquer 2

14 43.75%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Getting a cam, 2 to choose from. Which one?

This is a discussion on Getting a cam, 2 to choose from. Which one? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Haha yeah but 3 or so mpg isnt even noticable to me, gas is cheap again so who cares haha. ...

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Haha yeah but 3 or so mpg isnt even noticable to me, gas is cheap again so who cares haha. I will definitely be running dual springs, most likely PRC's but brand doesnt really matter to me as long they are duals and rated to .650 lift.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Should both pushrods and springs be replaced? I know springs for sure. Also, I'm not really worried about 3mpg either, lol

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Most people replace both. 7.425 is the proper length for this cam but im debating on replacing them. I would rather bend pushrods on a missed shift or if something along those lines happens than suffer damage elsewhere such as internals. Ill most likely end up putting hardened ones but keep my limiter low.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Most people replace both. 7.425 is the proper length for this cam but im debating on replacing them. I would rather bend pushrods on a missed shift or if something along those lines happens than suffer damage elsewhere such as internals. Ill most likely end up putting hardened ones but keep my limiter low.
    I think the same way as far as getting hardened pushrods. In fact I have the stockers in mine and they have not had any trouble with going up to 6500-6700 RPM However, if the cam you want needs a longer or shorter pushrod, then I would change to keep all the geometry correct.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I think the same way as far as getting hardened pushrods. In fact I have the stockers in mine and they have not had any trouble with going up to 6500-6700 RPM However, if the cam you want needs a longer or shorter pushrod, then I would change to keep all the geometry correct.
    Ahh damn i overlooked that last part. Good point.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Change over to hardened PR's for sure. As I just said on another thread they flex with the higher seat pressures of upgraded springs causing valvetrain instability.

The guy on Tech (chrs 1313) paid attn. to all the details get his setup to perform. He has done some weight reduction, made a really effective homemade ramair system and degreed his cam on install to insure the proper valve events and matched it with a 4000 stall. That is a great cam for street/strip and mine is similiar and on the same XFI/X-ER lobes but that is a factory freak car IMO and his #'s/times will be hard to duplicate.

Sorry I digress but with a good tune it is a perfectly fine DD. Mine is just a little b!tchy at cold start but then has good manners and is a literal BLAST to drive.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Change over to hardened PR's for sure. As I just said on another thread they flex with the higher seat pressures of upgraded springs causing valvetrain instability.

The guy on Tech (chrs 1313) paid attn. to all the details get his setup to perform. He has done some weight reduction, made a really effective homemade ramair system and degreed his cam on install to insure the proper valve events and matched it with a 4000 stall. That is a great cam for street/strip and mine is similiar and on the same XFI/X-ER lobes but that is a factory freak car IMO and his #'s/times will be hard to duplicate.

Sorry I digress but with a good tune it is a perfectly fine DD. Mine is just a little b!tchy at cold start but then has good manners and is a literal BLAST to drive.
    Oh i completely agree with the freak part. Those are insane cam only numbers and that really does only happen on perfect cars, and his is. i just love the potential the cam has, its specs alone scream torque.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Oh i completely agree with the freak part. Those are insane cam only numbers and that really does only happen on perfect cars, and his is. i just love the potential the cam has, its specs alone scream torque.

I know. Sick car for sure. I have 5.3 heads and a FAST 90/90 and we are making about the same dyno #'s. He has he track times to back'em up too.

I will have some track times soon as my DR's are finally here. They T & T here on Sundays it has just been too cold or raining the last few weeks.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Yea I saw a few ppl on LS1 tech in shock of those numbers they wanted him to take a pic of his stock heads lol.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

So, are you saying that, that is not a good cam if you dont have a perfect or "factory freak" car? Or just you only put down those kinds of numbers on a perfect car? Just to make sure I read that right

White
    99Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    Sweet, thats what I like to hear
    i am driving from south texas to az thats good news for me to. In my opinion i have the 224 224 545 545 114 cam and wish i should have gone with a bigger cam

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

So, are you saying that, that is not a good cam if you dont have a perfect or "factory freak" car? Or just you only put down those kinds of numbers on a perfect car? Just to make sure I read that right
    He just states that some stock cars put down alot more hp than others. Nothing wrong with that cam... Some cars can run in the 12s bone stock, I bet Chris's car was one of them.

Excellent Cam

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6ICK2K View Post
    He just states that some stock cars put down alot more hp than others. Nothing wrong with that cam... Some cars can run in the 12s bone stock, I bet Chris's car was one of them.

Excellent Cam
    Well said!!

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99w69kitt View Post
    i am driving from south texas to az thats good news for me to. In my opinion i have the 224 224 545 545 114 cam and wish i should have gone with a bigger cam
    Well, what kind of numbers do you put down with that cam?
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6ICK2K View Post

Excellent Cam
    Ah, thats what I was thinking, but figured I'd ask just to make sure. I just want to make sure I get as much info as possible before I make my choice

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Basically, dont expect 420whp from this cam. Its all about where your numbers are BEFORE the cam. Expect about a 60-65 whp gain. It really depends on the condition of your motor and such before hand. The tune plays a big factor.

White
    99Trans am

Well, what kind of numbers do you put down with that cam?

Ah, thats what I was thinking, but figured I'd ask just to make sure. I just want to make sure I get as much info as possible before I make my choice
    i hit a 12.3 in the 1/4 110mph 1.8 60

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Basically, dont expect 420whp from this cam. Its all about where your numbers are BEFORE the cam. Expect about a 60-65 whp gain. It really depends on the condition of your motor and such before hand. The tune plays a big factor.
    True, but I have no factory freak, but maybe I'll still get some good numbers with it. I just have to find someone that knows how to tune an LS1 really good

Quote Originally Posted by 99w69kitt View Post
    i hit a 12.3 in the 1/4 110mph 1.8 60
    Thats really good, just some spray and your well into the 11's

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Expect a little bit more. Pm'ed Predator Z on it, stated aroound 70 RWHP. Tad more lol .

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

MS3...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Predator Z is more overhyped than the Street Warrior intake.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information