Thread: getting a cam

black
    1998 Camaro SS

getting a cam

hi guys i just was shopping for a cam for my 98 ss and just had a few questions. i was looking at this cam package http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=51 . it says on their website that i don't need a tune, i know i should get one but will it hurt my car to drive it for a lil while before getting one. i also wondered if i needed to buy the gasket package and bolt package that they sell or if the originals are fine. also is that cam a good choice? also if i buy this package what else would i need to have this fully installed and ready to go? thanks for the help guys

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    hi guys i just was shopping for a cam for my 98 ss and just had a few questions. i was looking at this cam package http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=51 . it says on their website that i don't need a tune, i know i should get one but will it hurt my car to drive it for a lil while before getting one. i also wondered if i needed to buy the gasket package and bolt package that they sell or if the originals are fine. also is that cam a good choice? also if i buy this package what else would i need to have this fully installed and ready to go? thanks for the help guys
    i would diff say get the new gaskets. you might be able to get away with the same bolts, but new is always better. i would hate to get everything back together and then find out that something was leaking and now i had to wait while the parts got shipped out. as far as the tune, im sure you could drive with out one because it's a mild cam. but to really get every thing out of it, a tune would be best. A cam is a great mod, my favorite so far. Enjoy
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 01-02-2009 at 12:05 PM.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Which one are you looking at?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Which one are you looking at?
    +1

black
    1998 Camaro SS

i was looking at the 220/220 .551/.551 112 lsa. i have a 98 ss m6. i also saw a texas speed cam 220/220 .581/.581 112 lsa. is this a better cam? i was wondering what ALL im going to need to do this install. so far the list is cam, springs, retainers, gasket kit, pushrods, an ls2 timing chain and a new oil pump while im in there. is that all i will need?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd go for at least a 224/224-228/228 cam. No drivability would be sacrificed and you'd be leaving substantial power on the table otherwise.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You don"t need the pump, chain, or retainers either. Chain and pump aren't a bad idea if the car has alot of miles tho. Retainers if it will see high rpms.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

+1. The retainers should come with the kit though. You'll like the TR 224. I've heard nothing but praises about that cam.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

so does anyone else agree that the 224/224 is a good choice for a dd. will a 228/228 give me more power but with near the same driveability? Also, what is a good place to get a tune?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    so does anyone else agree that the 224/224 is a good choice for a dd. will a 228/228 give me more power but with near the same driveability? Also, what is a good place to get a tune?
    a 228/228 can be made very drivable for a dd easily, if you get a tune from someone that really knows what they are doing.
    I'd ask people and speed shops around your area, I'm sure there is someone close by to you that can quickly tune it to your likeing

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do the pump.....you have a 98 which have suspect pumps. Get some ARP head bolts and I personally would put an underdrive pulley back on it. The pulley has to come off anyhow, might as well throw that underdrive on there and pick up a couple more hp. Check out backstreet performance in Medina......they have a great reputation tuning LSx motors.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i say do the pump to and get a tune. also look at texas speed thay have cam kits to, thats where i got my cam kit from.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Okay ya I agree if it's a 98 get a pump.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Don't cheap out... spend $35 bucks on a LS2 chain while your there. Your gear should be fine...

Thread Information