Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Gen III or IV engine or wait for Gen V???

This is a discussion on Gen III or IV engine or wait for Gen V??? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So, if I stick with the LS-1 block: How much does it typically cost to re-sleeve one (assuming it needs ...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

So, if I stick with the LS-1 block:

How much does it typically cost to re-sleeve one (assuming it needs it)?

Does rebuilding one of these short block typically cost about the same as an old small block does?

Am I loosing a lot by sticking with a smaller bore than the 4.00 and 4.060 bored LS2/3?

Excellent questions.

If your block is too far gone to be honed (you'll have to dial bore gauge it) then sleeving typically will cost about $150 per sleeve, but this price differs alot depending on the machine shop used.

You would have the option however to install Darton sleeves to increase the bore size but that's an easy $1,000 or more. That brings up the bore diameter question....

The common bore dimensions that most engine builders prefer to start with when building HP is a minimum of 4". The larger bores unshroud the valves in the cylinder heads, and therefore flow increases, more HP is made without changing the cylinder head. The larger the bore,,,the better. There comes a tradeoff however and some will argue that the increased drag due to more surface area hurts HP. This is where small ring packs and sometimes even low tension rings come into play.
    Your LS engines use a very small 3mm ring package standard, and most of your aftermarket has gone this route as well.

The cost of building the short block vs the gen 1 is hard to determine depending on what needs done. Typically your standard machine work processes and prices will apply to any block (ie: bore/hone/line hone or bore/deck/machine crank/balance etc...) But if you get into sleeves or any type of intensive work,,,things change. Stroker rotating assemblies I've noticed are a bit more pricey for LS engines if you go that route.
    The LS engine really starts to get more expensive when it comes time to by the cylinder heads, intake manifolds and a few other odds and ends that will cost a fortune compared to a gen 1 sbc.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I do plan to buy a head/cam set like Comp. Cams or Texas Speed matched head/cam/springs/push-rods/etc. I know Comp Cams runs about $3,500 for theirs. That is the core of my project. I do want to stay with the factory stroke, the stock stroke is more than long enough for me. I don't want to go hog wild on the block if I don't have to.

At 100,000 miles (when I would most likely do it), I would hate to tear the LS-1 down and find I have to re-sleeve all of the bores on top of a rebuild. I doubt that there is a way to determine if it would need sleeves before tear down. It sounds at that price, I might be better off trying to find a re-man short block or something, but I can't seem to find prices for re-manned blocks, just new. Assuming that I could re-use the LS-1s crankshaft, I wouldn't mind find a remanned, bare LS-2/3 block or something for the bottom end (should I need to).

How common is it to see LS-1's needing a re-sleeve? I enjoy a good full throttle run now and then, but use Mobil One for oil changes every 3,000 miles ( I know, its probably wasting money) and make sure the cars maintained properly. I would hope that all my block would need is a .010 honing and new bearings just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I would hate to tear the LS-1 down and find I have to re-sleeve all of the bores on top of a rebuild. I doubt that there is a way to determine if it would need sleeves before tear down. It sounds at that price, I might be better off trying to find a re-man short block or something, but I can't seem to find prices for re-manned blocks, just new. Assuming that I could re-use the LS-1s crankshaft, I wouldn't mind find a remanned, bare LS-2/3 block or something for the bottom end (should I need to).

How common is it to see LS-1's needing a re-sleeve?
    Yeah, you won't know till you tear it down, and the machine shop with runa dial bore gauge down the cylinders (unless you have one of your own) and tell you how out of round the cylinders are and how much bore is needed to clean them up (make them round again).

It may or may not be worn to the point where a .010" hone won't clean it up. The more miles it has the worse it could be, how it's driven (highway or alot of stop and go) and how hard it's driven, the quality of the oil and how frequently it's been changed,,,,all this would play a roll in the shape it's in.

My wife is driving hers every day 200 miles a day, so I'm just letting the miles rack up, not even going to bother trying to rebuild. When it shows signs of wear (smoke or noise) I'll change it. I had to prepare myself for a weekend engine swap, so rebuilding something and being in machine shop jail, waiting on parts etc...just isn't going to be an option for me on this car (she has to have it) So I've already bought a brand new LS6 crate engine from MTI that's ready to go when the time comes.

This is an option for you as well but it's not exactly cheap, these crate engines are no longer $3200 like they used to be.

You have to download the pic to another site, such as Photobucket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information