Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Gasoline

This is a discussion on Gasoline within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've used Shell 93 octane for years, no problem. Glad to see it is on a high standard. I sometimes ...

  1. #41
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    I've used Shell 93 octane for years, no problem. Glad to see it is on a high standard. I sometimes put in Sunoco 94 octane, maybe no longer. My car isn't tuned to take advantage yet anyway. I don't want anymore ethanol in my fuel here, I need to do some research and find out who sells the gas with no ethanol. I would pay more for it....

  2. #42
    Turgid Member Goat-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, Florida by way of Da' Burgh
    Posts
    390

    Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I've used Shell 93 octane for years, no problem. Glad to see it is on a high standard. I sometimes put in Sunoco 94 octane, maybe no longer. My car isn't tuned to take advantage yet anyway. I don't want anymore ethanol in my fuel here, I need to do some research and find out who sells the gas with no ethanol. I would pay more for it....
    We now refer to non ethanol blend as "Neat" gas. It's like when you order a shot of unchilled no ice/mixer Bourbon. (make mine a Makers Mark or a Booker)

  3. #43
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    There are a few states that still sell NON ethanol gas. There are also some states like Montana (if memory serves) that only has methanol in their lower octane gas, 91-93 octanes don't have it.

    Now that's the way I wish every state would be. Only the performance oriented people buy the higher octane anyway, leave the ethanol gas to the gas sipping commuters.

    Dig around on the internet, there are some great websites that list ethanol state by state, even down to certain stations in your area that don't have it. Probably won't be this way forever though,,,,seems the EPA and ethanol are like cancer,,,,it keeps spreading.

  4. #44
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    There are a few states that still sell NON ethanol gas. There are also some states like Montana (if memory serves) that only has methanol in their lower octane gas, 91-93 octanes don't have it.

    Now that's the way I wish every state would be. Only the performance oriented people buy the higher octane anyway, leave the ethanol gas to the gas sipping commuters.

    Dig around on the internet, there are some great websites that list ethanol state by state, even down to certain stations in your area that don't have it. Probably won't be this way forever though,,,,seems the EPA and ethanol are like cancer,,,,it keeps spreading.
    i am 99% sure michigan does not use ethanol..

  5. #45
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i am 99% sure michigan does not use ethanol..
    You are probably right. I seem to remember the motor city didn't have ethanol. I have a nice list around here somewhere.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are probably right. I seem to remember the motor city didn't have ethanol. I have a nice list around here somewhere.
    If you could post the list or a link to the website that would be great.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Yes that would be great. I've looked around the web a little, and found nothing definite. If I find something I'll post it on this thread.

  8. #48
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Michigan DOES use the ethanol. Sunoco and Marathon. Its everythwere in Michigan. I try my hardest to not fill up with that.

  9. #49
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Michigan DOES use the ethanol. Sunoco and Marathon. Its everythwere in Michigan. I try my hardest to not fill up with that.
    up here we dont have any signs saying 10% or more ..

  10. #50
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    up here we dont have any signs saying 10% or more ..
    That's where it gets tricky. Each state has their own set of rules. It's kind of screwed up. Not every state is required to advertise ethanol content. So there are states that have ethanol in the gas but they are not required by law to put the ethanol sticker on the pumps. They leave it up to the individual stations as to whether they want to advertise it.

    The states required to advertise ethanol are also listed on that website. I just need to find the stupid link

  11. #51
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    up here we dont have any signs saying 10% or more ..
    Was the question if they have MORE then 10%? I didnt read into the thread If so, then correct... Ive never seen MORE then 10%

  12. #52
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Was the question if they have MORE then 10%? I didnt read into the thread If so, then correct... Ive never seen MORE then 10%
    no you are right...i was saying there are no signs saying ethanol period..but the lowest i have ever seen anywhere is 10%..so i was just saying..i didn't see any signs saying ethanol at any percentage

  13. #53
    Member 2000dreambird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    618

    silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    It could be a regional/brokering anomaly. Down here it's crap. Shell/Mobile/Chevron as best as I can tell keep their process in house and are really uptight about their quality standards. It also has a lot to do with formulation,addditives,blend,refining ect. Here Hess is a low grade gas.
    up my way in MA sunoco has 95 but you all post that yours only have 93 is it just a north east thing.also i only run sunoco in mine never had a problem but i do have a ruff idel now that you mention. my options around here are BP,Mobil(Exxon),and Irving...shell is kinda a ride but fill up on it when i can.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    coon rapids, MN
    Age
    52
    Posts
    404

    red
    2000TA

    can you add some hi-octane unleaded ,like VP unleaded racing fuels?

  15. #55
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    can you add some hi-octane unleaded ,like VP unleaded racing fuels?
    you could, but it won't help you unless your car is setup for it.

  16. #56
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    can you add some hi-octane unleaded ,like VP unleaded racing fuels?
    Yes, that works, if you can find it. There are remote places I'm told that sell 100 octane unleaded at the pumps, but I have yet to see one.

    If it meets the EPA requirements (which it does) you would think it would be more wide spread and available at most towns.
    I've got a few cars I had to switch to 91 (from 94) when I moved out here. Had to change the tunes a bit, this 91 sucks. And there is talk that another point might be taken away in the near future.

  17. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Age
    80
    Posts
    26

    Metallic Red/Charcoal
    2000 Z28

    I'll try to be brief. To the best of my knowledge, all refineries produce a base gasoline product that is the SAME. It goes into pipe lines, for the most part, and is dispursed through out the US to distribution points. The same pipeline may distribute to a dozen or more oil company distributors. Its all the same grade at that point. Each oil company produces it's own addative that turns that product into what they sell. 87,91, 93 whatever as their brand. Our goverment subsidizes the ethenol producers to make ethenol, it's not profitable to make it with out this subsidy and in turn our goverment subsidizes the oil companys for useing it in their fuel, which they inturn sell to us at a profit. the oil company loves this because to go the same distance on an ethenol blend versus straigt gas you have to buy more. In fact fuel producers/distributors are subsidized for adding ethenol to their product that have loaded on ships and is destined for sale around the world. Yes we pay for it to go else where. Folks this is not funny and no body even questions it. Sad but true.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Move View Post
    I'll try to be brief. To the best of my knowledge, all refineries produce a base gasoline product that is the SAME. It goes into pipe lines, for the most part, and is dispursed through out the US to distribution points. The same pipeline may distribute to a dozen or more oil company distributors. Its all the same grade at that point. Each oil company produces it's own addative that turns that product into what they sell. 87,91, 93 whatever as their brand. Our goverment subsidizes the ethenol producers to make ethenol, it's not profitable to make it with out this subsidy and in turn our goverment subsidizes the oil companys for useing it in their fuel, which they inturn sell to us at a profit. the oil company loves this because to go the same distance on an ethenol blend versus straigt gas you have to buy more. In fact fuel producers/distributors are subsidized for adding ethenol to their product that have loaded on ships and is destined for sale around the world. Yes we pay for it to go else where. Folks this is not funny and no body even questions it. Sad but true.
    True. Sad, but true what you wrote.

  19. #59
    Junior Member prater_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    87

    Black
    2002 Z/28

    How about Quick Trip gas?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gasoline Question
    By SilentTrouble in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM
  2. gasoline in the ear !
    By WS6S in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
  3. Question: gasoline octane for 99 Z28
    By wkalatschan in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 05:01 AM
  4. Stealing gasoline
    By doberman 152 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •