Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

gas mileage after cam?

This is a discussion on gas mileage after cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones That would be a question for an experienced tuner. I know it's the duty cycle that ...

  1. #21
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That would be a question for an experienced tuner. I know it's the duty cycle that will determine what you need. Generally anymore than 80% duty cycle and you have to start looking at bigger injectors.
    When I had my car dyno tuned, they said my injectors were somewhere around 98% duty cycle...

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knightstown, IN
    Posts
    81

    white
    2000 camaro Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    A4!
    I've always heard guys say that around a 114lsa was better for a A4.

  3. #23
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    A4!
    youll want a 114 lsa for better drive ability
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    Well now is the best time to mention I have little education with cams...please go on. What should I look for? Spec and manufacturer.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    Also I do not plan on stalling right now, and if anything I will have 3.42 at most. That is only if I get the rear from a friend. I am on a budget and initially planned on cam and heads after I got out of the NAVY. But if the price is right I will have the rear and cam.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knightstown, IN
    Posts
    81

    white
    2000 camaro Z-28

    Don't forget about the cost for pushrods, valve springs, and retainers. Well speaking of I have a set of 918's with titanium retainers I'm wanting to sell.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knightstown, IN
    Posts
    81

    white
    2000 camaro Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    Well now is the best time to mention I have little education with cams...please go on. What should I look for? Spec and manufacturer.
    I've had experiance witht the Thunder Racing cam and likes it. I've heard alot of good things coming out of Texas Speed also I wouldn't go with much more then 228-230 for the drivablity, but remember as I posted above depending on your lift you'll probably have to upgrade a few things on your heads primarly valve springs and retainers, push rods are a great ideal to.

  8. #28
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    Also I do not plan on stalling right now, and if anything I will have 3.42 at most. That is only if I get the rear from a friend. I am on a budget and initially planned on cam and heads after I got out of the NAVY. But if the price is right I will have the rear and cam.
    Those first few words caught my attention. I personally wouldn't do a camshaft without a converter first. Only the mildest of cams would work with a tight stock converter.
    Anything remotely large on the camshaft with a stock converter will cause idle problems, especially with alot of overlap, and a very soggy engine down low among other things that will probably leave you dissapointed after all that work.
    Do the converter first to give the camshaft a fighting chance.

  9. #29
    Member emoFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    321

    black
    99 Z28

    ok thanks for the info every one

  10. #30
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Do the converter first to give the camshaft a fighting chance.
    exactly! you would be suprized at how much of a difference just a converter alone makes on a stock ls motor....(2,500-3,000 will really wake it up). I went with a 2,800tci

    plus the stock vavle springs are only good for stock and no more.

    hey texasglock23 thankyou for your service!

  11. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    exactly! you would be suprized at how much of a difference just a converter alone makes on a stock ls motor....(2,500-3,000 will really wake it up). I went with a 2,800tci

    plus the stock vavle springs are only good for stock and no more.

    hey texasglock23 thankyou for your service!
    You are very welcome. Although I never really fully except them. I have the utmost respect for our ground troops deployed. I sit on a boat miles away.

    Back to the topic and sorry to hijack, but hopefully this will help others out as well.

    I found a new hotcam for $150. I really wanted to wait in a stall until after I got out and had the money later on. So now I am back to the decision if I will wait in everything until then or go all out now.

  12. #32
    Member GNICTRY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    558

    Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

    damn...wish mine wasnt effected...mods in sig

    did cam/springs...228/581/114 from texas I get around 15mpg drive neighborhood roads a loterg
    #148,LS6 intake, pp tb, SLP Lid, SLP maf, OBX LT into Y, Hooker, 4K Circle D Stall, 3.73 richmond gears, Performabuilt Lvl 2, tranny cooler, 228 texas with supporting mods and tune by Frost, Dyno: 365rwhp & 343rwtq

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    44

    red
    98 T/A

    I take it you are from the Richmond area?

  14. #34
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    You are very welcome. Although I never really fully except them. I have the utmost respect for our ground troops deployed. I sit on a boat miles away.

    Back to the topic and sorry to hijack, but hopefully this will help others out as well.

    I found a new hotcam for $150. I really wanted to wait in a stall until after I got out and had the money later on. So now I am back to the decision if I will wait in everything until then or go all out now.
    I'd stay away from the hot cam....nothing wrong with it, its just a very small cam. and a swap is a big job...or lots of labor to pay a shop then a week later want a bigger cam

  15. #35
    Member emoFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    321

    black
    99 Z28

    well guys keep the info coming, im currently in the market for a cam, so any input on a cam for a DD car would be great!

  16. #36
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    well guys keep the info coming, im currently in the market for a cam, so any input on a cam for a DD car would be great!

    Keep doing exactly what you are doing, get as much info as you can. I talked to everybody I knew, called lots of shops, and read for hours on the internet till I came up with the cam that I wanted. I was going to get a custom grind, but luckily Vengeance had the exact cam already.

    Feel free to come down south whenever we have another gtg and then you can actually see how they sound, drive, and perform.

    Here is one of the reasons I am happy with my cam. Only change for the car was putting in the cam stuff.

  17. #37
    Member GNICTRY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    558

    Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

    ME?...address wise ya...chesterfield county but I not work far from home as of now and take back way...we moving to city soon though...erg

  18. #38
    Member GNICTRY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    558

    Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

    Mine is a DD I must have a lead foot ....cam is great in issues...pulls great...keep in mind mine is not heads/cam just cam with mods in sig

  19. #39
    Member twoolley08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    170

    black
    2000 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    well guys keep the info coming, im currently in the market for a cam, so any input on a cam for a DD car would be great!
    so what all do u have done to your car so far and what are you lookin to gain from a cam

  20. #40
    Member emoFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    321

    black
    99 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Keep doing exactly what you are doing, get as much info as you can. I talked to everybody I knew, called lots of shops, and read for hours on the internet till I came up with the cam that I wanted. I was going to get a custom grind, but luckily Vengeance had the exact cam already.

    Feel free to come down south whenever we have another gtg and then you can actually see how they sound, drive, and perform.

    Here is one of the reasons I am happy with my cam. Only change for the car was putting in the cam stuff.
    Click for full size
    yea thanks man! im doing research like crazy! so wat other mods do you have on your car? those are some great numbers man!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gas Mileage
    By VOODOOII in forum External Engine
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM
  2. Mileage
    By JwMonE99 in forum LT1
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 06:06 AM
  3. LS1 Gas Mileage
    By LS1Powerhouse in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 07:14 PM
  4. bad gas mileage ls1
    By waylonSS in forum General Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 05:10 PM
  5. 3.73 gas mileage?
    By jakef777 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •