Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

gas mileage after cam?

This is a discussion on gas mileage after cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones That would be a question for an experienced tuner. I know it's the duty cycle that ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That would be a question for an experienced tuner. I know it's the duty cycle that will determine what you need. Generally anymore than 80% duty cycle and you have to start looking at bigger injectors.
    When I had my car dyno tuned, they said my injectors were somewhere around 98% duty cycle...

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGlock23 View Post
    A4!
    I've always heard guys say that around a 114lsa was better for a A4.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

A4!
    youll want a 114 lsa for better drive ability
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

red
    98 T/A

Well now is the best time to mention I have little education with cams...please go on. What should I look for? Spec and manufacturer.

red
    98 T/A

Also I do not plan on stalling right now, and if anything I will have 3.42 at most. That is only if I get the rear from a friend. I am on a budget and initially planned on cam and heads after I got out of the NAVY. But if the price is right I will have the rear and cam.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Don't forget about the cost for pushrods, valve springs, and retainers. Well speaking of I have a set of 918's with titanium retainers I'm wanting to sell.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Well now is the best time to mention I have little education with cams...please go on. What should I look for? Spec and manufacturer.
    I've had experiance witht the Thunder Racing cam and likes it. I've heard alot of good things coming out of Texas Speed also I wouldn't go with much more then 228-230 for the drivablity, but remember as I posted above depending on your lift you'll probably have to upgrade a few things on your heads primarly valve springs and retainers, push rods are a great ideal to.

Also I do not plan on stalling right now, and if anything I will have 3.42 at most. That is only if I get the rear from a friend. I am on a budget and initially planned on cam and heads after I got out of the NAVY. But if the price is right I will have the rear and cam.
    Those first few words caught my attention. I personally wouldn't do a camshaft without a converter first. Only the mildest of cams would work with a tight stock converter.
    Anything remotely large on the camshaft with a stock converter will cause idle problems, especially with alot of overlap, and a very soggy engine down low among other things that will probably leave you dissapointed after all that work.
    Do the converter first to give the camshaft a fighting chance.

black
    99 Z28

ok thanks for the info every one

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Do the converter first to give the camshaft a fighting chance.
    exactly! you would be suprized at how much of a difference just a converter alone makes on a stock ls motor....(2,500-3,000 will really wake it up). I went with a 2,800tci

plus the stock vavle springs are only good for stock and no more.

hey texasglock23 thankyou for your service!

red
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    exactly! you would be suprized at how much of a difference just a converter alone makes on a stock ls motor....(2,500-3,000 will really wake it up). I went with a 2,800tci

plus the stock vavle springs are only good for stock and no more.

hey texasglock23 thankyou for your service!
    You are very welcome. Although I never really fully except them. I have the utmost respect for our ground troops deployed. I sit on a boat miles away.

Back to the topic and sorry to hijack, but hopefully this will help others out as well.

I found a new hotcam for $150. I really wanted to wait in a stall until after I got out and had the money later on. So now I am back to the decision if I will wait in everything until then or go all out now.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

damn...wish mine wasnt effected...mods in sig

did cam/springs...228/581/114 from texas I get around 15mpg drive neighborhood roads a loterg
    #148,LS6 intake, pp tb, SLP Lid, SLP maf, OBX LT into Y, Hooker, 4K Circle D Stall, 3.73 richmond gears, Performabuilt Lvl 2, tranny cooler, 228 texas with supporting mods and tune by Frost, Dyno: 365rwhp & 343rwtq

red
    98 T/A

I take it you are from the Richmond area?

hugger orange

You are very welcome. Although I never really fully except them. I have the utmost respect for our ground troops deployed. I sit on a boat miles away.

Back to the topic and sorry to hijack, but hopefully this will help others out as well.

I found a new hotcam for $150. I really wanted to wait in a stall until after I got out and had the money later on. So now I am back to the decision if I will wait in everything until then or go all out now.
    I'd stay away from the hot cam....nothing wrong with it, its just a very small cam. and a swap is a big job...or lots of labor to pay a shop then a week later want a bigger cam

black
    99 Z28

well guys keep the info coming, im currently in the market for a cam, so any input on a cam for a DD car would be great!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    well guys keep the info coming, im currently in the market for a cam, so any input on a cam for a DD car would be great!

Keep doing exactly what you are doing, get as much info as you can. I talked to everybody I knew, called lots of shops, and read for hours on the internet till I came up with the cam that I wanted. I was going to get a custom grind, but luckily Vengeance had the exact cam already.

Feel free to come down south whenever we have another gtg and then you can actually see how they sound, drive, and perform.

Here is one of the reasons I am happy with my cam. Only change for the car was putting in the cam stuff.

Silver

ME?...address wise ya...chesterfield county but I not work far from home as of now and take back way...we moving to city soon though...erg

Silver

Mine is a DD I must have a lead foot ....cam is great in issues...pulls great...keep in mind mine is not heads/cam just cam with mods in sig

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    so what all do u have done to your car so far and what are you lookin to gain from a cam

black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Keep doing exactly what you are doing, get as much info as you can. I talked to everybody I knew, called lots of shops, and read for hours on the internet till I came up with the cam that I wanted. I was going to get a custom grind, but luckily Vengeance had the exact cam already.

Feel free to come down south whenever we have another gtg and then you can actually see how they sound, drive, and perform.

Here is one of the reasons I am happy with my cam. Only change for the car was putting in the cam stuff.
    Click for full size
    yea thanks man! im doing research like crazy! so wat other mods do you have on your car? those are some great numbers man!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information