Thread: Funky Noise

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Funky Noise

The engine in my T/A has been making weird noise ever since I've had the damn thing. Well, last oil change I ran a half can of seafoam through and then had it changed out to some 5w30 pennzoil with Lucas in it just to see if it would quiet the shit down some. Now the engine cold knocks (which it didn't before, though it did sound like a lifter ticking or something) and upon decel it makes this kinda whiney sound - I have no idea wtf is up with this. Anyway, planning on changing out the oil again tomorrow to some straight up castrol GTX 10w30 (160k on the clock) and hopefully that will clear it up some.

Despite the noise, there has been little to no performance change in the engine since it started - should I be worried?? Since this coincided with an oil change I'm pretty freaked out. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6 T-top

Its going to be hard to figure this out. You say cold knock, does the knock go away after complete warm up. Ticking and knocking are to different things. Have you own the car since its been new? Piston slap is normal at start up, lifters could be gumed up from not changing oil enough. There could be alot of varnish on the lifters which could be a ticking noise.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I bought the car used July 13. Friday 13 lol. It had 150k on the clock. Anyway, yes after looking at the car's history I believe that something like that varnish thing is the case and that is why I tried the seafoam. The piston slap thing did not happen until the lucas was in the engine, and I had thought it would not work that way.

The dipstick looks like it has burnt oil stuck on it that I can't get off but the engine runs great. Should I just quit messing with it before I break it or is it bad to run it like it is?

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

with engines with that many miles i wouldn't suggest seafoam again. sometimes over time grime and stuff actually prevents the car from getting anymore damage than it already has or prevents damage from actually happening, if seafoam or anything similar is added those seals and things that are preventing damage can be broken and thus the car will run crappier. as for the tick, it's probably not a knock. if it ends when the car gets warm i wouldn't worry about it too much. My last suggestion would be to try an oil additive that way your new oil can coat all your internals a little better after the seafoam cleaned out everything. just my .02

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

the tick was what was going on before the piston slap started - btw it quit doing that the past 3 or 4 cold starts - but it does not go away when the engine warms up and it does vary with RPM though at higher RPM's it seems to get very quiet.

I think my problem is just that all engines need to be rebuilt at some point; I'll just have to drive it til it quits and then fix it and drive some more.

Silver
    02' Camaro SS

Hey guys I have that same problem, ever since i bought the car it has had a knock or sounds like it is in the valve train. I dont think it is knock cause my knock sensor does not read it. I have heard that the LS1 just has a noisey valve train from the factory. Any info will be awsome.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I cant believ we all have this problem and no one can figure it out-wtf?

Blue
    02 / WS6

Engine Tick / Noise

My LS1 Does the same, quites down after warm-up....GM says it is normal, here is their answer to the problem.

Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace O-Ring) #02-06-01-038 - (12/02/2002)
    Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace O-Ring)
    2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

Condition
    Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause
    The O-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction
    Inspect the O-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information
    Part Number
    Description
    Qty

Seal-O/Pmp (O-ring)

(F and Y Cars)

Seal-O/Pmp (O-ring)

(C/K Trucks)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
    Description
    Usage
    Labor Time

J1060
    Pickup Tube and Screen - Replace
    F Car
    3.7 hrs

Yellow
    2004 Pont. GTO

I would never use lucas again. You should go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm it will answere alot of questions.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Not sure I buy into that. I have used lucas and my oil looks completely fine. And my engine never sounded better.

Thread Information