Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Fuel Injector Tick

I need help with identifying what I need to do to fix a ticking sound that I found in my fuel injectors. I used my stethoscope to isolate the sound. The sound is very loud when I start the car cold. After 10 minutes or so it gets quite., but still really loud with stethoscope. I am hoping someones expertise can help me out with my next repair.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Anybody?

Does anybody know what the ticking sound from my fuel injectors could be?

white
    98 TA WS6

all electronic fuel injectors make a slight ticking noise when in operation, if u r able to hear over the normal engine noise there may be something wrong with one of them. but its not very often they make excessive noise.u may be hearing cold engine piston knock. if it only does it after cold start ups. its a pretty common GM thing, and it really doesn't cause any long term damage(so long as u don't run it hard till it warms up). hope this helps ya

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Thanks for your insite. It is really just loud when it is first started for about 10 min. I am wondering if other LS owners have this as well. I know it isn't brand new, I guess I just want it to run that way or get it to.

white
    98 TA WS6

if you can pinpoint just one injector try unplugging the connector,if the noise goes away then its that injector, if not try different ones. note this will cause a check engine light to be on for a misfire code and injector circuit code to set in the pcm. just a heads up you will have to clear these after you are done. if it is the injector there isn't much you can do but replace it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I have a programer/scanner so the code resetting won't be a problem. When I put my stethescope on them, they all make the sound. My car runs pretty good though, I think.

white
    98 TA WS6

hmm,how many miles does the it have on it? I've been turnin wrenchs for over 10 years and I've never heard an injector tick louder when cold. I'm not saying that it can't be....it just is not a issue i have seen. my 98 has 101k on it and it has cold piston knock which is very close to the same frequency as the injectors would be. also does it have headers or aftermarket rockers? these can cause some extra noises that u dont hear on a stock one.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I know it doesn't have aftertmarket headers and I am not sure what rockers are. It could be a piston knock when it is cold. When I listen for the noise wit my stethoscope, I put it on everything around the injectors and only here the sound once I put it on the injectors. Is it normal, maybe, to here a loud ticking from an injector when listening with a scope.

white
    98 TA WS6

yes u will hear the ticking of an injector with a stethoscope, its amplifing the noise. try this park beside a wall about 3ft away cold start and listen for ur noise once u hear it and are tuned in to put ur window down and put the car in gear and hold it there. if the noise gets loulder, then i would say almost 100% that its piston knock

Thread Information