White
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Fried Engine :-( Needs rebuilt

A couple weeks ago i started to hear a pistion slap from my LS1.. to make a long story short my baby is in peices now and i pretty much fried most of the internals because i ran it too low on oil. I am pretty much just looking for suggestions on what parts to purchase and where to purchase them. I am trying to stay low bugget while still rebuilding the engine in a better than stock manor. The parts i need to purchase are: New clutch and Throw-out bearing( I am strongly considering the Dual Friction Centerforce), Pistons + Rods + Rings(I am stumped on this one, need some advice!), Camshaft, Rod + Main bearings, Lifters and Plugs + Wires. I was considering a 383 stroker kit becuase i already need new rods and pistions but i do not think that my budget can accomidate that set up. If anyone has and advice it would be greatly apperciated.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I know Lunati and Eagle both make 383 stroker kits that take the guess-work out of selecting cranks, rods, and pistons. They also include rings I think.
    And I would suggest having a machine shop install new crank and cam bearings, but that's just me. And then you can pick out a cam and valvetrain setup to accomodate your stroker motor if you go that route.

semicharmed
    With my old car, I opt to have Mercedes aftermarket parts and those used ones but still in good condition. Budget means a lot to me specially right now that we'll be moving to the next town... But if you'll be considering the quality, try to have the stocks of your LS1
    Last edited by mrr23; 03-31-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: removed non sponsor link

flat black
    if you ran it low on oil...youll do it again, why waste your money on something your not going to take care of. by the way, a bearing knock is not piston slap. piston slap is caused by the short tapered skirts on the pistons...it doesnt develop over time. its there from the get go, and normally goes away after the engine warms up, the next time you have a cold start it will be there...in some bad cases piston slap is there on a hot engine too...though unlike most people think piston slap does not cause premature failure of the entire engine...by the sound of it you need to completely rebuild your engine i highly suggest taking the block and the crank and having them checked, you may have to have the crank turned and put undersized bearings on it, also you may have to hone the block or if its damaged bad enough resleave it

White
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

That is not true.. It is my first car and i didnt realize how serious a Low Oil indicator is, I will not take it lightly next time. As for the rebuild, I am going to have my crank machined and my block honed. I am going to rebuild it completely stock and just add some headers and maybe some adjustments to the Intake as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find the cheapest stock rebuild parts? Also I am going to put some 4.10 gears in the rear, if anyone has experience with these gears in a close to stock set up i would love to here your opinion.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Whoa whoa whoa! You're going to have to block completely torn down, and you're going to put stock parts back into it!? That's the oddest thing I have ever heard. If you're going to put the time and work in this project, you might as well try to go with something bigger/better. Installation of the stock parts take just as much time as installing aftermarket parts. It will probably cost you the same amount of money. If you want stock internals, I suggest buying a used engine instead of tearing it down and trying to rebuild it. Otherwise, get a stroker kit, or something. This is an opportunity to go hog wild.

White
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

I know thats what i thought too but it seems to be that it will be alottt cheaper to just rebuild stock.. I wanted to do the stroker kits and a hot cam but im hearing things about 800 dollar computer mods and all this other stuff that i just do not have the money for :-(

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Ah, okay... A couple of things... You should check your oil every time you fill the car with gas. It takes two minutes and saves you, well... this. Once the Low Oil Indicator light comes on you are in bad shape.

In what shape is the clutch?

Most importantly; What is your budget? If it is that low you might want to buy a used LS1 shortblock and drop it in there.

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

I think you could get a used shortblock for a lot less money than rebuilding that one, especially if the block may need machine shop work. If it were me I would look into that option and maybe save that block for a time when you have the means to go in and build it the way you want.

White
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

My clutch is trash.. how much do you think a used shortbloch would run?

Thread Information