Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Foam pads under LS intake?

I am installing an LS6 intake and I am wondering why they have 2 foam pads under the intake? Why is it there and what does it do? Is it necessary? I'm just curious, shouldn't air be able to flow under there?!

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Anti Knock Sensors

I read some where it had to do with isolating the Anti-Knock Sensors from vibrations and effecting their readings.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

they are there to keep dirt and other debris from getting underneath it. the intake does not sit completely on the valley cover.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

possibly some insulating property too?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Well, I took it off to dremel under the intake in the spot where the coolant lines run from the front to the back of the engine. I reinstalled it just to be safe. That intake made a hugh difference!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

good to hear, did you buy a used one or new? If new did you get the SLP one with EGR provisions, I am thinking about getting that one just curious how the install went.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

My Previous Post LS6 Install SLP w /EGR

Never installed one so guess it went fairly well. I did the job by myself and took three afternoons (started on the third day). Not much room under the windshield for the four rear bolts so tough on the skin. The bolts aren't really a big deal just lay on top of the engine (blanket). After a lot of reading I discovered that if you raise the rear of the mainfold as high as you can and then slide forward (holding rear four up) you won't break the oil sensor (mine did not break). Same going back together (raise the back). The sensor sits in a recess and you will break it if you don't raise it. I left the fuel rails. and TB on and removed. I had to buy a $5 tool from Auto Zone to disconnect the fuel supply tube to the drivers side rail. Glad I left them on. There is enough clutter to work around without them laying on top of the engine. I forgot (didn't see) the two rear fuel connector elect leads (L&R side) so had to slide it back out to connect. Back and running seems to have more low end torque. I will put it on the dyno next month. Good luck and take your time and notes if old like me (probably not).
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I bought a used LS6 intake off of a Z06, therfore it did not have the EGR. I eliminated it and made my own block off plate for the passenger side manifold.
    In the pics(its hard to see) but I just used a dremel to grind the ribs down a little where the coolant lines run.
    First I removed the foam pads. After that, I put small amounts of grease on the coolant lines, then I layed the intake in position. When I lifted the intake off, the grease showed me where I had to grind. You don't have to grind alot, you just have to make sure when you are ready to bolt the intake on, that it sits flat and does not rock in place.
    I also notched the underside of the intake where the knock sensor wires run just to make sure that the intake didn't crush the wires. I reglued the foam on and installed. It was pretty easy.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

we did the same on a friend of mine's car. no need to buy the LS6 lines and block offs.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

A guy on my local forum posted this yesterday after doing his intake swap, this is what happens under the intake:

His pads on his old one weren't very good.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

on my friends, we found dead ants.

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

hm, thats a good idea! i might do that to my intake and pocket the $45 for the ls6 x-over.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The LS6 x-over is smaller also.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I did the same thing mrr23 mentioned by fabbing up my own coolant line and plugs with the pre-existing one. No need to waste your money on the LS6 one.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I did the same thing mrr23 mentioned by fabbing up my own coolant line and plugs with the pre-existing one. No need to waste your money on the LS6 one.

i didn't mention that. i mentioned that we did the same grinding of the underside of the LS6 intake to fit the LS1 coolant line.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i didn't mention that. i mentioned that we did the same grinding of the underside of the LS6 intake to fit the LS1 coolant line.
    My mistake, grrrr, guess I really am getting old

I just took the stock lines and took a little pipe cutter, and some permatex sealant and fabbed them up. The $40 for the LS6 lines is ridiculous IMO.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

dead ants...

i guess mine did a good job of keeping that nasty stuff out when i swapped to my Ls6 intake. then again, i only have 37k on the car...

and thanks for telling me now about the coolant lines...j/k i guess i'm the sucka who paid the $40 dollars for the ls6 lines...lol

yea the pads are for keeping stuff out mainly water to keep from rusting the knock sensor, when ever i do a intake on one at the dealer i always put some rtv sealent around the knock sensor kinda as a mot or damn from anything messing with the knock sensors. It bonds to the bottom of intake and is no problem to take off. just a thought for anyone doing a intake or head/cam swap

-matt aka smc

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I just bid on an LS6 intake off of a Camaro on eBay.

So basically I just have to notch the bottom of the intake to make it fit?? I shouldn't need any crossover kits or plugs??

Looks like the intake port gaskets are still on it, can I re-use those or should I buy new ones??

Awaiting Activation
    ladybugs here lol i was quite surprised

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information