Thread: First LS Build

White
    2009 Silverado

First LS Build

Plannning my first LS build. Building a carb'd 6.0 for my nephews 59 Chev Cheyenne driver. Planning on building him a budget hot rod motor,
    Here's what I have:
    2-6.0 Truck, long blocks with 371 heads. One with an attached auto trans. I set of new Comp Beehive left over from a previous SBC build.
    The plan:
    1. Pick the best looking long block. Do a hone job and a basic rebuild.
    2. Pull the heads. Get a basic port job and freshen-up. Add the beehives. Flow ~285@,.500
    3. Add a cam upgrade.
    4. Carb and Eddie dual plane inntake.
    5. MSD controller.
    Questions:
    a. Should I have new bolts installed on the rods? Or just by budget capscrew I-beams from SCAT?
    b. Want a cam that will work well for a heavy truck, stock exhaust w/dual exhasut and maybe a 2500 converter. RPM at 5.5K max and a good flat torque curve. Suggestions?
    c. Should I buy the trunion upgrade for the rocker arms from Comp?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I am pretty sure you can't use valve springs from a sbc on a LSx engine....correct me.if I am wrong. I would contact Texas Speed, Vengeance Racing or some other performance shop and tell them your plans, they will definitely point you in the right direction. I don't personally have the trunion upgrade but I have heard great things about it.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-25-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

White
    2009 Silverado

Thanks for the input. I'll make a decision on the trunion deal. Maybe try to save a little $$$'s there. Certainly not trying to this a serious S/S deal.

I was under the impression, maybe wrongly so, the the Comp#26918 Beehives would work on a LS1 head. Will someone straighten me out on this? The seat pressure is 130# @1.800" and they should be good for ~.600 lift if set-up properly. great for the hyd.roller cams I've used on SBC's.

White
    2009 Silverado

MTW. I've been looking at cams specs. Look's to me like the Tx Speed 220R Sleeper might work well for this deal. What do you guys think?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Old55 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'll make a decision on the trunion deal. Maybe try to save a little $$$'s there. Certainly not trying to this a serious S/S deal.

I was under the impression, maybe wrongly so, the the Comp#26918 Beehives would work on a LS1 head. Will someone straighten me out on this? The seat pressure is 130# @1.800" and they should be good for ~.600 lift if set-up properly. great for the hyd.roller cams I've used on SBC's.
    Okay so I was actually wrong. I thought comps valve springs where sbc or ltx or lsx specific. Meaning I didn't think they were interchangeable, which at least those springs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Old55 View Post
    MTW. I've been looking at cams specs. Look's to me like the Tx Speed 220R Sleeper might work well for this deal. What do you guys think?
    Well depends on your goals, are you looking for high hp #s? You could also do the 228r and get the lower lsa to bring the power band lower down in the rpms, if that is where you want it. I think that would be great. But it depends how much power you want, if it were me I would go bigger but then again I am going with a 240/244 cam.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-25-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How many miles on the donor engines? May not need to be tearing it down as the LS platform generally goes much further than a SBC while showing little to no wear. Lots of guys on here north of 120,000 miles and still routinely flogging them at the track.

Thread Information