Results 1 to 9 of 9

finding good heads.......

This is a discussion on finding good heads....... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What is a good set of heads to go with for my Trans Am that will work well with my ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    finding good heads.......

    What is a good set of heads to go with for my Trans Am that will work well with my mods in my signature. I don't plan on a cam anytime soon and don't forget they need to me California smog legal as well. I am new to the whole heads thing so any input would be apprecaited.~Chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  2. #2
    Member jambofla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    409

    Black
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    What is a good set of heads to go with for my Trans Am that will work well with my mods in my signature. I don't plan on a cam anytime soon and don't forget they need to me California smog legal as well. I am new to the whole heads thing so any input would be apprecaited.~Chris
    No matter what heads you buy you will not get the full benefit without a cam to set them off. You might realize a marginal increase in HP but a cam that will open those valves and get some air moving through them will be very noticable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    No matter what heads you buy you will not get the full benefit without a cam to set them off. You might realize a marginal increase in HP but a cam that will open those valves and get some air moving through them will be very noticable.
    Ok I just looked at the install guide and I don't think there is anyway I could do this by myself......i don't have the best mechanical skills......and I don't plan on going with a cam so thank you for the input.........

  4. #4
    Member jambofla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    409

    Black
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Ok I just looked at the install guide and I don't think there is anyway I could do this by myself......i don't have the best mechanical skills......and I don't plan on going with a cam so thank you for the input.........
    It is pretty involved as far as the mechanical end but I bet you could do it with a little help. The thing is that you are so far into the engine on a head change that with a little more effort you might as well do the head and cam change at the same time. I agree that up front it looks like a good idea and then when you get about half you will say WTF did I ever do this for. You really have to love HP gains and have a reason (racing) to get into it.
    Hell drive it the way it is and enjoy it til you stike it rich then pay someone to build you a monster.
    Good luck Bro

  5. #5
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    It is pretty involved as far as the mechanical end but I bet you could do it with a little help. The thing is that you are so far into the engine on a head change that with a little more effort you might as well do the head and cam change at the same time. I agree that up front it looks like a good idea and then when you get about half you will say WTF did I ever do this for. You really have to love HP gains and have a reason (racing) to get into it.
    Hell drive it the way it is and enjoy it til you stike it rich then pay someone to build you a monster.
    Good luck Bro
    LOL well said. I have been eyeing some supercharged corvettes lately.....we'll see how that pans out ....thanks for all of the help....

  6. #6
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    get the heads, head gaskets, head bolts, oil, antifreeze, tube of RTV, and a cam......then ask around....im sure you can find a friend or two that know what they are doing and will work for lunch and beer......average time = a weekend
    good time = an afternoon

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    coon rapids, MN
    Age
    52
    Posts
    404

    red
    2000TA

    afr 205cc heads are smog legal , or just spray it best bang for the buck.

  8. #8
    Member jambofla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    409

    Black
    2002 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    afr 205cc heads are smog legal , or just spray it best bang for the buck.
    true story
    ZEX wet nitrous for $550 and get 75 HP without taking any timing out.
    anything more and you will want to start retarding the timing

  9. #9
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    true story
    ZEX wet nitrous for $550 and get 75 HP without taking any timing out.
    anything more and you will want to start retarding the timing
    I can't wait to see my friend Bill's tune with a 320 wet shot

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Cme valance!! Help finding it for a good deal
    By DDuarte in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
  2. Need help finding a good PT job.
    By WhiteHotSS in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 06:14 AM
  3. need help finding ss hood 4 good price
    By Blackout in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
  4. help finding good stereo web site?
    By SpeedDemon1 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
  5. help finding good ls1 performance shop in ohio
    By philsls1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 08:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •