finding good heads.......

This is a discussion on finding good heads....... within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What is a good set of heads to go with for my Trans Am that will work well with my ...

2000 Trans Am

finding good heads.......

What is a good set of heads to go with for my Trans Am that will work well with my mods in my signature. I don't plan on a cam anytime soon and don't forget they need to me California smog legal as well. I am new to the whole heads thing so any input would be apprecaited.~Chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    What is a good set of heads to go with for my Trans Am that will work well with my mods in my signature. I don't plan on a cam anytime soon and don't forget they need to me California smog legal as well. I am new to the whole heads thing so any input would be apprecaited.~Chris
    No matter what heads you buy you will not get the full benefit without a cam to set them off. You might realize a marginal increase in HP but a cam that will open those valves and get some air moving through them will be very noticable.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    No matter what heads you buy you will not get the full benefit without a cam to set them off. You might realize a marginal increase in HP but a cam that will open those valves and get some air moving through them will be very noticable.
    Ok I just looked at the install guide and I don't think there is anyway I could do this by myself......i don't have the best mechanical skills......and I don't plan on going with a cam so thank you for the input.........

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Ok I just looked at the install guide and I don't think there is anyway I could do this by myself......i don't have the best mechanical skills......and I don't plan on going with a cam so thank you for the input.........
    It is pretty involved as far as the mechanical end but I bet you could do it with a little help. The thing is that you are so far into the engine on a head change that with a little more effort you might as well do the head and cam change at the same time. I agree that up front it looks like a good idea and then when you get about half you will say WTF did I ever do this for. You really have to love HP gains and have a reason (racing) to get into it.
    Hell drive it the way it is and enjoy it til you stike it rich then pay someone to build you a monster.
    Good luck Bro

2000 Trans Am

It is pretty involved as far as the mechanical end but I bet you could do it with a little help. The thing is that you are so far into the engine on a head change that with a little more effort you might as well do the head and cam change at the same time. I agree that up front it looks like a good idea and then when you get about half you will say WTF did I ever do this for. You really have to love HP gains and have a reason (racing) to get into it.
    Hell drive it the way it is and enjoy it til you stike it rich then pay someone to build you a monster.
    Good luck Bro
    LOL well said. I have been eyeing some supercharged corvettes lately.....we'll see how that pans out ....thanks for all of the help....

hugger orange

get the heads, head gaskets, head bolts, oil, antifreeze, tube of RTV, and a cam......then ask around....im sure you can find a friend or two that know what they are doing and will work for lunch and beer......average time = a weekend
    good time = an afternoon

red
    2000TA

afr 205cc heads are smog legal , or just spray it best bang for the buck.

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    afr 205cc heads are smog legal , or just spray it best bang for the buck.
    true story
    ZEX wet nitrous for $550 and get 75 HP without taking any timing out.
    anything more and you will want to start retarding the timing

hugger orange

true story
    ZEX wet nitrous for $550 and get 75 HP without taking any timing out.
    anything more and you will want to start retarding the timing
    I can't wait to see my friend Bill's tune with a 320 wet shot

Thread Information