Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

FINALIZED 454LSX build Sheet! Opinions Welcome!

This is a discussion on FINALIZED 454LSX build Sheet! Opinions Welcome! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by shady milkman also i wouldn't worry about changing your coils..the ones on our cars should be able ...

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    also i wouldn't worry about changing your coils..the ones on our cars should be able to handle anything you throw at it ..within reason. and also..keep a eye on your fuel pump..i would go dual just for safety ...
    I was told that 1 of those would be pleanty and 2 would be overkill...

Then again, with a build like this, better safe then sorry. I'll buy 2 just for security reasons but if when the system is completed and the car seems ok with it and isnt leaning out or bogging down because of lack of fuel then ill just sell the other one...

And the coils are just for the hell of it BTW i know our coils are fine but since im changing everything and taking nothing from my LS1 figured might as well
    Last edited by NeeD4SpeeD; 08-28-2009 at 11:07 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    Cooling i have already with the F-1C so i didn't post it, once i type it into the build sheet i will post it. I have a massive front mount for that i forget who makes it but i will check in a few
    true..are you running meth ? ..also just something to think about in the cooling...is that the lt1 radiators are 1 3/8s (i think) thick while the ls1 is less or = to a inch....and with the 454 being a iron block..maybe some larger fans ..i think that would be prefect for your build..look it up tho..i think 1 connector needs to be plugged on the lt1 rads to be used with our lsxs

true..are you running meth ? ..also just something to think about in the cooling...is that the lt1 radiators are 1 3/8s (i think) thick while the ls1 is less or = to a inch....and with the 454 being a iron block..maybe some larger fans ..i think that would be prefect for your build..look it up tho..i think 1 connector needs to be plugged on the lt1 rads to be used with our lsxs
    Most likely gunna run meth. Nice and cool.... I have a fans and a radiator in my build sheet...i think But i will address that to the builder and see what he thinks. I know a 454 being iron and BIG will need sufficient cooling and sufficient fuel. Because that monster gets HOT and HUNGRY!

So we are paying close attention to those issues and will made sure the motor has pleanty of both.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

ummm..... looks good to me

gonna be a sick build man, good luck!

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Back to the coils, I have a set of those coils (accel 1400400) waiting to be put on and one guy over on tech from Australia says they will not work with his PCM?? I may try and install mine this weekend and will advise, they look just like GM truck coils and they supposedly do add a small amount of extra hp as long as you use the truck coil wire harnesses? Keep ya posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    ummm..... looks good to me

gonna be a sick build man, good luck!
    Thanks pal! It's going to be a lenghty process but a well worth one!

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Back to the coils, I have a set of those coils (accel 1400400) waiting to be put on and one guy over on tech from Australia says they will not work with his PCM?? I may try and install mine this weekend and will advise, they look just like GM truck coils and they supposedly do add a small amount of extra hp as long as you use the truck coil wire harnesses? Keep ya posted.
    They are truck coils and are rated to produce 50,000 volts. I didn't hear anything about the truck wiring harness but i'll ask one of the shop guys to see if they know if anything else is required.

98' trans am

my question about the truck coils..are..is it really needed ? for your app...i would stick with stock coils..run and tune it..and if you are having issues..then go truck coil and see if anything helps..it is my understanding that the only different between the truck coils and ours..is a bigger heatsink to dissipate the heat

my question about the truck coils..are..is it really needed ? for your app...i would stick with stock coils..run and tune it..and if you are having issues..then go truck coil and see if anything helps..it is my understanding that the only different between the truck coils and ours..is a bigger heatsink to dissipate the heat
    I was thinking about it from a voltage stand point. And do our coils have a 50,000 volt system because the truck ones do and the MSD ones have 43,000. I mean the less money i can spend the better cuz i can use it for something else but does anyone actually know what our coils are rated to?

98' trans am

I was thinking about it from a voltage stand point. And do our coils have a 50,000 volt system because the truck ones do and the MSD ones have 43,000. I mean the less money i can spend the better cuz i can use it for something else but does anyone actually know what our coils are rated to?
    i'll check when i get home

i'll check when i get home
    Awesome, thanks pal. The more info the better!

98' trans am

Awesome, thanks pal. The more info the better!
    i stand corrected..the truck coils do have a big heat-sink..but they also push much more ..they are better coils ..so i apologize...know tho that the connections are different from the ls1 and the ls2/yukon coils(truck)

i stand corrected..the truck coils do have a big heat-sink..but they also push much more ..they are better coils ..so i apologize...know tho that the connections are different from the ls1 and the ls2/yukon coils(truck)
    Ah ok np atleast im better informed now. i guess now i will have to get a new connection in order to run the coils. I would assume either accel or MSD would have the proper connectors...

Question: Now that i'm going with the LSX454 will 1 7/8"-2" Kooks headers with 3" true duel exhaust be sufficient for this monster...

OR

Should i go with a full 2" Header and full 4" TD exhaust? I don't want to choak up the motor trying to force all the exhaust through sub size piping. I want from induction, to intake and exhaust flow, to exhaust exit to flow perfect and i dont know if the smaller piping will cut it...Any ideas?

Black
    2000 Z-28

I would definitely think that motor's big enough to warrant the 2" headers!

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    I would definitely think that motor's big enough to warrant the 2" headers!
    LOL that's exactly what i was thinking so i guess match that with 4" TDs and 2x 4" bullet mufflers and were good?

Black
    2000 Z-28

LOL that's exactly what i was thinking so i guess match that with 4" TDs and 2x 4" bullet mufflers and were good?
    Yeah I guess you'd want to go w/ a nice true dual setup at that point also but I would imagine you could still do a nice y-pipe setup if you had that flowmaster merge. At some point it just depends on how much you have to spend and are you trying to get every last hp you can out of your setup.

Black/PurpleChromeFlames
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I guess with all of the research you've done you must have done enough research to harness all of this power in the drivetrain/suspension as well......
    It is a killer build for sure, but hope you have the means to transfer the power to the ground w/o shelling out the tranny/rearend.

SOM
    2002 WS6

there was a write up here or the other site with the truck coils.

It had all the part numbers from gm as well.

It made like 9hp more than our coils.

You will need different coil brackets as well.It has all the part #'s you need for the swap.

Go to tech and put in "truck coil swap" in the search and you will find it.
    Last edited by need4fun2469; 09-25-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Question: Now that i'm going with the LSX454 will 1 7/8"-2" Kooks headers with 3" true duel exhaust be sufficient for this monster...

OR

Should i go with a full 2" Header and full 4" TD exhaust? I don't want to choak up the motor trying to force all the exhaust through sub size piping. I want from induction, to intake and exhaust flow, to exhaust exit to flow perfect and i dont know if the smaller piping will cut it...Any ideas?
    Forgive my ignorance but in an FI build wouldnt you want the slightly smaller headers for backpressure?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information