View Poll Results: Which cam would be best for high power, good powerband, and tameable on the street?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thunder Racing 236/230 .602/.575 112 LSA

11 22.45%
  • Texas Speed & Performance Torquer Revision 2: 232/234 .595/.598 112 LSA

15 30.61%
  • Comp Cams SI6 231/237 .585/.595 112 LSA

16 32.65%
  • Other Cam (if so please post the cam)

7 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Exclamation FINAL Info On What Cam I Should Go With!!!

Ok guys this is the FINAL bit with the cam.... I'm getting the cam next week and i need a final decision on what the best big streetable cam is....

Now i was originally going to go with the TR 236/230 .602/.575 112 LSA which i heard with my supporting mods and a nice tune will net me about 430RWHP which is what i'm looking for and the guys at TTPerformance said they could easily make this cam nice and streetable.

Not i've heard about some other cams in the past few days and it got me wondering if i have the right cam for what i want which is "A HIGH HP CAM THAT HAS A NICE POWERBAND AND CAN BE USED ON THE STREET"

So i've seen the Texas Speed & Performance Torquer Revision 2: 232/234, .595"/.598", 112 LSA and heard this cam to be very good as well with close to the same power gains as the Thunder Racing Cam.

Another cam i saw was the Comp Cam SI6 231/237 .585/.595 112 LSA...

So now i'm really fkin confused and i have no idea which one will give me what i want!!!

I need ALL your opinions including testiments about possible gains and drivablilty with these cams along with other cams and specs that you night think will work best!!!

Anyone i need some opinions on these cams....

Any input would be greatly appriciated!!:beer3:

Thing is i need help with the cam that will give me the overall best... I've been looking around some more and noticed that the TSP torquer revision 2 isn't a "reverse slpit" like the TR... But what is a reverse split?? Any more HP found in reverse splits?

I'm definatly going to get this cam beginning of this week and i NEED everyone's help to make my final decision!!!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Traditional split duration camshafts have more exhaust duration and lift than intake. This allows an inefficient stock or near stock exhaust system to help flow the additional volume of gases when you are producing more power. Also, the older small block chevy heads tended to flow about 65-75% of the exhaust volume that the intake port would.

An LSx head tends to flow more exhaust nearer 80%. A reverse split duration cam actually has more intake lift and duration to take advantage of good flowing exhaust ports and an efficient header and exhaust system.

That said, all the cams you are looking at feature similar lobe separtion angles and durations, but the TTR is the only one that is a reverse split duration. I didn't see your mods, but if you are already running headers (or will be in the future) I would think you'd get more streetable power from the TTR cam. It should flow more in the intake cycle, have sufficient duration to expel the exhaust, and despite the same lobe sep; still not have so much overlap as to compromise your streetablility.

Hope this helps!

Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Traditional split duration camshafts have more exhaust duration and lift than intake. This allows an inefficient stock or near stock exhaust system to help flow the additional volume of gases when you are producing more power. Also, the older small block chevy heads tended to flow about 65-75% of the exhaust volume that the intake port would.

An LSx head tends to flow more exhaust nearer 80%. A reverse split duration cam actually has more intake lift and duration to take advantage of good flowing exhaust ports and an efficient header and exhaust system.

That said, all the cams you are looking at feature similar lobe separtion angles and durations, but the TTR is the only one that is a reverse split duration. I didn't see your mods, but if you are already running headers (or will be in the future) I would think you'd get more streetable power from the TTR cam. It should flow more in the intake cycle, have sufficient duration to expel the exhaust, and despite the same lobe sep; still not have so much overlap as to compromise your streetablility.

Hope this helps!

Hammer
    Thanks man!!! Helps alot!!! Sorry i didnt list my mods that was my mistake. My mods are as follows:

Pacesetter LTs
    No Cats
    3" full True Dual mandrel bent X pipe exhaust system
    2 18" TSP Rumbler billet mufflers
    SLP Lid
    K&N Air Filter
    ZO6 MAF
    NGK TR55 Spark Plugs
    Taylor 10.4mm Wires
    LSX Fast 90mm Intake Manifold (have but not installed yet) Have the LS6 Intake on now.
    Nick Williams 90mm TB (have but not installed yet) Stock TB is on.
    Fast Fuel Rails (have but not installed yet) Stock ones on.

Thoes are my mods and i have suspension mods also but i figured since were on the subject of power i didnt think they were neccessary to list...

I also am going to by 4.10s to help with the big cam so you can add that to the list in the future..

So based on these mods and based on your testimony i think the TR reverse split would be sufficient for my car considering i have a very free flowing exhaust and will be intake and TB.

If you have any other info based on these mods it would be greatly appriciated!!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

your gonna have to spin it pretty high with 2 out of the 3 cams. If thats the case, Id also consider the f14 if your looking at the torquer II...similar specs, but the f14 is a bit tamer. Out of all of those, id go with the torquer II. I personally am running the f13 112 and its awsome!! took it up to 6700 rpms.

Very nice man!!! From what hammer said, since i have a very open exhaust and lots of air flow wouldnt the TR cam be better considering it was a reverse slpit??

Also the TSP Torquer was actually my favorite cam second to the TR. Now with both of them compared side by side which one will produce more power?? Have a better powerband?? and i know you said the torquer was tamer so that anwsers the other question....

Appriciate the info...

Joe Ballz
    Last edited by NeeD4SpeeD; 11-26-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Another note to add to the TR vs TSP cam...

The TR cams powerband is 2200RPM-6600RPM

The TSP cams powerband is 2600RPM-6800RPM

So the TSP picks up later which will hurt acceleration alittle bit but this is a factor also....

Black
    99 SS

below
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    below

How much power did your cam net you? And also how is the powerband and drivability of the cam??

Black
    99 SS

its designed for more mid to high end range, and its fine on the street. are you AUTO or M6??? this is a custom grind from COMP, but it should net about 400rwhp when all is said and done

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

its not a bad cam, but will net you about 380 or so hp....i had the f10 which is 228/228 114 and i made 378/372. All the boltons less a pulley and i had duals.

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    its not a bad cam, but will net you about 380 or so hp....i had the f10 which is 228/228 114 and i made 378/372. All the boltons less a pulley and i had duals.
    HMMMMM....I'm looking for 400+HP and TQ close to the 390 mark... The way i see it is the TR cam should give me about 430 and with a crazy ass tune it should make it as drivable as ever.... However the TSP cam looks very good also i just want to know of the 2 which one should give me more HP and pick up eairly in the RPM range??

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Yea im in the same position on what cam to get because I also drive mine everyday and would like a cam that offers quite a bit more power but is also a good street cam. Please let me know what you decide on and how it turns out for ya. I know that a good computer tune helps out a lot with a cam install, but i also wondered what is the best cam for power and drivability that does not require a computer tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Flobeast385
    Yea im in the same position on what cam to get because I also drive mine everyday and would like a cam that offers quite a bit more power but is also a good street cam. Please let me know what you decide on and how it turns out for ya. I know that a good computer tune helps out a lot with a cam install, but i also wondered what is the best cam for power and drivability that does not require a computer tune.
    I'll let you know how the cam goes man.... Just hope i can get a final cam im going to stick with before tommrow or tuesday because i want to order it with gears and get it by the end of the week!!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Flobeast385
    i also wondered what is the best cam for power and drivability that does not require a computer tune.
    Do some research, I think you'll find that changing cams means changing the pcm tuning. THink of it this way, if you want the best power, you wouldn't put heads and cam on your car without exhuast to back it up.

Computer tuning is one of the better mods. Aside from adding performance by getting the optimum from your combination, you are also getting better drivability from a good tune.

If you don't want to tune the pcm, I'd suggest doing all your bolt-ons first.

That said - I'd like to hear how it works out for NeeD4SpeeD too!

Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Do some research, I think you'll find that changing cams means changing the pcm tuning. THink of it this way, if you want the best power, you wouldn't put heads and cam on your car without exhuast to back it up.

Computer tuning is one of the better mods. Aside from adding performance by getting the optimum from your combination, you are also getting better drivability from a good tune.

If you don't want to tune the pcm, I'd suggest doing all your bolt-ons first.

That said - I'd like to hear how it works out for NeeD4SpeeD too!

Hammer
    Thanks man!!! Yea i'm going to order the cam this week and get it installed ASAP... I just want to do all the research i can befor i make my decision...

So once i get a definate anwser then i'm going to order it!!!

BTW out of the 3 cam i listed..does anyone know which one would produce the MOST power??

Thanks for all the info... Any more would be very useful!!!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

is this with stock heads?? if so, your not gonna see 430 from any of these cams. id say 405-410 tops and thats with a freak!!

silver
    2000 camaro ss

i agree with stock heads 410 is the most your gonna see, usually in the range of 380-390

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information