Figure this one out gearheads!!!!!

This is a discussion on Figure this one out gearheads!!!!! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What up LS1's. OK. After the install I can hear my pushrods and valvetrain......slightly....... YES, there is a slight sewing ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Figure this one out gearheads!!!!!

What up LS1's. OK. After the install I can hear my pushrods and valvetrain......slightly....... YES, there is a slight sewing machine noise.....BUT WAIT!!!! The lower shift boot for my T-56 was altered during a "short shifter" install. SO, as some of you may have read, GM made this lower shift boot to ABSOLUTELY quiet down the valvetrain noise WITHIN the vehicle. (& to prevent heat/gases from entering) I used 7.350 pushrods on the rebuild based on the .050 cup height difference of the updated LS7 lifters vs. OEM 98' style lifters.(which was measured and confirmed)...Heads are stock, not milled and the 224R TSP cam base circle was nearly identical to the stock LS1 Cam..........There are no ticks or clankidy clank noises that some experience, the engine revs and drives very smooth. There are no clearance issues to report. Your Thoughts?????

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

HI-PO & ORION where you at my brothers!!!???? I just KNOW you have ALL the answers for this with your SUPERIOR knowledge and OUTER-WORLDLY experience right????? As if you didn't already know, , or I should say I'm with myself...lol

black
    2000 SS

Hey man im no expert but if those are the correct push rods for the cam you might just need to drive the car and put some miles on it. Its been my experence that new parts make a little bit of noise until thay have some miles on them. If the engine seems to run fine you might just want to drive a couple miles...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by workn247 View Post
    Hey man im no expert but if those are the correct push rods for the cam you might just need to drive the car and put some miles on it. Its been my experence that new parts make a little bit of noise until thay have some miles on them. If the engine seems to run fine you might just want to drive a couple miles...
    Hey thanks for the response! Yeah, I've actually heard this happens after a given cam/head install. Hopefully your point proves true! I figure as soon as I insulate my lower shift boot area, this noise WITHIN the car should decrease significantly.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

after a valvetrain and cam swap you're going to have some sewing machine noise.....perfectly normal. If it starts bothering you turn the radio up.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Or get a louder exhaust.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    after a valvetrain and cam swap you're going to have some sewing machine noise.....perfectly normal. If it starts bothering you turn the radio up.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Yes!! Ok I'll TURN the RADIO UP!!! I knew you would come through for me YET AGAIN Orion!!!! AND...............................Thanks for always being there for me.... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!HA!!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Or get a louder exhaust.
    Hey, perfect, now I have an excuse to spend MORE money on PARTS!!!!!...........In actuality though I've already done this!!!! In fact the exhaust is about 3 times louder than it was before!!! I wonder if this is typical w/LT's and a performance cam? Anyways its quite raspy under throttle.........I'll post a video on my profile page shortly.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Hey, perfect, now I have an excuse to spend MORE money on PARTS!!!!!...........In actuality though I've already done this!!!! In fact the exhaust is about 3 times louder than it was before!!! I wonder if this is typical w/LT's and a performance cam? Anyways its quite raspy under throttle.........I'll post a video on my profile page shortly.....
    yep...normal. Due to the overlap you're hearing a little more of the combustion process.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

yep...normal. Due to the overlap you're hearing a little more of the combustion process.
    AND.................That COMBUSTION PROCESS sounds SWEET!!!!

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

werd pushrod length in my experience, the cam base circle on aftermarket are smaller then stock. Installed 7.400 and was sewing machine noise, used 7.425 and noise was gone. But hell if you confirmed it IDK just throwing this out there

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    werd pushrod length in my experience, the cam base circle on aftermarket are smaller then stock. Installed 7.400 and was sewing machine noise, used 7.425 and noise was gone. But hell if you confirmed it IDK just throwing this out there
    Oh...Ok. Did you measure or just gain knowledge of the right length through research??? I certainly based mine on calling experts or people who have experience with pushrod length, AS it pertains to going from old style lifters to the updated versions. Did YOU change out your lifters with your 7.425 pushrod change? Were your heads milled??? It REALLY all depends on what changes you made to your set up.......

Thread Information