GROUND KONTROL C.C. CEO SSMuscle's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

a few questions.

Kind of a newbie at mods so........

1. What is the difference between the ratios on rocker arms? 1:7 and 1:8. And if replaced what difference will you see on a 2002 LS1.

2. Which roller rocker arms are recommended? valvetrain supporters? Does anyone know where to get the best deal on all of this.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SSMuscle View Post
    Kind of a newbie at mods so........

1. What is the difference between the ratios on rocker arms? 1:7 and 1:8. And if replaced what difference will you see on a 2002 LS1.

2. Which roller rocker arms are recommended? valvetrain supporters? Does anyone know where to get the best deal on all of this.

Best deal. www.kyspeed.com

Marksls1ta member name here.

The difference in the 1.7 and the 1.8 rocker arm is lift. The 1.8 will give you more net lift then the 1.7's. May be worth it if you never plan on adding a camshaft later.

Roller rockers have a full roller tip. They are heavier, but eliminate the side loading affects the stock rocker has as it pass's over the valve. The stock rockers are the lightest. And they are very strong. You can run very high lifts and if your worried about puking needle bearing out you can have Harland Sharp rebuild them for you. They have a bearing retainer system that works great.

Sounds to me though. You should stick with a stock rocker setup, with maybe a high ratio IF you plan on never installing a different cam. The full roller rockers are geared towards high HP setups where running a different after market head requires them because of bronze valve guides being used.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Oh ok. I thought switching out stuff would make the car run more efficient. Out with old, in with the new kind of deal. So no rocker change unless I'm goin with an a/m cam??? Which I don't plan on doing soon. Same goes for springs/pushrods??

New Question:
    What are signs that your heads are going out/need work.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Heads going out? I would guess maybe you mean valve guides? Really the only part that has a wear worth noting. Valve guide wear will produce blue smoke (oil) at certain RPMs. Mainly higher. Valve seals, that arnt really part of your heads could also start showing signs of wear with the same affects of guides. Other then that, your heads are probably fine.

And you can change your rocker arm out for a high ration. (1.8). It will net to more lift and probably 10-15 HP depending on some factors. Its not a bad mod if your plans are right. Can be installed in an hour and difficulty is very low on the mechanics side of things.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Heads going out? I would guess maybe you mean valve guides? Really the only part that has a wear worth noting. Valve guide wear will produce blue smoke (oil) at certain RPMs. Mainly higher. Valve seals, that arnt really part of your heads could also start showing signs of wear with the same affects of guides. Other then that, your heads are probably fine.

And you can change your rocker arm out for a high ration. (1.8). It will net to more lift and probably 10-15 HP depending on some factors. Its not a bad mod if your plans are right. Can be installed in an hour and difficulty is very low on the mechanics side of things.
    Awesome so changing stockers to 1:8 ratio with a stock cam will give me some hp?? Will I need to upgrade anything else to change to the 1:8. Springs??etc.......

White
    83 camaro z28

hey my name is shawn an i have a 83 camaro an im putting a LS1 in the car with the transmission . This is my first project car an i wanted to beef up the engine i need some help an i wanted to know if u guys can put me in the right direction on making this work .

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by z28rider View Post
    hey my name is shawn an i have a 83 camaro an im putting a LS1 in the car with the transmission . This is my first project car an i wanted to beef up the engine i need some help an i wanted to know if u guys can put me in the right direction on making this work .
    Yeah, you can start your own thread on the general info section, and ask all the questions you want. People should be able to help you there.

Now back to topic..........

White
    83 camaro z28

What do u have done to your ls1 ?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Just trying to clarify, cause I have considered rockers too.
    The 1.8s are used if you leave the cam stock.
    A higher lift would be used if you went with an aftermarket cam?

White
    83 camaro z28

I just got the motor an trans a couple days ago im looking to get the ms3 cam do u know anything about the magic stick cams i called a speed shop they said i should get the ls6 heads also

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

woh this got off track quick...

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

+1..

Thread Information