Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A few final questions on H/C build

This is a discussion on A few final questions on H/C build within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by blackSS01 Problem is, the more I research (which I have did a good amount) the more confused ...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Problem is, the more I research (which I have did a good amount) the more confused I get and end up changing my mind over and over again. I like the power gain that was advertised for the TSP cam I posted.
    hey man I feel your pain.....even after I got mine and had it in the car I wasn't sure if it was the exact one I wanted lol but it still makes good power!

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

GOD DAMN IT!!! Someone should have warned me before I bought the car in 2001 that modding was like crack/cocaine. Now after doing more searching, I might just say fuck it and get the torquer2. Arggg by the time I buy a cam, it will probably have .998 lift or some shit like that (being sarcastic)
    i have it and it makes enough torque to move my heavy @$$ goat ...needless to say i like the cam

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    hey man I feel your pain.....even after I got mine and had it in the car I wasn't sure if it was the exact one I wanted lol but it still makes good power!
    I feel the same way. Call around and see about a custom grind for your application: They may give you a better alternative, or tell you an off the shelf grind is fine. I've been researching cams for over a year and thankfully I havent had the money to buy one, but when I had to replace my motor I really started looking and found someone on Tech that had a very good cam that fit my build/budget. I asked around and the more I looked into it, the more comfortable I became with the cam.

Good luck with your build! Doin the work yourself, cause it really isn't that hard? Just don't drop the damn oil pump pickup bolt in the pan like I did

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

My buddy and myself are doing the work in my parents garage. I called TSP and the torquer v2 will not work with my car. The cam is only good for 64cc heads which mine will be 62cc. I would have to fly cut according to TSP so I have decided to go with the 228R which will work with my application. I am going to have to measure the push rod length but thats alright. I was also told by TSP that Comp 918's springs would be plenty good for my app so I more then likely am going to go that route. But as I type this, I could see myself changing my mind 2.2 million more times before the cash goes out to buy.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

My buddy and myself are doing the work in my parents garage. I called TSP and the torquer v2 will not work with my car. The cam is only good for 64cc heads which mine will be 62cc. I would have to fly cut according to TSP so I have decided to go with the 228R which will work with my application. I am going to have to measure the push rod length but thats alright. I was also told by TSP that Comp 918's springs would be plenty good for my app so I more then likely am going to go that route. But as I type this, I could see myself changing my mind 2.2 million more times before the cash goes out to buy.
    Should take you a weekend pending bullshitting, beer drinking, and keeping track of that pickup bolt!!! After I dropped it the first time, I went out and bought a steel dowel and a bunch of ring magnets (taped each end so they couldn't fall off) and laid it in the pan right under the pickup. I dropped it again and the magnets saved my ass!!!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I feel the same way. Call around and see about a custom grind for your application: They may give you a better alternative, or tell you an off the shelf grind is fine. I've been researching cams for over a year and thankfully I havent had the money to buy one, but when I had to replace my motor I really started looking and found someone on Tech that had a very good cam that fit my build/budget. I asked around and the more I looked into it, the more comfortable I became with the cam.

Good luck with your build! Doin the work yourself, cause it really isn't that hard? Just don't drop the damn oil pump pickup bolt in the pan like I did
    when i put my new stall in i got two of the three bolts in.....then dropped the third bolt down between the flywheel and pan. i took me about two hours to fish it out the first time......then dropped it right back in the same place two more times

Red
    2001 Trash Can

when i put my new stall in i got two of the three bolts in.....then dropped the third bolt down between the flywheel and pan. i took me about two hours to fish it out the first time......then dropped it right back in the same place two more times
    PITA these cars are! I took my torque arm off, and now I can't get it back on. I hate my life

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Won't have to worry about any of that. We are pulling the motor out of the car and setting that bitch on a engine stand. Might do some other shit while were in there

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Won't have to worry about any of that. We are pulling the motor out of the car and setting that bitch on a engine stand. Might do some other shit while were in there
    I dropped the motor, tranny, and K-member (shit a rod on my old motor) but forgot to bolt the pickup to the oil pump and remembered it after the motor was back in the car. Having the motor out is so much nicer!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I feel ya, that would suck monkey balls.

hugger orange

Eastwood sells a P&P kit and a 3 pack of 6" aluminum bits tha worked perfect to port the hell out of m stock 241 heads....if ou know where to and where not to grind in them you can reall make them flow.

i have pics of a cutout head section if you want me to post them

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Eastwood sells a P&P kit and a 3 pack of 6" aluminum bits tha worked perfect to port the hell out of m stock 241 heads....if ou know where to and where not to grind in them you can reall make them flow.

i have pics of a cutout head section if you want me to post them
    I would be scared I'd grind too much and have a bunch of turbulance...Did you do anything with the valves and combustion chamber or mill the heads or just port work? I just had a machine shop clean mine up, do a valve job, and mill them .005 to make sure they were flat since the cam I had specced was designed for use with stock heads.

hugger orange

I would be scared I'd grind too much and have a bunch of turbulance...Did you do anything with the valves and combustion chamber or mill the heads or just port work? I just had a machine shop clean mine up, do a valve job, and mill them .005 to make sure they were flat since the cam I had specced was designed for use with stock heads.
    i really opened up the exhaust ports and just alittle out of the intake side and sanded 80gt, 220gt, 320gt then finished with small buffing wheel and polished (brown compound), took alot out from around the valve guide so i had a sharp edge of brass and a nice smooth taper up to the top of the bowl, smoothed and opened the bowls up and took just alittle off of the back side of the hardend valve seat (sharp edge protruded into the bowl) to aid flow.

red= where i took outmost of the material
    green= valve seat rounding
    yellow arrow= be very carefull here the water jacket dips under the valve spring seat

Red
    2001 Trash Can

i really opened up the exhaust ports and just alittle out of the intake side and sanded 80gt, 220gt, 320gt then finished with small buffing wheel and polished (brown compound), took alot out from around the valve guide so i had a sharp edge of brass and a nice smooth taper up to the top of the bowl, smoothed and opened the bowls up and took just alittle off of the back side of the hardend valve seat (sharp edge protruded into the bowl) to aid flow.

red= where i took outmost of the material
    green= valve seat rounding
    yellow arrow= be very carefull here the water jacket dips under the valve spring seat
    Click for full size
    My cam has a lot more intake than exhaust so I guess to maximize my setup I'd have to do this on the intake side? I'm not going to be pulling the heads anytime soon, but it may make for a good winter project next year!

hugger orange

My cam has a lot more intake than exhaust so I guess to maximize my setup I'd have to do this on the intake side? I'm not going to be pulling the heads anytime soon, but it may make for a good winter project next year!
    you could just go out and pickup a set of junkyard head (241's) for around $100, just take your time and after you get them done just swap heads.
    you will want to do most of your work on the exhaust side especially with a cam with more intake than exhaust

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I am more then likely fucked. After looking over the heads I noticed a small knick by the fire ring of the head gasket. I didn't think anything of it and figured a slight mill would take care of it (clean up mill). After getting it back, looks like 58cc here I come which totally fucks me on my cam choice. No place in 250 sq miles that fly cuts and only had enough money for H/C at moment with misc shit (ie lifters, push rods, springs.....) No money to do new pistons and hone. Yup.... I'm fucked......

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I am more then likely fucked. After looking over the heads I noticed a small knick by the fire ring of the head gasket. I didn't think anything of it and figured a slight mill would take care of it (clean up mill). After getting it back, looks like 58cc here I come which totally fucks me on my cam choice. No place in 250 sq miles that fly cuts and only had enough money for H/C at moment with misc shit (ie lifters, push rods, springs.....) No money to do new pistons and hone. Yup.... I'm fucked......
    Wait, so they milled them to 58cc without consulting you? Well is the car a DD? There is a very good writeup on tech about flycutting the pistons so you could always give it a shot and save some dough? Let me find the link...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Link would be nice. They haven't milled them yet. Monday I send them in to get the final verdict and see what its going to take. I am praying just a clean up mill or else that throws a wrench in my entire plans.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oh, and its not a DD. Its on jack stands at the moment and in the parents garage since I don't have parking for it at the apt. I drive a meaty 3.1 L Corsica daily gets me from point A to point B.......Barely

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information