expected horse power out of a cam?

This is a discussion on expected horse power out of a cam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; How much power can you get out of a cam that you guys would reccomend. the engine is stock so ...

1999 T/A

expected horse power out of a cam?

How much power can you get out of a cam that you guys would reccomend. the engine is stock so thats why im asking what kind of RWHP can you get with a cam and tune only. I plan on getting better valve springs and pushrods when spring rolls by so thats not an issue.
    oh and my muffler is a magnaflow.........
    we are putting this cam in my friends car and thats all hes doing so I cant help him with the info.
    Last edited by via sin dios; 12-07-2007 at 05:31 PM.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

with most cams you can expect a 50 to 80 RWHP increase. It depends on the size of the cam, and mods you already have. Most guys out there do heads along with the cam. This helps a lot! a lot! If you're planning on doing just cam, springs and pushrods you'll probably see about a 50-60 RWHP gain. If you get your stockers ported and polished it will help too. Cams aren't the only thing that makes cars haul ass, pay attention to the little things like rocker rollers, stem seals, oil pumps, timing chain, etc. When it comes down to it, these are the difference makers, not the cam, anyone can throw in a cam and run decent. Just my two cents.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Oh! One more thing, what plans do you have for the car? Daily driver, cruiser? This info will help when asking what cam we would suggest.

1999 T/A

its not my car but its a daily driver

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

there are alot of cams do you have headers though??!
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    with most cams you can expect a 50 to 80 RWHP increase. It depends on the size of the cam, and mods you already have. Most guys out there do heads along with the cam. This helps a lot! a lot! If you're planning on doing just cam, springs and pushrods you'll probably see about a 50-60 RWHP gain. If you get your stockers ported and polished it will help too. Cams aren't the only thing that makes cars haul ass, pay attention to the little things like rocker rollers, stem seals, oil pumps, timing chain, etc. When it comes down to it, these are the difference makers, not the cam, anyone can throw in a cam and run decent. Just my two cents.
    Those numbers are the very high side of things.... 30-55rwhp is the average with not that many at all breaking the 50 mark.

To the original poster.... if your car is all stock (no headers/lid) then save your money; the headers and lid will make more power. I say this because no one with a stock exhaust is gonna pick up 40rwhp just changing a cam. Might not get more than 20.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

The Thunder Racing CheaTR cam is designed for stock exhaust with its much longer exhaust duration, and will get you 40 hp. However, it has aggressive cam lobes and new springs and pushrods are a must when you install it.

pewter

. I didnt buy springs yet for my cam. can the stock ones last for a few months? I was gonna get them around february

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    Those are some crazy high numbers for cam only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Those numbers are the very high side of things.... 30-55rwhp is the average with not that many at all breaking the 50 mark.

To the original poster.... if your car is all stock (no headers/lid) then save your money; the headers and lid will make more power. I say this because no one with a stock exhaust is gonna pick up 40rwhp just changing a cam. Might not get more than 20.

Quote Originally Posted by ls123456 View Post
    . I didnt buy springs yet for my cam. can the stock ones last for a few months? I was gonna get them around february
    IMO.... If your changing a stock cam, Push rods, springs, retainers and retainers are a..... Cam set-up. I wouldnt install even a "mild" 224 with out those upgrades.

pewter

well i know over time things can go very wrong, but if I baby the car for a month or two and then upgrade the sprngs ill be ok rite?

Red
    2001 ws6

wait and do it all at once, dont pay for labor 2x

pewter

im putting it in

Red
    2001 ws6

kk well that solves the labor problem haha, save yourself some labor and do em both at once

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

well i know over time things can go very wrong, but if I baby the car for a month or two and then upgrade the sprngs ill be ok rite?
    Why would you want to "baby" the car after putting a cam in it?

That just seems backwards to me, but good luck with the install.

pewter

i mean not beat onit too hard since the stock sprtings are still in

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i mean not beat onit too hard since the stock sprtings are still in
    you can very easily fuck your engine up.
    rebuilding an ls1 is not cheap.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

im putting it in
    This is stupid unless you are trashing this engine on purpose, listen to the advice that you asked for. A broken spring or other valve hardware failure can easily lead to a dropped valve. Care to wager what happens when you float those valves from weak springs at 5K RPMs and a valve finds it's way into a cylinder with a rapidly moving piston?

If you already put the cam in, don't start it. Don't run it until you change the springs.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Listen to what Frost is saying here. You could get away with starting and idling depending on the cam size, but it will run like poo and you will have to rev it to keep it running and one thing will lead to another and the next thing you know you are doing a ricer rev banging off the rev limiter and BANG........ your engine is dead.

Well, maybe!

This is stupid unless you are trashing this engine on purpose, listen to the advice that you asked for. A broken spring or other valve hardware failure can easily lead to a dropped valve. Care to wager what happens when you float those valves from weak springs at 5K RPMs and a valve finds it's way into a cylinder with a rapidly moving piston?

If you already put the cam in, don't start it. Don't run it until you change the springs.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

why wouldn't you do the springs when you're doing the cam? you got all that shit apart all ready...

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

im putting it in

Frost, I think he just meant that he wasn't paying for labor as he was putting it in himself. At least that what I gathered from previous post, but I do agree. I had to buy all the parts for my set up in a span of a year. Yes it is hard but well worth it when it comes together.

Thread Information