Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ETP 215'S VS AFR 205's

This is a discussion on ETP 215'S VS AFR 205's within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; how much would a set of L92 cost ?...

red
    2000TA

how much would a set of L92 cost ?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    how much would a set of L92 cost ?
    I couldnt use my 1200 dollar intake and TB with those. So they are out of the question. And the intake setups for them currently, arnt all that great.

If you are stuck on those valve angles you could always look at a set of Trick Flows. They have LS heads at 13.5 degree valve angles. Not a big change but still better than the stock LS angle of 15.

I've used their 18 degree heads on a Gen 1 small block and had great results. They make a nice head.

Black
    2000 Z-28

I still see the ETP heads advertised currently so it would be strange if they closed their doors.

Black
    2000 Z-28

But yeah I don't think you could go wrong w/ either of those heads or like firebirdjones said and look into some trickflows. Seems like they're putting up some serious numbers.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i will be going with tfs 215s when the time comes

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, Im giving up on ETP. 1) they are going(if not gone) out of buisness and 2) TFS heads do outshine on the same CC and on the same 'size' bore bench. I am seriously thinking of picking up a set.

Frost, you may be getting a few emails from me for further tuning

I would like to find some used for 500-600 off. That would be nice. I think these 215 TFS would do just fine on my future 408. Although, my plans might change and end up going slightly larger CI. When are these 215cc going to start being my part thats holding me back? At what CI would a 215cc not suffice?
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/flow...&cid=461&cyl=8

Hope this link works. This will help you determine about where your heads will peak as far as HP verses cubic inch.

Alot of things come into play obviously, camshaft being one of them. I would use flow data from the heads and pick a lift number just below the peak lift of the camshaft you are using, and use that flow number in the chart for a more conservative idea where you will be at.

Basically those TFS heads can support about (roughly) 600 hp with the right camshaft, compression, intake, carb, etc. etc.....

98' trans am

good choice i will be going with TFS heads when i make the big leap..despite their cost im with you ron...i'd love to find some used ones for 2k or 1800

Take that graph with a grain of salt though. It doesn't really take alot of other important things into account like intake velocity, things that promote good part throttle response and midrange power throughout the curve.

That chart is just simply a peak HP number, which is a small part of the equation.

98' trans am

IVO,IVC,EVO,EVC ..but that is came..also i have herd that with the ls6 matched or a ls2 matched to the TFSs..that they put up decent numbers..maybe the runner length and so forth matches well with the TFS215s..even though i would think the ls6 would start to become a bottlekneck with those heads and anything over a 346

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    IVO,IVC,EVO,EVC ..but that is came..also i have herd that with the ls6 matched or a ls2 matched to the TFSs..that they put up decent numbers..maybe the runner length and so forth matches well with the TFS215s..even though i would think the ls6 would start to become a bottlekneck with those heads and anything over a 346
    If I were going to build a full effort LS motor with good heads, I would probably shoot for a good intake as well anyway. For what I plan to do with our LS engines, the LS6 intake is doing a nice job. I don't plan high dollar heads though, and nothing but mild camshafts. Maybe my mind will change at some point though

98' trans am

oh it always does

98' trans am

ron you need to hurry up and get those heads so i can help

The ETP 215 heads are about on par with the AFR 205s. The trick with the ETP is getting the valvetrain right, and that's going to cost you. The AFR heads are the much better deal here.

Go with the AFR and don't look back. Yeah you might go with a bigger engine someday, but they'll work fine with most 402/408 builds. If you want something more radical, the AFRs hold their value well.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    The ETP 215 heads are about on par with the AFR 205s. The trick with the ETP is getting the valvetrain right, and that's going to cost you. The AFR heads are the much better deal here.

Go with the AFR and don't look back. Yeah you might go with a bigger engine someday, but they'll work fine with most 402/408 builds. If you want something more radical, the AFRs hold their value well.
    Thanks! I figured the valve train was going to be a PITA with the ETP's. You think the AFR 205's are the better deal even over TFS? The thing that stopped me from buying the TFS is having to buy rocker arms. Thats a good extra hit to the wallet right there. After talking to a rep, they told me to go with the 235cc TFS because for 1) I already have a 4" bore, and 2) any plans of a 408+ would do great (20 HP) over the 205/215cc.

So now, Im thinking 235cc. But all of a sudden its hitting 3000 bucks... really quick

I would think the TFS would be the better option over AFR 205 and ETP. But like Frost said, those heads are damn Unicorns and I have completely gave up after emailing them a few times.

98' trans am

its my understanding that afr supplies TFS with their cores

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thanks! I figured the valve train was going to be a PITA with the ETP's. You think the AFR 205's are the better deal even over TFS? The thing that stopped me from buying the TFS is having to buy rocker arms. Thats a good extra hit to the wallet right there. After talking to a rep, they told me to go with the 235cc TFS because for 1) I already have a 4" bore, and 2) any plans of a 408+ would do great (20 HP) over the 205/215cc.

So now, Im thinking 235cc. But all of a sudden its hitting 3000 bucks... really quick

I would think the TFS would be the better option over AFR 205 and ETP. But like Frost said, those heads are damn Unicorns and I have completely gave up after emailing them a few times.

Well that's the problem when you get into valve angles that are other than stock. You wind up with aftermarket valve train to make it all work.
    When I did 18 degree heads on my 406 gen 1 motor,,,I had to switch everything in the valve train,,,it's all 18 degree specific,,,including an 18 degree intake manifold. It gets very expensive in a big hurry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information