Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Engine Ping

This is a discussion on Engine Ping within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mikat1 Right back down to the cellar for you....

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mikat1 View Post
    Right back down to the cellar for you.

Artic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Right back down to the cellar for you.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

I seafoamed it smoked like a mad man. I am going today for a 100 mile cruise to blow it out will let you guys know, thanks for the help. Sounds like the C5 is no faster than my Formula. I did drive a C6 with a 6 speed. It was REAL nice !!

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Ping stopped!!

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Well its now 80 degrees and its pinging again. Funny thing I have test driven 3 C5 vettes and they all pinged. I will try some Lucas octane booster if that does not help, I need to get a scanner but I dont know anyone who has one. Some one told me that C6 vettes will run well on 91 octane is that true?

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Cop View Post
    Well its now 80 degrees and its pinging again. Funny thing I have test driven 3 C5 vettes and they all pinged. I will try some Lucas octane booster if that does not help, I need to get a scanner but I dont know anyone who has one. Some one told me that C6 vettes will run well on 91 octane is that true?
    yeah i figured that would happen, seafoam didnt work for me either. Did you check the fuel pressure by any chance. that is the last thing i have to check on mine once it is out of storage. keep us posted though. im dieing to figure this out myself. As far as the 91 octane in the c6, i know gm recomends premium only but they should handle 91 octane just fine. the computer will take out some timing to compensate for the lower octane and you will loose some power though.

GM recommends premium, and in some states 91 is as good as it gets.

In Ohio we had 94,,,and that's what I ran exclusively. I tuned the cars on it. When I moved to Arizona, 91 is as good as it gets here.
    I did have to go back and retune the cars a bit, they pinged on 91. I had to pull a couple of degrees of timing to make them happy. On a stock tune I wouldn't have even noticed a difference, since the timing tables are somewhat lame. I'd suspect the newer vettes and such, are the same way. Afterall, GM has to keep those warranty claims down,,,lol.

I'm not surprised you still have the problem. And I assume you are still running a stock tune???
    It should really be logged with a scanner or even better some sort of software to pinpoint the issue.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Can I trust a dealer?

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

How much work would it be if it needs a fuel pump? The hotter it is outside the worse it gets.

I probably mentioned this earlier,,,but it's easy to hook a fuel pressure gauge and go for a drive.
    Usually the gauges in the store don't have a long enough hose to reach the windshield,,,,so I use a 4 foot section of old A/C R12 charging hose. It has the same thread type as the shrader valve for your fuel rail.
    Once hooked up I just duct tape it to the windshield and go for a drive.

Pressure may look normal idling and even if you rev the engine. What you need to do is put a load on the engine in high gear, for a steady long pull up through the rpm range and watch the gauge. It shouldn't drop off more than 1-2 lbs. (if that) if the fuel pump is healthy and there are no blockages in the fuel system (aka: clogged filter, kinked line)

If there is alot of pressure drop the pump is weak,,,which would cause a lean condition,,,which in turn can cause detonation issues under load.

Fuel pumps aren't bad to change. You'll hear alot of people tell you to hack the floor. Up to you,,,but I find it pretty easy to drop the tank and swap the pump. I do it in a couple hours with the assistance of a car lift and a transmission jack.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

nothing is that bad to work on if you have a lift

well almost nothing vw's still suck

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    nothing is that bad to work on if you have a lift

well almost nothing vw's still suck
    Surely you can't be talking about vintage VW's from the 70's on back are you???

Those are a cake walk. You can have the entire engine out in 30 minutes. You can rebuild the entire engine without even needing a trip to the machine shop. Just order parts and rebuild in the garage. I can't think of any other engine you can do that with.
    It's the simplest design on the planet.

silver
    99 ws6

timing reduction

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    GM recommends premium, and in some states 91 is as good as it gets.

In Ohio we had 94,,,and that's what I ran exclusively. I tuned the cars on it. When I moved to Arizona, 91 is as good as it gets here.
    I did have to go back and retune the cars a bit, they pinged on 91. I had to pull a couple of degrees of timing to make them happy.timing from what # to what # I think I have 28 at WOT maybe 26 will be the solution for this dredded ping? On a stock tune I wouldn't have even noticed a difference, since the timing tables are somewhat lame. I'd suspect the newer vettes and such, are the same way. Afterall, GM has to keep those warranty claims down,,,lol.

I'm not surprised you still have the problem. And I assume you are still running a stock tune???
    It should really be logged with a scanner or even better some sort of software to pinpoint the issue.
    Thanks
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken,,,I believe the 98-99 models had 28 degrees at WOT from the factory. Along with the secondary timing table with lower numbers and it's ability to pull timing I would think you should be okay.

I don't know what other mods you have done, or if you even have a tune. But you could try pulling a couple degrees from your WOT tables if that's where it is accuring.

Have you logged it to see where it's pinging??

silver
    99 ws6

timing

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If I'm not mistaken,,,I believe the 98-99 models had 28 degrees at WOT from the factory. Along with the secondary timing table with lower numbers and it's ability to pull timing I would think you should be okay.

I don't know what other mods you have done,just mild street stripe cam 216-224-551-551-115,LTs,ory,catback,FAST78, ported stock TB or if you even have a tune.I have a HP tuners tune however the FAST78 was'nt installed at time of tune however car has allways pinged at WOT BTW during the tuning it did'nt ping but has started the ping again. But you could try pulling a couple degrees from your WOT tables if that's where it is accuring.

Have you logged it to see where it's pinging??
    not yet.I would like to have it logged.

In the process of checking fuel presure & air to fuel ratio w/ a wide band.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    not yet.I would like to have it logged.

In the process of checking fuel presure & air to fuel ratio w/ a wide band.

Thanks
    You are on the right track then. If your WOT is lean it will cause pinging. Once your WOT AFR is correct, and you still have issues,,,then I would probably look at the log and see exactly where the ping accurs on the timing tables,,,,and how much. Then pull a couple degrees as needed until it stops.
    You could always also try a few gallons of 100 octane unleaded if you can find it in your area,,,,just to see how it affects the knock. Eliminate any possibilities of false knock etc...before you make any changes.

silver
    99 ws6

ping

I was thinking my ORY was hitting the floor creating false knock had it closely inspected by a muffler man and there happened to be an LS1 expert there at the time either could see the exhaust contacting however I do hear it contacting very rarely and only at idel when I feel it inside.

when I know something is wronge and I have it inspected the car makes me look like an asshole and behaves.

as far as a nice software log, I can detect the ping at real high RPMs then just look at the tach.

?. the co. that made the old style mass air flow translators also made a timer

was this timer inteeded for NOS applications? or is this an inexpensive way to retard the timing a few degrees?

Thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

How much work would it be if it needs a fuel pump? The hotter it is outside the worse it gets.
    Removing the fuel pump is a job but it can be done start to finish by a novice in about 3 hours (without a lift) on a lift would be much gooder lol. Or you can go red neck on it and start cutting holes in the body and throwing sparks over top of the gas tank. Then just pull it up out of the hole and change it that way..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

no hacky the trunk

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    no hacky the trunk
    +100,000

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information