navy
    2001 TA WS6

engine got hot! how hot is to hot!

My rad got a hole in it. I drove my car till i noticed the temp gage going up. (one fan came on the other was not on yet) there was no coolant in the engine. Is 210 to 225 still ok or should i expect problems when i get a new rad like heads, gaskets or something else. I did not put coolant in my car yet i just got it towed. buying a new rad on saturday.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

you should be good man.....I ran out once too and the temp got way the fuck up on the gauge...about 3/4th up on it if not higher......no probs afterwards.....just keep an eye on it man

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yea just don't go wot or high rpms..drive her easy..but those temp ranges aren't too bad..but you keep them for a long time and its going to fuuuuck your engine up
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

225 is fine, remember those engines are designed to run hot. if it was only driven for a few short minutes/miles are you noticed this, you are fine and no internal damage occurred, and no warping of the heads, block happened.

hot is only too hot when the engine seizes...lol then you're screwed

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I had a Jeep that the water pump went out on. It saw 300 degrees and ran fine after I pull a new pump in it.

Quote Originally Posted by winston01 View Post
    My rad got a hole in it. I drove my car till i noticed the temp gage going up. (one fan came on the other was not on yet) there was no coolant in the engine. Is 210 to 225 still ok or should i expect problems when i get a new rad like heads, gaskets or something else. I did not put coolant in my car yet i just got it towed. buying a new rad on saturday.

If you truly only reached 225 & you let it cool down slowly, then it's probably ok. Once she's running again, remove the oil filler cap while idling. It should be sucking air into the head cover/ engine. If the oil filler cap is blowing air out against your hand (pressure/ not vacuum), then a ring gland/land or piston is likely damaged. The top of the pistons get real hot in a hurry & many have damaged the tops of 1 & 2 simply from allowing the coolant levels to get low. This causes 1 & 2 to run w/ air pockects in the head/top of block & warps the top of the piston. If there is head gasket damage (blown) you'll see white smoke out of the exhaust. It's doubtfull that the heads warped @ all.

Am not trying to make you nervous, just wanted to post a way to find a problem, if one exists. Good-luck

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Remember............

A temp sensor is a liquid sensor not a steam sensor ..........So your # that you see after losing ALL coolant is NOT acurate!!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information