Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Engine is dying SES is blinking... HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Engine is dying SES is blinking... HELP!!! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po My instructer once told " a blinking check engine light means your Cat is going out" ...

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po
    My instructer once told " a blinking check engine light means your Cat is going out"
    blinking light could mean anything...the reason its blinking is because what ever is wrong needs attention NOW......

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Haha, read your owners manual, blinking means misfire. Also, your pushrod is most likely under your lower intake (that piece you were told to leave alone in an earier post) and in the unlikely event that it is not there, it is in the pan, it won't take alot of work to get it out, maybe a lot of time, but not a lot of work -kinda like changing plugs on these things. Seen this more times than I want to admit, at least it wasn't ever on my car

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Haha, read your owners manual, blinking means misfire. Also, your pushrod is most likely under your lower intake (that piece you were told to leave alone in an earier post) and in the unlikely event that it is not there, it is in the pan, it won't take alot of work to get it out, maybe a lot of time, but not a lot of work -kinda like changing plugs on these things. Seen this more times than I want to admit, at least it wasn't ever on my car
    you need brain surgery

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I'm not the one who said blinking light means NEEDS ATTENTION NOW. . .hmmmmmmm

99PontTA
    you know nothing

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

No really, just go read your owners manual. We don't need a pro's opinion we don't need to argue, just go read your owners manual, it states that a blinking SES light means a misfire has been detected, and might I point out that if you read the previous posts when he got it scanned it came up that cylinder 3 was misfiring, who's a brain surgeon? A SES light at all means it needs attention now, it wouldn't have to blink to point that out.

99PontTA
    a miss fire could be caused by anything...get a brain!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    so you threw a rod???

BIG difference between bending a pushrod and throwing a rod ( commonly known as a connecting rod in that case ) When I over-reved mine (driver error on a shift) It did not bend a push rod, but did stick a lifter. I was able to inject the lifter with ATF and let it set a few hours. When I started it back up the ticking went away and has been fine ever since. I have hit the limiter several times and have not had it happen again.
    "NO box NO bottle, just brains and throttle"

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    blinking light could mean anything...the reason its blinking is because what ever is wrong needs attention NOW......
    Z-driver is right, a blinking ses light means there's a misfire...plain and simple.

99PontTA
    ok since you are an expert and have hrs and hrs of programing time...........BS it could mean a 100 different problems...from a stuck injector to a bad spark plug!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

ok since you are an expert and have hrs and hrs of programing time...........BS it could mean a 100 different problems...from a stuck injector to a bad spark plug!
    Yes that's what could cause a misfire...but a blinking SES means there's a misfire, that's simply what he was stating. You said "blinking light could mean anything...the reason its blinking is because what ever is wrong needs attention NOW......" and that is completely wrong. A blinking ses doesn't just "mean anything"...it means there's a misfire, and the next step is to troubleshoot what is causing the misfire. It's pretty simple really....kinda scary that you don't understand it. Sounds more like Z-driver proved you wrong and now you're trying to BS your way out. Do a search on this board or any other....or even open your owners manual.

sonnyred
    Steady light =emissions
    Blinking a misfire and according to the manual needs attention asap.Plain and simple.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyred
    Steady light =emissions
    Blinking a misfire and according to the manual needs attention asap.Plain and simple.
    Are you saying that the manual says that blinking refers to a misfire and that that misfire needs attention asap, or that it is two different situations -one being a misfire and the other being something else that needs attention asap. I could understand this misunderstanding if the manual is being misread as saying it is two different situations.

99 Firebird Formula

Hey guys let's knock off the insults...everyone is right to some extent.

A blinking SES light denotes a misfire that needs attention asap. The reason people mention cats going bad is because if you let a bad misfire go long enough, it will take out a catalytic converter with it (if you've still got them, anyway). When you are getting the blinking SES light it is usually painfully obvious that you've got a misfire, the car runs like absolute crap.

Many times also you'll get a blinking light and the code will not refer you to a specific cylinder, it'll just say P0300 random misfire, which can be a little tricky. When I got that it turned out to be the o2 sensor on its way out. While I was deciding what o2's to go with I left the car flashed to stay in open loop - it took another 50 miles of driving to get an SES light that actually referred to the oxygen sensor! I knew it was the problem as soon as it started however, it was a dead giveaway. The car would run fine for the first minute or two (open loop) and then chug along once it was in closed loop (i.e. relying on o2's for data). When i looked at it with a scan tool the o2's were barely moving at all.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I get carried away in the moment sometimes, I never directly insulted anyone I hope. I just think this board is for helping each other and I get pissed when someone calls what I say BS and tells me I don't know anything and to get a brain, when all I did was state the facts in hope of helping answer the question.

sonnyred
    2000 Camaro manual page 2-86---2-87 If light is flashing
    1--reduce car speed

2--avoid hardcceleration
    3--avoid steep hills
    4--if light continues to flash stop car
    5--wait ten seconds restart engine
    6--if light is still flashing drive the vehicle to your nearest dealer Itdid not say asap but my way of thinking it means get your ass over there as quick as possible.Oh yeah and bring the car with you.

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyred
    2000 Camaro manual page 2-86---2-87 If light is flashing
    1--reduce car speed

2--avoid hardcceleration
    3--avoid steep hills
    4--if light continues to flash stop car
    5--wait ten seconds restart engine
    6--if light is still flashing drive the vehicle to your nearest dealer Itdid not say asap but my way of thinking it means get your ass over there as quick as possible.Oh yeah and bring the car with you.
    hmm it doesn't say a dam thimg about a miss fire now does it?????

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Yes that's what could cause a misfire...but a blinking SES means there's a misfire, that's simply what he was stating. You said "blinking light could mean anything...the reason its blinking is because what ever is wrong needs attention NOW......" and that is completely wrong. A blinking ses doesn't just "mean anything"...it means there's a misfire, and the next step is to troubleshoot what is causing the misfire. It's pretty simple really....kinda scary that you don't understand it. Sounds more like Z-driver proved you wrong and now you're trying to BS your way out. Do a search on this board or any other....or even open your owners manual.
    BULL PUCKY~!

sonnyred
    hmm it doesn't say a dam thimg about a miss fire now does it?????
    Page-2-86 light flashing -A misfire condition has been detected. But you know what ask me if i care.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Wow...

99PontTA - A blinking SES light means a continuous misfire on a certain 1 or more cylinders, however, if the car onyl misifres once it will not throw a blinking SES, but a steady SES until the ECM reads no misfires for an amount of time.

Also, yes a misfire could be CAUSED by any of the things you mentioned, but that doesnt change the fact that the blinking SES is intended to state only that THERE IS A MISFIRE that needs attention and is continuously misfiring.

Now, please stop talking.

Thank you
    -Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information