Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Engine coolant issue with my LS1

This is a discussion on Engine coolant issue with my LS1 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; When checking the coolant level, do most of you guys use the stick in the overflow or just pop the ...

maroonZ

Question Coolant level?

When checking the coolant level, do most of you guys use the stick in the overflow or just pop the rad cap when cold?

The reason I ask is because I checked the radiator and it appeared to be low. Then I checked the overflow tank and it said full/cold.

So I went to get some collant and once the car had warmed up, i checked the level in the rad again and it was fine and so was the level in the overflow tank.

Is this normal? Could my radiator cap be malfunctioning?

All of the other GM vehicles that I have owned would keep the radiator full even when cold.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I bought my 99 TA WS6 brand new and at the 6 month mark I started having issues with the low engine coolant light coming on. I checked the fluid level and everything was at the right levels. I took the car to the dealer and was told it was a faulty sensor which they replaced. The light started coming back on and again I took it back in and they replaced the sensor. I took the car to 3 different Pontiac dealers for this service and had the sensor replaced approx 8 times. On about the 5th visit to Wyatt Johnson Pontiac one of the mechanics told me that I had power steering fluid mixed in with my engine coolant. I asked how is that possible and he said that it was not possible because they are 2 complete separte systems and are not interconnected. I had the engine pressure checked and they said that no seals were blown and everything was fine. Fast forward to Feb 2005 when my power steering pump starts making noise and the rack and lines are leaking. I paid $2300 for a new power steering pump, rack and lines. Nov 2005 my power steering pump does the same thing and all of the same items have to be replaced. Took it back to the same dealer and now I'm told that it would not be covered under warranty because the pump failed due to a different reason than when I bought it in in Feb 2005. They discovered the cause of the mixing of power steering fluid and coolant. Inside the radiator hose there is a small coolant line that had ruptured and this is where the fluids were intermixing. To make a long story short they did not cover it under warranty and the lady at the GM complaint line took all the info but their policy is to take the word of the service manager. I'm in the process of taking the dealership to small claims court for not honoring their written warranty and we'll see how it turns out. But I had the same thing on the coolant dipstick (almost a paste).

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I guess this is a finalization for this forum...since my radiator levels have yet to move. I'd think I was imagining things if i didn't have to re-fill my radiator and overflow almost completely twice! The good thing is, I kept my eye on that damn temp guage and when I was beginning to see 220 degrees too often I knew something was up. Luckily, as far as I know, nothing has been damaged. Last week to be on the safe side though, I had Dex-Cool flushed out of my car and I'm now using traditional green stuff. It was also pressure-checked, and came out OK. just another camaro mystery

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

well you lucked out i guess...im pulling the plugs tomorrow to check for coolant, but i believe i have a bad head gasket...im getting vapor in the oil. Maybe if i pull the heads, different ones will miracle their way on!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I lied before...THIS is my final post on this issue.

After my car was flushed and pressure-checked 3 weeks ago, everything seemed fine. The mechanic said he doesn't understand what happened months prior the flush. This week, I noticed this clicking noise I've been hearing from the motor since I've bought it has worsen. On monday, I'm driving along, stop in traffic, and hear my fan go on. Thinking about what happened previously, I look at my temp guage and it was dropping from about 240 degrees. On the way home it hit almost 260 in traffic. Me and my father were trying to find the leak next morning after seeing a puddle under my car. After hours of testing, we couldnt find it and took it off the ramps. As soon as I'm about to walk in, I see a HUGE puddle under my car! We found it was the water pump (all along) and had it replaced today. Now my car runs quieter than ever. That noise I've been hearing since I bought the car was the damn water pump, and that white paste was most likely from the previous owner to stop the leak in the system.

FINALLY! OVER!

HUGGER ORANGE
    1999 camaro SS #145

(((need Help With Lt1)))

OK maybe you guys can help me out here my 30th camaro LT1 is leaking coolant like mad the oil is clean so nothing is going in there and i see no leaks any were but this is strange as hell is i had a guy watch me pull out of a drive way and when i put the petal to the metal that water shot out of my exhaust what in the hell could cause that the car still runs fine but i can't drive it more than 5 miles now so i haven't been driving it now for 3 months and ive seen it myself it blows water right out of my exhaust and also a steady stream dribbles out at idle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information