Black
    2002 Formula

Edelbrock Heads & Cam

I'm currious to know if anyone has or if anyone knows anybody that has purchased the Edelbrock Rollin' Thunder matching heads and cam. I have always seen the add for them in HPP and GM High Tech Performance magazines. the part numbers for Jegs is 2218 for the cam and 61949 for the cam. Appertenly the big thing behind this combination is there is no need for a tune after the installation. if anyone can give me a little info about this that would be great or if anyone knows of a better combination that would be a great help. Thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 02BlackSunshine View Post
    Appertenly the big thing behind this combination is there is no need for a tune after the installation.
    Ya I don't believe that. You can run alot of head/cam combos without a tune but you won't get all the power out of it. Any cam swap will benefit from a tune. Could you post up a link these parts I'm curious about the cam specs?

Shucks I've found the bone stock setups benefit from a tune,,,,,I can't imagine someone advertising aftermarket heads and cams that run on the stock programming.

Black
    2002 Formula

The Cam can be found on this page under the LS1 section http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2218/10002/-1#

And the Heads can be found on this page
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/61949/10002/-1

Red
    1998 C5 Corvette

I've seen the same Edelbrock add but I haven't heard of anyone trying it. That would be great to buy a performance cam and not need a tune.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by silver99ss View Post
    I've seen the same Edelbrock add but I haven't heard of anyone trying it. That would be great to buy a performance cam and not need a tune.
    A mod on ls1tech has the heads. He said they flow similar to AFR/Trick Flow, but otherwise I have no clue.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Unless it's an intake, I wouldn't buy anything Edelbrock puts out for LS series engines. They specialize in Gen I SBC and carb's, not LS engines.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Unless it's an intake, I wouldn't buy anything Edelbrock puts out for LS series engines. They specialize in Gen I SBC and carb's, not LS engines.
    Same thing I was thinking, but hey, who knows...? Obviously many other people have the same view because I don't think a lot of people have them.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i dunno... eld has been making some bad ass shit for years on older cars... i bet they can make some bad ass cams for our cars...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i dunno... eld has been making some bad ass shit for years on older cars... i bet they can make some bad ass cams for our cars...
    I would like to try them out, but unlike my cheapo headers, the Edelborck stuff is right up there in price with AFR and TrickFlow, which are already outta he realm of what I want to spend on a head/cam combo lol. The mod on ls1tech that has them goes by "thechef" I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    Shucks they specialize in just about everything. They make aluminum heads for just about any motor out there now. I wouldn't have any second thoughts of using their LSx heads at all.

Jeee wiz they've been making stuff for engines since before you were born,,,way back in the flathead days of hotrodding they did cylinder heads. They even cast stuff for major car manufactures,,,,remember the 69 1/2 superbee with the 440 6/pack engine???? Guess who cast the intakes for those???
    They have made some great shit over the years. Best part is it's American made too. I had a chance to chat with Vic years ago at his shop over in Torrance. Great guy, a real car guy..

Besides,,,just about anyone casting fresh cylinder heads for an LS engine is still pretty new at it,,,,,this engine has barely been around for the better part of 10 years anyway,,,,it's still a baby.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Not alot of guys using these heads on LS1 Tech so I'd think the results from em aren't earth shattering. I'd stick to AFR/Trick Flow/ETP for big dolla heads.

Well I wouldn't base my purchases on what people at LS1 tech are using but to each there own.

I personally would compare flow numbers between the heads as to intake runner size they are using and go from there. I'm sure someone can find a head suitable to the combination intended.

But you're right in that some companies do produce better flowing heads for the port size used like AFR for example. So long as the intake runner size is the same for each head that is compared to it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-24-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I wouldn't base my purchases on what people at LS1 tech are using but to each there own.

I personally would compare flow numbers between the heads as to intake runner size they are using and go from there. I'm sure someone can find a head suitable to the combination intended.

But you're right in that some companies do produce better flowing heads for the port size used like AFR for example.
    I wouldn't buy em without seeing results from em period.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    +1 on that. If not that many on Tech are using those, their probably is a reason for that.

Party Time, Excellent... Kingc8r's Avatar

Arctic White
    2000 Z-28

The only Edelbrock LS heads I would buy would be Texas Speed's PRC Terminator heads

Then check out Chevy High Performance and a couple other mags. They've done extensive testing and made great power with them, if thats what makes you feel better.
    But fact is anyone can inflate dyno numbers,,,,,like I said,,,,what really matters is flow numbers based on the intake runner size.
    You want a head that flows the best with the smallest intake runner possible. That would be the best way to compare heads and then go from there.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Then check out Chevy High Performance and a couple other mags. They've done extensive testing and made great power with them, if thats what makes you feel better.
    I meant real world results.

I meant real world results.
    Okay I understand. I'm sure if you dig around there are some cars with track proven performance if thats what you're after.

Really though,,,flow numbers are real world results. You can take any given cylinder head, take the flow numbers they offer and with simple math equations you can easily figure out the maximum HP achievable (the cylinder head will support) with any given cubic inch engine if the combination is optimized.
    With this information in hand, you can also easily compute real world performance at the drag strip with any given car on paper before even spending a dime on anything. This will get you very close and it's the approach most high end engine builders use when putting together a particular combination for a customer with certain goals,,,usually in NHRA class racing and such,,,,but for most people here this is hardly worth discussing on a street car.

With this said,,,if the Edelbrock heads flow similar numbers as another competitors brand,,,,it can be said that the HP and performance of a particular car/combination should produce similar results.
    You can get even more technical with mid lift flow numbers and such,,,which are even more important than peak numbers,,,since naturally the valves only hit peak once during 1 camshaft rotation,,,but they pass over the mid lift area twice,,,both on the way up and on the way down.

It's easy to compare all these numbers to any other head manufacture. Most all of them list flow numbers. Just have to keep the runner sizes the same between heads to keep the comparison real.

Hope that makes sense.

Thread Information