Black/Silver Stripes
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Dropping ls6 info...

I own a 2000 ws6 w/ higher milage and was thinking about putting a new motor in it. I was thinking about just buying a rebuild motor from gm and they want the same price for an ls1 and an ls6. So i figured id just put the ls6 in and if i want more power modify it. Im curious what modifications are required to drop the ls6 in. I know you have to do the egr on the intake manifold but is there anythin major such as the ecu or the wiring harness. Let me know.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

my 02 T/A came with the ls6 block in it ls6 intake and i put the ls6 heads on it. so as far as i know nothing will need to be changed. just get it with the f-body oil pan and its a direct bolt in.

Black
    1970 Convertible Corvette

Check the casting number on your 02 block it may be an LS6 block and it may not be according to what I have read. Casting number for an LS6 block is 12561168. IIRC, only 25% of 02's were LS6 blocks. Even fewer in 01 at 15%. I was just a little disappointed to find out my new, to me, 02 LS1 block was an LS1 and not in fact an LS6 block. Oh well.

My percentages may be high as I going off memory.

NBM
    1998Z28

If you don't ever plan on modding it. I'm sure that would be a good choice. However if you plan on somewhere down the road to throw on a cam/head package or if you plan on doing alot of playing around at the local drag strip then an aftermarket shortblock would be your best investment.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

i checked it when i did my heads. i was pleasantly suprised. oh except for the fact that the hack mechanic i took it to the first time, to do the heads, stripped one of the bolt holes in the block then instead of fixing it properly he just filled it with thread locker. then the dealer said there is no way to fix it. so i tapped out to a 1/2 inch and had a custom stud made for it since i was using arp studs for the rest. then after buying the service maual, i found a part # for the repair kit the dealer said didn't exist.sorry for rant, it just pissed me off

Thread Information