Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Question Drivers side lifters chatter?

Hey everyone,

I've got a 98 WS6 that internally is all stock. The last few weeks i've been getting a chatter from my drivers side head, it sounds like the lifters to me. But i'm not sure. I've also got a little bit of a funny running idle, but i found that the #1 and #2 piston plugwires were barely connected so i think that was my rough idle.

BUT any idea on the chatter? is it time for new lifters? i know i'm about due for an oil change so i'm hoping that some fresh oil wil help calm it down.

It mostly only makes the chatter at idle, though i did have the T's off yesterday and i could hear it just a tad going down the road.

Thanks for any input.
    Casey
    Last edited by setzer6127; 05-06-2008 at 07:42 AM.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

What is your oil pressure gauge running at?

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

when i looked earlyer at idle it was just above 40 on the gauge, which as far as i know is normal.

Red
    02 camaro Z28

i have the same problem. my gauge sits at 40, and when its real hot i'd say 35 at idle. once i get on it it jumps to 50. is that similar to yours? i'm due for an oil change too..

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

use some lucas oil additive and some 10w-30 when you do the oil change. hopefully its not a lifter. when they where doing the rebuild on mine the lifter was getting stuck and not dropping back down and the push rod was hitting it causing the chatter

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Hrm.. thanks for the sugestion, i've been running Royal Purple 5W30 in it... the Lucas OK to use with the synths i'm assuming? i can probably step it up to the 10W30 purple. I planed on changing the oil this weekend but i havent picked up the goods yet. So i guess i can go that rout and see if it helps the situation or not.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Ok, so Friday i changed my oil, added some lucas oil additive and it seems to be slightly quiter, but its still definitely chattering, and after the engine is warm it idles really funny. It's not really rough and hard, but it's almost like a stutter every once in a while. RPMs are around 700 or so which i believe is normal. Makes me think that maybe my valves arent closeing and opening all the way every time. But i havent noticed anything going down the road.

Any ideas?

rocker arms? valve springs? every thing in the valve train?

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Have you ever had your rocker arms loose for any reason? If so, maybe the preload may not be set right. Outside of that, you may be right. You may need new lifters. Chattering is common in these engines, but usually goes away after warming up. You indicate that your continues after you drive it some. Sounds like the lifters could be shot.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

as far as i can tell the valve covers have never even been off of the engine. I'm the 4th owner, i know the last guy didnt do jack to it because he only put 800 miles on it. So no i've never had the rocker arms off. I really dont want to have to tear into this thing yet!.. hrm.. damn..

Black
    2002 WS6 TA

same issue here. i had it at a GM dealer, they told me it needed lifters. i have 15k on it now. the dealer put new lifters in it supposedly, it still does it. my oil psi is great. come to find out a few of the valves aren't seating causing my rough idle. it runs fine in the upper rpm's not sure whats going on but they will be doing a valve job next. hope that fixes it. not sure if thats your issue but some thing to think about.

Black
    2001 Ram Air

lifter rattle

the valvetrains on LS1's are the weak point,for people that drive like us, i thought we all knew that. Start with springs and rockers arms then lifters in order of death. Had my valvetrain done -springs, pushrods, guide plates, rocker arms, took away my rattle and chatter until 100K now my lifters are acting up....should have done them at the same time. IMO i would not think any "performance" oil and filter combo would change this ...its inevetible

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

My noise problem was my exhaust header gaskets. I ended up having to use double gaskets, problem went away. I'm getting a little shutter at idle now, but i've done lots of little tweaking to this thing and unless the prior owner had any computer work done, its still running the stock tune. So i figured it probably just needs a tune done.

black
    2000 camaro ss

same problem here at 42k.

Black
    2002 WS6

Dude, leave it the F alone. I have invested over $1500 chasing meaningless tics and rattles. In the end, the car still does it. Drive it like you stole it.... and rebuild if it blows.

Thread Information