Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Does the 98-00 model LS1's have more top end power than my 2001 Trans Aam?

This is a discussion on Does the 98-00 model LS1's have more top end power than my 2001 Trans Aam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; WELL I HAVE OOZ-28 AND I BEATEN 02 WITH THE SAME MOD AND LOST TO SOMES. EVERY CAR RUN DIFFERANCE. ...

red
    1999 transam

WELL I HAVE OOZ-28 AND I BEATEN 02 WITH THE SAME MOD AND LOST TO SOMES. EVERY CAR RUN DIFFERANCE. JUST MY 5 CENTS:slapboobies:

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    The Dale Earnhardt car is put together by GMMG, not GM. No F bods got LS6 heads. Ohh, and there was no "LS6" cam back in 98 .
    What's sad is it doesn't matter how many times we tell them there were no LS6 heads or cams from the factory on F-bods they are still gonna go out and spread this urban legend to anyone that will listen. It reminds me of the L98 5 speed myth that I still hear to this day. Even had a guy a tell me he had a 1992 25th Anv Edition with an LT-1 and a 6 speed from the factory. He said they did it because it was the 25th anv! LOL!

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE LS6 CAM.AND I CONSIDER ANYTHING OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR A PRODUCTION CAR FUCKER.SO KEEP LAUGHIN
    The Dale Earnhardt car is put together by GMMG, not GM. No F bods got LS6 heads. Ohh, and there was no "LS6" cam back in 98

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by breakparts View Post
    WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE LS6 CAM.AND I CONSIDER ANYTHING OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR A PRODUCTION CAR FUCKER.SO KEEP LAUGHIN
    The Dale Earnhardt car is put together by GMMG, not GM. No F bods got LS6 heads. Ohh, and there was no "LS6" cam back in 98
    LS6 cam comment was towards someone else in the thread (someone even dumber than you). Not a production car. Do you consider a Lingenfelter twin turbo C5 a production car?

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

if it was orderd through gm then hell fuckin yes. do people consider a saleen or a roush mustang showroom floor production cars.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Saleens can be bought at any Ford dealership. Dale Earnhardt SSs came from GMMG. Not a production car.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

i read somewhere that civics run 10's with a neon pain job...and 9's with 5 nossss bottles in the passenger seat

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

OK SHIT -gmmg isnt production then---but danm I found some f-bods sold with ls6's didnt I-- I GIVE MYSELF AN A FOR ASSHOLE

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

my 2002 z28 came with a zo6 clutch..rated to 500 hp as an option. it was a pretty grabby clutch i must say.. i didnt know i had it till i needed a new clutch and my part number was not the regular replacement it was alot more money..so i researched..does any body know if 2000 and older came with any super factory clutch.

White
    1998 TA Convertible

Cool

Some heads have something06 embossed on them. Is this why they think they are z06?

PEWTER
    1999 Z28 CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    yea, 2.73 sucked. I managed to run 13.3 with those on a stockish 02 Z. Just dropped in 3.73s, Pace LTs, PAce ORYP, new plugs/ wires, 3800 Vig Stall, and a new tune.... hoping it will run a bit better =)
    You should run quite better. I'm doing 12.50's with my mods below.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

my 2002 z28 came with a zo6 clutch..rated to 500 hp as an option. it was a pretty grabby clutch i must say.. i didnt know i had it till i needed a new clutch and my part number was not the regular replacement it was alot more money..so i researched..does any body know if 2000 and older came with any super factory clutch.
    01-02s came with the Z06 clutch.

red
    1999 transam

wow this is gettting out of hand.

candy red
    98 Camaro Z28

Actually the 98 model is the better model because they have bigger injectors than the 99-00 models and a bigger cam than the 01-02 models so basically all you need is to bolt on a ls6 intake to beat the 01-02 models.The 98 has better internals which is more important than just a bolt on. The 01-02 had hot have the ls6 in order to compensate for the truck cam they used for better emissions.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Actually I believe the 01-02s have better rod bolts in em.

It wasn't an option, it was standard on all 01 and 02 LS1 F-bodys. Before the 01's a lot of people were having to do the clutch mod but after the Z06 clutch it wasn't necessary anymore.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

ive read that 01 02 ls1 has a superior oiling system in the block..more open to the timing chain and such.gm high tech had an article...if 01 02 had better rod bolts how would the hp max limit change versus a pre 01 motor.ive been told 500 rwhp max on stock bottom end.but wouldnt 01 02 have more reliability then..if so then you 98 guys can have the bigger cam cuz id rather change my cam then change my rod bolts prematurely..

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    as for top end pull, some LS1 cars came with the 2.73 rear end gear which would make it pull better than a 3.23 car.
    the lid and exhaust will net you around 15 rear wheel horsepower.
    Quote Originally Posted by bene
    No. You got it reversed. 2.73s will pull harder on top end than 3.23s. 3.23s/3.73s/4.10s will pull harder on low end than 2.73s.
    The initial poster said his car was running 103mph in the 1/4 with 3.23's, which should put him at 4350rpms, in drive, in the traps. The same mph with 2.73's would be at the shift 2-3 shift point, 5950rpms dropping down to 3670rpms after the shift occurs.

I could see where a specific mph point may be better for the 2.73 gears, as in the example, but I don't understand how lower numeric gears can "pull harder" than gears with a higher mechanical advantage anywhere, even at higher speeds.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

please someone really give me facts on how an a4 is better than an m-6. i just had this discussion over at ls1 tech.and i got nothing but dude there just better.or the same old well fuelers run powerglides.I DONT CARE I WANT TO KNOW HARD FACTS OR EDUCATED OPINIONS.all ive heard of is a torq converter that will give 400 rwtq from a mild bolt on car. dont know how, but cmon you really like your auto,SHOOL ME IF ITS BETTER tell me facts.
    A factory automatic's only advantage is consistancy. A computer can do the same exact shift at the same rpm relentlessly.

Now, add a high stall converter, and the rpm drop between gears gets better (less drop) as the converter reaches its stall speed. A stallled converter is multiplying torque applied to the input shaft of the trans. Multiplying the torque applied at a higher rpm than the stock converter would allow immediately after the shift, and now you see where the advantage comes from.

If by 'fuelers' you mean top fuel dragster/funnycar, they do not run powerglides. They use a computer controlled clutch that slips from the moment the car launches, and gets progressively tighter in timed intervals from the launch. Its a delicate balancing act between too much clutch overpowering the tires (even at 660 ft) or letting excess HP go up in clutch smoke.

As for 400 rear wheel torque, look for 'locked' and 'unlocked' numbers to see the difference, especially with a converter.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by CandyRedZ28 View Post
    Actually the 98 model is the better model because they have bigger injectors than the 99-00 models and a bigger cam than the 01-02 models so basically all you need is to bolt on a ls6 intake to beat the 01-02 models.The 98 has better internals which is more important than just a bolt on. The 01-02 had hot have the ls6 in order to compensate for the truck cam they used for better emissions.
    The '01 + LS1s also got the LS6 injectors, according to How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8's. I'm quoting a tip from page 49 in the section Production parts for performance:
    The 2001 LS6 fuel injectors have higher flow, and to simplify the manufacturing process, the 2001 LS1s received these same injectors, also.
    As for the cams, 98-00 cars ran 198/209 @ .050" on 119.5 LSA. 01-02 cars ran 196/207 @ .050" on 116 LSA. The change was made for an increase in low-end torque, not emissions. As a result of the tighter overlap, EGR was no longer required, which is why it was phased out of the LS6 manifolds. Aside from that, two degrees on each does not account for a major difference in power up top.

The rest of my list is from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I tired of looking these up. Additional improvements to the 2001 cars that I have not seen listed yet in this thread included improved exhaust manifolds and better flowing heads (241). All of these added up to a 5hp increase by GM, but suffice it to say there are no advantages to the older cars.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information