Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Does the 98-00 model LS1's have more top end power than my 2001 Trans Aam?

This is a discussion on Does the 98-00 model LS1's have more top end power than my 2001 Trans Aam? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by breakparts im so (F)ing glad i bought a m6, i dont know whether i could handle a ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by breakparts View Post
    im so (F)ing glad i bought a m6, i dont know whether i could handle a friggin 2.73 gear let alone no clutch. man i feel bad for whoever has to run those piece of crap gears.

Don't feel bad, I don't regret having an A4/2.73s. Decent mpg on gas and all I need is a stall to make it more fun to drive.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I guess it really depends on the power of your car. Your putting a greater load on the car with the 2.73 and will be more suspect to detonation by gas and or weather which I saw on the Dyno with my 2.73 car. Especially when rolling through the traps just a little ways into 3rd gear. I would rather run through 1&2 a little quicker to get in the meat of the powerband in 3rd. The motor would not be as stressed with 3.23 vs. 2.73. Just my opinion no expert here
    Either way you're putting the motor in stress 2.73/3.23 or any other gear out there. If you're too worried about the motor being in stress don't drive the car and just look at it, imagine yourself driving it. That's free stress right there.

Silver
    2002 Z28

yea, 2.73 sucked. I managed to run 13.3 with those on a stockish 02 Z. Just dropped in 3.73s, Pace LTs, PAce ORYP, new plugs/ wires, 3800 Vig Stall, and a new tune.... hoping it will run a bit better =)

black
    1998 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mighty username View Post
    the 01 and newer have a slightly smaller cam. They also have no egr, better ls6 intake and bigger injectors.

all else being equal, the 01+ are stronger.
    As for injectors, 98 have bigger injectors 28 the rest have 26 injectors.

black
    1998 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I guess because you said it that makes it true

There were some ls6 blocks used but the heads never were....
    some came with the ls6 heads, its true.

Quote Originally Posted by ssam98 View Post
    No they didn't, some came with LS6 blocks when GM ran out of LS1 blocks but not heads.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea ive never heard about ls6 heads, just the cam and the block

i heard the 98's came with the ls6 cam because they ran out of the ls1 cam only 1998 tho i think ....

red
    1999 transam

98 -00 have a bigger cam than 01-02 they have ls6 intake but just put a ls6 intake on a 98-00 and think you can feel the differance. my 00 with ls6 intake and stock tires run 13.2 at 104. with 3.42 and auto. their are alway factory freaks out their.

black
    1998 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
    No they didn't, some came with LS6 blocks when GM ran out of LS1 blocks but not heads.
    some did.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

im so (F)ing glad i bought a m6, i dont know whether i could handle a friggin 2.73 gear let alone no clutch. man i feel bad for whoever has to run those piece of crap gears.
    first no1 HAS to run 273 gears. my a4 came with 323 and now has 373 and I dare you to say you can run down the track as fast or as consistant mod for mod with a stalled a4

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

As for injectors, 98 have bigger injectors 28 the rest have 26 injectors.
    nosir, 01 and 02 also got 28s
    some did.
    show us where you get your information

some did.
    Yeah if you went out and bought an LS6 cam and installed it, other than that, NO THEY DIDN'T! Quit spreading misinformation. The 01-02's had the truck cam in them for more midrange. The pre 01's actually had more lift on their cams but are generally considered slower than the 01-02's because of the LS6 intake and other miscelaneous things.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

you dare me to say i can run mod for mod with a stalled a4- GOOD CUZ IM SAYING IT-there i said it. now you tell me the big f ing difference that a stalled a4 can put the hurt on me..all i keep hearing is that an a4 auto with a stall will beat up my m6. well till i see it happen then i dont beleive it and sorry but i think an auto sucks even though yours came with 323 gears. consistent yes because your not doing the work. and if im not consistent with my m6 then i cant drive as good as i thought.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

please someone really give me facts on how an a4 is better than an m-6. i just had this discussion over at ls1 tech.and i got nothing but dude there just better.or the same old well fuelers run powerglides.I DONT CARE I WANT TO KNOW HARD FACTS OR EDUCATED OPINIONS.all ive heard of is a torq converter that will give 400 rwtq from a mild bolt on car. dont know how, but cmon you really like your auto,SHOOL ME IF ITS BETTER tell me facts.

Chris01SS

Black Onyx
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS

I have also heard that some cam with LS6 heads, but not cams. Some of the blocks were LS6 blocks also though. As far as 2.73 to 3.23 gears go, The 3.23's are good up to the 1/8 mile, after the 1/8 the 2.73's are moving alot faster and gaining speed faster than the 3.23's. So top end for the 2.73's, low end for the 3.23's. This is stock info between my 01 SS, and my friends 98 Z and proved consistantly every timeslip we have against each other. So if a 2001 SS had the cam from the 98, there would be no difference at all? Something does not set right about that, as being a bigger cam with the LS6 intake and all it should have more power overall even if there is little noticable gain, it should be there right?

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

Hey Hey Hey. Some Special Addition 01 Ss Cars Came With Ls6 Block And Yes,ls6 Heads. To Make A Dale Earnhart Edition. With 435 Hp. Yes To The Motor,no Headers All Factory. They Made 83 Of Them And There Out There. You Probly Wont See Em Around Cuz If You Do You Really Cant Tell The Big Diff.except For The Silver Paint On The Hood Scoop And The Ralley Looking Wheels.but They Made Em. And 25 % Of Camaros In 02 Have The Ls6 Bottom End,yes Made In Mexico Or Alaska. 2 Major Plants. Im Looking For This Website I Found Last Year That Had All This Sweet Info. Building Plants Which Produced More Factory Freaks Than Others And I Believe They Were Mostly Made In Canada.

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Quote Originally Posted by STOCK1SC View Post
    Yeah if you went out and bought an LS6 cam and installed it, other than that, NO THEY DIDN'T! Quit spreading misinformation. The 01-02's had the truck cam in them for more midrange. The pre 01's actually had more lift on their cams but are generally considered slower than the 01-02's because of the LS6 intake and other miscelaneous things.
    I have never seen anything showing an 01 or later is faster then a 00. I think the cam vrs intakes a wash. If you have a web site showing any difference i would like to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rug View Post
    I have never seen anything showing an 01 or later is faster then a 00. I think the cam vrs intakes a wash. If you have a web site showing any difference i would like to check it out.
    It's basically common knowledge, I've been on LS1.com for at least 5 years and it is a given the 01-02's are generally faster.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

its true-my o2 z vs my friends 2000 ss ) me with hedders,lid,dr's and tune at that time. him with the same setup plus mild cam. me with ls6 intake and homeported maf,and t/b. we were equally fast out the hole but i jumped him in 3rd gear every time. and my other buddy has all bolt ons and fairly big cam on stock tune 98 z28 only 382 rwhp and me with all bolt ons and major tune made 380 on mustang dyno. hmm 01 02 ls1 are better in oiling,egr,clutch,and intake manifold.but why a smaller cam.so we wouldnt smoke vettes with just a catback AND A TUNE

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Hey Hey Hey. Some Special Addition 01 Ss Cars Came With Ls6 Block And Yes,ls6 Heads. To Make A Dale Earnhart Edition. With 435 Hp. Yes To The Motor,no Headers All Factory. They Made 83 Of Them And There Out There. You Probly Wont See Em Around Cuz If You Do You Really Cant Tell The Big Diff.except For The Silver Paint On The Hood Scoop And The Ralley Looking Wheels.but They Made Em. And 25 % Of Camaros In 02 Have The Ls6 Bottom End,yes Made In Mexico Or Alaska. 2 Major Plants. Im Looking For This Website I Found Last Year That Had All This Sweet Info. Building Plants Which Produced More Factory Freaks Than Others And I Believe They Were Mostly Made In Canada.
    The Dale Earnhardt car is put together by GMMG, not GM. No F bods got LS6 heads. Ohh, and there was no "LS6" cam back in 98 .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information