Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Do Cam Install Myself or Pay Shop

This is a discussion on Do Cam Install Myself or Pay Shop within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by keliente hmm then $350 does sound like a bit much... What do you think would be a ...

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    hmm then $350 does sound like a bit much...
    What do you think would be a reasonable price range?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Hell free is the best price I have heard. Well just the cost of beer to cover the labor should work. We can start Friday night and we should be done wither that night or we can finish it Saturday to have you riding. SHouldn't be too much trouble. Can be done in about 8-10 hours. SO long as nothing bad happens.

1994 POS

Yea, you can't beat beer currency

99 Firebird Formula

For just a cam? Less than $250. If you're only changing the cam and nothing else it is a 5 hour job at the most.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    For just a cam? Less than $250. If you're only changing the cam and nothing else it is a 5 hour job at the most.
    That is true cause valve springs take 2-3 hours.

MrMiracle
    I seem to remember that the LSx series of engines have a locking mechanism that can hold the lifters in place to allow a cam swap without removing the intake or any of the rest of the valvetrain. You still have to get a good portion of the cooling system out of the way.

$350? Its worth both your time and money to know how to do this yourself. Get a book for $17.95, even less at Amazon.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Yea, you can't beat beer currency
    Beer currency rocks!!! Now, if you can bring the Lakergirls, I would really be impressed. Hell, I will do a frame off restomod for free! The Lakergirls would have to stay with me, of course. That is non-negotiable.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiracle
    I seem to remember that the LSx series of engines have a locking mechanism that can hold the lifters in place to allow a cam swap without removing the intake or any of the rest of the valvetrain. You still have to get a good portion of the cooling system out of the way.

$350? Its worth both your time and money to know how to do this yourself. Get a book for $17.95, even less at Amazon.
    That is true but it doesn't always work. I dropped on of mine when I done the swap. High mileage motors are bad about that. They make a tool to help keep them up.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiracle
    Tis a good idea to remove the rockers and take the pushrods out so there is nothing sitting on the lifter. After that, give the cam a few spins and pray your lifters stay up. Or get a tool and be safe.

And the intake does not have to come off for cam/valvetrain stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Camaro Z28

DIY

1994 POS

Alright the cam came in with some pretty big specs...

Current SLP Cam 234/228 .576/.571 113LSA

Custom Cam 230/236 .612/.590 114LSA

Would you drive on it untuned from Atlanta to Indianapolis? Take her to the strip? I have the feeling after looking at the rest of the specs It might be pretty lean over the dyno of my current cam

99 Firebird Formula

Alright the cam came in with some pretty big specs...

Would you drive on it untuned from Atlanta to Indianapolis? Take her to the strip? I have the feeling after looking at the rest of the specs It might be pretty lean over the dyno of my current cam
    Why does it have to drive so far without a tune?

1994 POS

A Bunch of us are going down to Atlanta for the Year One Experience, 3 days of cars, drags, and Auto X... That's where we'd swap the cam in since I don't have all the tools or workspace here at my apt, would be a fun night if it could run decent on my old cam's dyno tune

99 Firebird Formula

A Bunch of us are going down to Atlanta for the Year One Experience, 3 days of cars, drags, and Auto X... That's where we'd swap the cam in since I don't have all the tools or workspace here at my apt, would be a fun night if it could run decent on my old cam's dyno tune
    Oh. If you want to make a pitstop in Charlotte (3-4 hrs from ATL) I can tune it here.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

You are really only talking about a difference of 4 degrees duration on the intake side, and you are going wider on the lobe separation angle. I would think the difference is kinda insignificant. If you can drive it part throttle from Atlanta to Indy, it think the PCM will compensate for it no problem. I would however resist the temptation to flog it at the strip or on the trip home without tuning. If you were logging data and could at least see what the A/F ratio is, that would be ideal.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

1994 POS

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    You are really only talking about a difference of 4 degrees duration on the intake side, and you are going wider on the lobe separation angle. I would think the difference is kinda insignificant. If you can drive it part throttle from Atlanta to Indy, it think the PCM will compensate for it no problem. I would however resist the temptation to flog it at the strip or on the trip home without tuning. If you were logging data and could at least see what the A/F ratio is, that would be ideal.
    Right, but I'm also adding a 90mm LSX. So it will be lean, how bad I'm unsure. I think I might go ahead with it there anyway, they have a chassis dyno every day going on so I can at least get a read out, maybe find a tuner to help me out anyway. I don't have the time to go out of my way to hit up NC on my way back either.

1994 POS

The opening and closing of the valves is also much greater than the SLP cam

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Throttle body and intake will make a bigger difference at WOT, but I would think the MAF will read any additional airflow at part throttle and the PCM will compensate.

Getting help/tuned while you are there is also a good idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information