Thread: delima

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

delima

...here is the deal..i got some cash...and i am torn between getting a pair of true z06 243 heads..no work done for $409...with about 12k on them... Or i could wait for a set of qtp headers to go on sale....so here is the thing..would those heads even be worth the trouble of getting right now ?...i dont have a cam/stall..and dont have headers right now..those both would have to wait till summer or tax return to get some of those things...i called livernois motorsports and they quoted me at 550 for a cnc/polish job on bare casting..so those heads would end up costing me around 1k total in the long run..+ center bolt valve covers, coil bracket and gaskets, head bolts and push rods (the sodium filled valves are longer to compensate for the smaller base of the ls6 cam)

what do you guys think ?

98' trans am

sorry i cant spell today

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

as far as heads go i think that patriot has a much better deal. you get a fully assembled 243 cast head that has been p/p and its new. i think the are right around $1300. prob a better deal. But if i was you i would do the headers. that way you dant have to wait for other parts to see or feel the difference. thats like paying for a prositute and then having to wait to do her. i couldnt handle it!

Also headers will free up some hp with that cam you got.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    as far as heads go i think that patriot has a much better deal. you get a fully assembled 243 cast head that has been p/p and its new. i think the are right around $1300. prob a better deal. But if i was you i would do the headers. that way you dant have to wait for other parts to see or feel the difference. thats like paying for a prositute and then having to wait to do her. i couldnt handle it!

you mean my stocker yea...i kind of figured that..but livernois motorsports are held in high regard around here..so i know they will do good work..and i wonder if those patriots have the lightweight valves etc ..who knows....now i just need to find someone selling their qtp's

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ...here is the deal..i got some cash...and i am torn between getting a pair of true z06 243 heads..no work done for $409...with about 12k on them... Or i could wait for a set of qtp headers to go on sale....so here is the thing..would those heads even be worth the trouble of getting right now ?...i dont have a cam/stall..and dont have headers right now..those both would have to wait till summer or tax return to get some of those things...i called livernois motorsports and they quoted me at 550 for a cnc/polish job on bare casting..so those heads would end up costing me around 1k total in the long run..+ center bolt valve covers, coil bracket and gaskets, head bolts and push rods (the sodium filled valves are longer to compensate for the smaller base of the ls6 cam)

what do you guys think ?
    If money is tight for ya, maybe just wait and get some money saved. Then go out and buy eveything you need at once. That way you could do your all of your project. Plus you may come across a better deal or find something you'd like more. I cant tell you how many times I've picked something up and later found something better or cheaper. You never know the way technology is, by summer there maybe a refinement or some new type of head and headers you may want more. Just a thinkin' though. I'm not up on the 243's but headers usually make most heads work better and you would'nt have to take things apart twice. Just my oppy though. Good Luck!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Headers. Cheaper, easy install, more noticeable gains right now, and there are way better deals on heads out there. Sorry if I restated anything Crash, I'm too lazy to read today

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Headers. Cheaper, easy install, more noticeable gains right now, and there are way better deals on heads out there. Sorry if I restated anything Crash, I'm too lazy to read today
    shit i wish i could get a set of qtp's used..but none are available...so its either 700 for new ones or wait for 500ish for used.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Man, crash never know where you gonna pop up next!LOL Beat me to it. I'm just goin' along and "CRASH"LOL. There you are.LOL

PS. sorry for thread jackin' LOL
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-02-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

you mean my stocker yea...i kind of figured that..but livernois motorsports are held in high regard around here..so i know they will do good work..and i wonder if those patriots have the lightweight valves etc ..who knows....now i just need to find someone selling their qtp's
    you cant spell but aparently i cant read. I was home skooled!

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Man, crash never know where you gonna pop up next!LOL Beat me to it. I'm just goin' along and "CRASH"LOL. There you are.LOL

PS. sorry for thread jackin' LOL
    i've got a boring job what can i say!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Personally I'd wait on the heads. Go for headers 1st. I've had my car eight years, been modding it ever since. Still don't have heads. Many other supporting mods come in ahead of heads imo.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is your car a daily driver? If not get a set of pacesetters and call it a day.....much cheaper and you'll get years out of a set on a non-daily. I looked at it this way when I bought mine. I can buy 2 sets of pacesetters for the price of 1 set of stainless. If I get 10 years out of each set that's 20 years worth of headers.....where do you plan on being 20 years from now? Not to mention you can always pull the first set and have them recoated for a couple hundred after a few years. I've had mine on 3-4 years now and they're just now showing a little age and not anything to sweat over.

Just food for thought. Either way....get the headers before heads.

98' trans am

i dd mine all year..so SS would prevent the rusting ect. plus i already have the qtp y pipe

Stock
    2002 Camaro

as long as you dont get the SLP headers ur good. Who would be dumb enough to buy those POS headers?

02 SS
    LQ9 408 Stroker ,M6 1LE, LT's, ORY, GMMG, STG2 LS6 heads,248/254 .612/.622, Tubular LCA's, Panhard, torque arm, tranny cross-member, upper and lower a-arms, k-member, 3 point SFC's, Baer 6 pistons up-front, stock rear , Adj. coil-overs,
    12.6@120MPH

81 Celica
    18.1 @ 85MPH

98' trans am

as long as you dont get the SLP headers ur good. Who would be dumb enough to buy those POS headers?

SLP FUK'N ROXS!!!!!!

98' trans am

the old design especially..looks like the flying spaghetti monster...its ridiculous

Stock
    2002 Camaro

the old design especially..looks like the flying spaghetti monster...its ridiculous
    ya i know thats what i have! Oh F#%k

what do you guys think ?
    Thats a little high for used heads in my opinion. I bought a set of nice looking 243's with what is supposed to be only 30,000 miles for less than $300. I'm seeing them at swap meets more and more lately.
    The problem with used heads is you just never know what you are getting and at the very least they should be sent to a machine shop for magnafluxing and checking the guides.
    You will do a valve job at the very least. If guides need replaced which is a good possibility,,,and a new set of springs you'll be lucky to get out of the machine shop for $6-800. Plus purchase price you are starting to get very close to a set of fresh ported heads from many different suppliers. Take your pick.
    Thats why I wouldn't pay much for used heads, too risky to just throw them on the car as is only to have to take them back off for a problem.

If you can get them for between $2-300 then it's a worthwhile purchase, otherwise I'd just save my coin for a ported set.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Do the headers Shady. Look around man, just because you have the QTP y-pipe... dont let that deter you from a good deal on some Kooks. You can sell that y-pipe and pick something else up. Dont spend that money on stock casting's. I would wait and buy some PRC's. Already PP'd with all new parts.

Headers
    Stall

Thread Information