black
    1998 Camaro SS

degreeing a cam? pre load lifters?

alright im in the middle of heads/cam swap and just pulled the old cam out and puttin new one in tomorrow. i ready the little booklet comp cams sent with my cam. it was talkin about degreeing the cam and something about pre loading lifters. bunch of stuff that confused me. is this necessary for the roller cams. the write up i got for the heads/cam swap says nothing about degreein or pre load, just to lube up new cam and slide it in. any suggestions or things i need to do before i start puttin this motor back together?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Your lifters ( preload ) isn't adjustable, the rockers just tighten down.
    What's your cam specs ?

red
    2000 camaro ss

well you dont HAVE to degree a cam. . .its mainly to make sure the grind is correct. generally, each degree off is 10 horse and 100 rpm loss. so. . . .if you dont degree cam you will always wonder if it was right. OR your car will be slow and you'll wonder why. you dont HAVE to preload lifters, tighten the rocker down to take up the slack of the lifter and then degree away. they also sell dial indicators in the form of a lifter so you can take lifters right out of the equation, thats what i reccommend.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The main concern I have is the valve to piston clearance. That's why I want to know the cam specs, in case it's a monster cam !!! LOL
    I'm getting ready to install another cam in mine, and yes, it's the big momma !!! Yes, I will be using a degree wheel !

black
    1998 Camaro SS

my cam specs are 228/228 .588/.588 112 lsa. so how exactly do i degree my cam? so i dont need to "pre-load" (still not sure what that means) my lifters. i bought ls7 lifters and have had them soakin in oil for a day so they are fine just to drop in right? actually...when i put the new lifters in do i set them all the way down in against the cam or do i install them in the lifter trays?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    my cam specs are 228/228 .588/.588 112 lsa. so how exactly do i degree my cam? so i dont need to "pre-load" (still not sure what that means) my lifters. i bought ls7 lifters and have had them soakin in oil for a day so they are fine just to drop in right? actually...when i put the new lifters in do i set them all the way down in against the cam or do i install them in the lifter trays?
    The 228 / 228 will clear the stock pistons just fine. Just put it in and don't worry aboyt degreeing it. I ussally put the top timing gear at 6 o-clock & the crank gear at 12 o-clock, so the timing dots point to each other.
    The preload is for adjustable rocker arms, when you snug them down to the pushrod, then go another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then lock them. If your using a stock, or like stock rockers, they just tighten down, no adjustment.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Oh ya, put the lifters in the trays, then into the block !!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

PM sent !!!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

cams have a couple of degrees ground into them,I also would not worry about anything under 610 lift,those non adjustable rockers can be done in increments,snug them then come back after you roll motor over and do other side,ive degreed several new cams was a waste of time,they were right on the money,(comp cams)just make sure when our done the pushrod is seated and the valve tip is centered.also when you put those lifters back in they go with the lil hole pointing towards the other lifter valley,or opposite head.(their is a small hole on the lifters where oil bleeds out) not sure all the lifters are like this,mine are 05 motor.

Thread Information