Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Custom cam. Expert opinion wanted

Ill be doing a cam swap this summer and started to spec out my cam. I want something a little bigger than 228R because the car isnt my DD but i dont want a real radical cam either like an MS4, i want power under the curve, not just up high. Although i am looking for as close to 400hp as i can get cam only.

Ive called a few local places and we have come up with this cam, 232/232 .595 .595 112LSA. I was thinking this cam will act a lot like the 228r, just move the rpm range up a little but hopefully produce more power which im fine with because when i run the car, im more in the 3800+rpm range.

What do you guys think? It will be through an M6 with a spec 3+ clutch and full bolt ons (ls6 intake)

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Ill be doing a cam swap this summer and started to spec out my cam. I want something a little bigger than 228R because the car isnt my DD but i dont want a real radical cam either like an MS4, i want power under the curve, not just up high. Although i am looking for as close to 400hp as i can get cam only.

Ive called a few local places and we have come up with this cam, 232/232 .595 .595 112LSA. I was thinking this cam will act a lot like the 228r, just move the rpm range up a little but hopefully produce more power which im fine with because when i run the car, im more in the 3800+rpm range.

What do you guys think? It will be through an M6 with a spec 3+ clutch and full bolt ons (ls6 intake)
    sounds like the v2 cam and that is the cam i would swap my 224 out for.
    youll be around the 400 rwhp mark
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

SOM
    99 Trans Am

yeah thats the cam i was kinda going for but i didnt like the exhaust duration and exhaust lift on that cam for some reason.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

That cam should get you close to 400 rwhp cam only + bolt ons. In my opinion, this is a great "middle of the road" cam (meaning that it offers a nice balance of power down low as well as power up top).

My cam listed below was selected because I wanted a bit more down low in the band and I made 390 rwhp and 388 rwtq (I think) with full bolt ons (before the heads, FAST, etc.). Your cam should produce more on the power side and the torque figure might be a bit lower.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Yeah by keeping them both the same i was hoping that would bring my torque number up a little more than the cams ive seen. Im expecting 375ish rwtq and hopefully 400hp but i would be very satisfied with 390 or so. your numbers are really good with that cam. good work.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I think the cam you have picked will definatly give you a high power range, but I think what you are looking for might be easier to get with a smaller cam. Mine is doing almost exactly what you are wanting and it is only a 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112. Getting to your goal of 400 will depend alot on your current baseline. For me it was just a matter of gaining 40 RWHP to be right at 400 some cars/dynos will just produce lower numbers.

Here is a copy of my chart before and after the cam install to give you an idea of what my mild cam does.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Remember the LSA on that 228R is 114deg, which will move the powerband up some versus a 112deg LSA for example. You will likely find that the powerband for both of those cams is similar, the 232 on a 112 may make a bit more tq in the middle, but will the 228 will be a little more driver-friendly, though much of that wil be up to the tuning.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I think you should call Cam Motion with all your specs and get the correct cam instead of trying to pick some off the shelf grinds.
    If you don't know what your car actually weighs go to a local truck stop and spend the $6 and get an exact weight of what Your car weighs in race forum because they will ask you that.

http://www.cammotion.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=56
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Alright thanks for all the help guys, ill give them a call this week

Thread Information