Couple questions regarding blocks

This is a discussion on Couple questions regarding blocks within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello, I have a couple questions for you guys. I would like to build a motor set up for a ...

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Couple questions regarding blocks

Hello, I have a couple questions for you guys. I would like to build a motor set up for a D1 Procharger, however I don't want to go with an iron block, I would like to build off a aluminum block and maintain stock cubes of 346. I know that a stock ls1 porbably will not hold up to prolonged use of boost, so I did some researching and found the Dart Billet aluminum blocks. Supposedly Dart can machine the blocks to 346ci, my question is do you think the block can handle 8-10psi of boost? Anybody have any experience with Dart aluminum blocks? I would like to put 600 to the wheels, not sure if this is irrational or not, just looking for some input. Thanks ahead of time for any input or comments.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

If you are running 8# of boost the stock LS1 will be fine. If you want to run 10# the stock engine will be ok so long as you as you get a front mount intercooler, lower the compression and a really good tune, but that is starting to get into the danger area as the ringglands will be the weak link that will probably go. You can have a stock LS1 with stock crank after market Hbeam rods and forged pistons that will handle more than the D1 is able to dish out. 15-16# should be no problem. That should put you around 550-575 rwhp. If you want more boost than that you need to move to the F1 Head unit.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The block stock block will be fine. You need to beef up the bottom end. Rods, pistons, ect...

NBM
    1998 Z-28

I guess I was mistaken on how much and stok block could hold, how much power are you guys pushing on a stock block with forged internal?

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

There are guys pushing over 550-650rwhp with boost or nitrous on stock blocks with forged bottom end. The issue that they have with higher HP (700hp) is that they start lifting heads and such. Anything higher is rare as it is just as cheap to get a 403 alum LS2 or 408 Iron L98 and even the LSX which have a higher potential for power.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Ok thanks, that clears up my questions

Thread Information