Can I stick with stock 7.4 Pushrods or check for length

This is a discussion on Can I stick with stock 7.4 Pushrods or check for length within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm in the process of changing out my lifters. Since the stock Ls1 lifters are obsolete I'm going with the ...

2001 Camaro SS

Can I stick with stock 7.4 Pushrods or check for length

I'm in the process of changing out my lifters. Since the stock Ls1 lifters are obsolete I'm going with the Ls7 lifters. The heads are being exchanged for stock 241s with new valve, springs and seats, no porting. Stock rocker arms are going back on but with the comp cams trunion upgrade.

My first question is the LS1 lifter the same size as the LS7 lifter?

Can I reuse my stock lifter tray that came in my engine for the LS7 lifters?

Im assuming if the answers to these questions are yes than I would be fine using the stock pushrod length for this setup right? Since the only change is the lifters and trunion upgrade.

I know there is a sticky on how to check for proper pushrod length but I'm hoping to avoid that, especially if I'm sticking to a stock setup.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Fairfax, VA

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The best thing would be to check for length with the $20 pushrod length tool from comp cams in case for some reason something is off so you aren't wasting money on pushrods that won't work. You should use ls2 lifter trays for ls7 lifters. I actually have some if you want them cheap. They are new but I switched to link bar lifters so I don't need them.

I at one point swapped ls7 lifters and 243 heads and my pushrod length was 7.375 so the ls7 lifters do change the pushrod length. You may be able to get away with 7.4 but I would advise against not measuring it. The reason is to make sure you get the proper length.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Ugy Lower Corner of AL

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Will is correct in that you should always measure pushrods length.

There has been much debate about the the LS1 vs 7 lifters.

According to GM the 7's are direct replacement for the 1's. So if you are reusing your stock heads and NOT milling the heads down you should be able to use 7.4" pushrods.

Thread Information