Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

cam without valvetrain upgrade?

whats the biggest cam i can go with without having to change the valve springs or anything else?...i want a pretty lopy idle if possible

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The stocker.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

thats what i was hoping wouldnt be the answer haha...is a valvetrain upgrade going to be a pain on this car? im gona be doing a cam along with headers on my winter break this year

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    The stocker.
    lol.. thats a sad truth tho.

High performance pontiac did a mag on it. Its not that hard you just have to have a few specialty tools for the LS heads(on car spring compressor, etc )

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Valvespring swap is time comsuming. But not extremely difficult.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

is that all thats involved? say if i went with something big like a ms3 or 4...just need springs that support the higher lift?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

And pushrods.

Any cam you go with will require new springs...if you go with a mild cam like a hotcam you can go with some cheap ls6 springs ($50) and you wont have to change pushrods or anything else. It took me a day and a half by myself to change them out.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

you can't just "drop in" a cam without doing anything else and expect to get 75-100 HP. You need to compliment it all with a better intake, Heads, exhaust, and AT LEAST the correct valve springs to handle all the extra lift. If you do not change the valve springs to match the cam, be prepared to suck a valve and have it sticking out the top of your piston.

You need to have a basic understanding on how a engine works. More cam = more air and fuel as well as exhaust leaving your engine. You need the componets to handle all that extra airflow or you will do nothing but choke the cam and not allow your engine to breathe properly.

I wish it was that easy to do, but be prepared to spend a couple of G's when you go to put a nice sized cam in.

With all my mods to my car I am only at 410 rwhp and beleive me it takes a whole lot more than just throwing in a cam without any thing else.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

defiantly upgrade springs and maybe rods. You going to put extra stress on old components.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

i have gm hotcam with ls6 springs with slp lid 4.10 very streetable works well u can tell it got a cam not extreme but recommend a tune

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Springs and pushrods are a must. The stock GM pushrods are known to bend and they are not hard to replace. I'd also switch to titanium retainers as well, they are not a must, but well reduce the weight of the valve train and every oz. you reduce out of the valve train the less chance you have to float a valve. Look at them like a cheap insurance policy.

Personally I have the Patriot Performance's Gold spring kit it includes 16 Patriot Gold dual springs .650 inch max lift, 16 titanium retainers, 32 Super 7 Machined locks, 16 .505" ID machined spring bases, and 16 viton rubber seals and its only $255 from their web site. Take in count the cost of repair or replacement of the heads and/or engine if you float a valve $255 is not that expensive.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Like the others mentioned -- springs and pushrods are a must and you'll need a tune after the install.

Many people choose to try to get by without a tune or pushrods because of budgeting issues, however those are the people that typically need the added safety those components provide the most (because they're financially unable to pay for the cost of a rebuild).

As for the tools and labor required -- it will take hours to properly complete the valvetrain upgrades, however they are well worth the time it takes to install.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

once your in there might as well get an oil pump, its a 98.

when i did mine i spent abt 1k on parts when it was all said and done. And a weekend of course. but you can sometimes find used cam on hear that are pretty cheap bc people want to go bigger, well if your looking for a mild cam.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    once your in there might as well get an oil pump, its a 98.

when i did mine i spent abt 1k on parts when it was all said and done. And a weekend of course. but you can sometimes find used cam on hear that are pretty cheap bc people want to go bigger, well if your looking for a mild cam.
    I did not see that. Yes most defiantly replace the oil pump since it’s a 98. 98 LS1 oil pumps have been known to just stop working suddenly with out warning.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    I did not see that. Yes most defiantly replace the oil pump since it’s a 98. 98 LS1 oil pumps have been known to just stop working suddenly with out warning.
    I didnt change anything but the springs when I put my cam in. If the oil pump didnt die yet (114K) its not going to, granted its a baby cam but if its not broke dont fix it....

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_06374 View Post
    I didnt change anything but the springs when I put my cam in. If the oil pump didnt die yet (114K) its not going to, granted its a baby cam but if its not broke dont fix it....

You probably have one that’s okay. The problem is when they fail you suddenly lose all oil pressure and with no oil pressure it does not take very long for the bearings, rings, and cylinder walls to start taking damage. Not to mention the lifters are very unhappy with out oil pressure either. So it’s normally recommend then doing a cam on a 98 it’s safest to just replace the oil pump while you have it off.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Yeah.... you'd have to change the valve springs and pushrods... otherwise you can float the valves.... it's better to do it once right than to have to do it over again.... just my .02

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You probably have one that’s okay. The problem is when they fail you suddenly lose all oil pressure and with no oil pressure it does not take very long for the bearings, rings, and cylinder walls to start taking damage. Not to mention the lifters are very unhappy with out oil pressure either. So it’s normally recommend then doing a cam on a 98 it’s safest to just replace the oil pump while you have it off.
    I agree and the price of the ported ls6 pump is peanuts compared to the cost of the damage a failed pump can cause.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

this comforts me...

Thread Information