Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Cam without heads.. on a budget..

This is a discussion on Cam without heads.. on a budget.. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin ...

  1. #21
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin no 3/4 race cam wit no daggone hedrs". Some people might want to run a cam and no headers. A stock z06 cam is a 211/230 or something like that. Not to mention the 24x/24x that was in a 2" manifold equipped dz302, or the wild ls6 or l88 big blocks breathing through manifolds. A cam with stock manifolds will still help. Again, Run more exhaust duration to make up for the manifolds

  2. #22
    Senior Member rajiv1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,489

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin no 3/4 race cam wit no daggone hedrs". Some people might want to run a cam and no headers. A stock z06 cam is a 211/230 or something like that. Not to mention the 24x/24x that was in a 2" manifold equipped dz302, or the wild ls6 or l88 big blocks breathing through manifolds. A cam with stock manifolds will still help. Again, Run more exhaust duration to make up for the manifolds
    A lot of people dont tear open a motor and stick a Z06/ls6 cam in it. If they do, I am sure it wont be for long and they will be making threads about which other cam to buy. I agree the cams in the LS6 engine flow well, but I am sure some other guys are probably saying the same thing about us.

    I am not saying your worng, but every one knows before you dig into the motor and start adding more power, you want the engine as free flowing/breathing as possible. Look at what a differance LT's make over stock manifolds on just a bolt on car, let alone one with h/c. Personally, I wouldnt go through all the time, money, and headaches installing a cam on stock manifolds. Yeah it may sound cool, but whats the point if you cant back it up with power?
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

    Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

  3. #23
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    you do gain power

  4. #24
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin no 3/4 race cam wit no daggone hedrs". Some people might want to run a cam and no headers. A stock z06 cam is a 211/230 or something like that. Not to mention the 24x/24x that was in a 2" manifold equipped dz302, or the wild ls6 or l88 big blocks breathing through manifolds. A cam with stock manifolds will still help. Again, Run more exhaust duration to make up for the manifolds
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    you do gain power
    you're not the only person here with an opinion and your opinion isn't the only one that counts. I'm tired of the smart remarks and argumentative way you reply to threads.....give it a rest.

  5. #25
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    I didn't start the arguement, but I continued and will continue to continue it, with these facts. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...y-results.html broseph gained 33 peak horsepower and 30 peak lb/ft with 125K miles, stock manifolds and cats. No noticible lope, specs are 215/230 .600/.578 117LSA 116ICL. With a higher duration and much narrower lsa, it would sound different but should pick up even more power. I'll find some more examples to add to the debate in a *civil* way

  6. #26
    Senior Member rajiv1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,489

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    I didn't start the arguement, but I continued and will continue to continue it, with these facts. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...y-results.html broseph gained 33 peak horsepower and 30 peak lb/ft with 125K miles, stock manifolds and cats. No noticible lope, specs are 215/230 .600/.578 117LSA 116ICL. With a higher duration and much narrower lsa, it would sound different but should pick up even more power. I'll find some more examples to add to the debate in a *civil* way
    Dude nobody is doubting you. I never said, you CANT GAIN POWER with a cammed car on stock manifolds. Im just said 99.9% of the people who have h/c usually have all the bolt ons if not at least a full exhaust. Yes there are ppl who might have the stock manifolds and have a cam, but you can probably count the amount of those people on your fingers. There have been bolt on LS1's that have gone as fast as 10's, but a majority of them cant even break into the 11's. Its just not normal.

  7. #27
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    park bench
    Posts
    1,399
    gmcheviac

    Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    A lot of people dont tear open a motor and stick a Z06/ls6 cam in it. If they do, I am sure it wont be for long and they will be making threads about which other cam to buy. I agree the cams in the LS6 engine flow well, but I am sure some other guys are probably saying the same thing about us.

    I am not saying your worng, but every one knows before you dig into the motor and start adding more power, you want the engine as free flowing/breathing as possible. Look at what a differance LT's make over stock manifolds on just a bolt on car, let alone one with h/c. Personally, I wouldnt go through all the time, money, and headaches installing a cam on stock manifolds. Yeah it may sound cool, but whats the point if you cant back it up with power?
    he backed it up with 33 horsepower and alot more under the curve with no tuning as far as I could tell. Baby cam with a stock idle.
    Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Dude nobody is doubting you. I never said, you CANT GAIN POWER with a cammed car on stock manifolds. Im just said 99.9% of the people who have h/c usually have all the bolt ons if not at least a full exhaust. Yes there are ppl who might have the stock manifolds and have a cam, but you can probably count the amount of those people on your fingers. There have been bolt on LS1's that have gone as fast as 10's, but a majority of them cant even break into the 11's. Its just not normal.
    365 horsepower is above most people's bolt on numbers

  8. #28
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    I didn't start the arguement, but I continued and will continue to continue it, with these facts. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...y-results.html broseph gained 33 peak horsepower and 30 peak lb/ft with 125K miles, stock manifolds and cats. No noticible lope, specs are 215/230 .600/.578 117LSA 116ICL. With a higher duration and much narrower lsa, it would sound different but should pick up even more power. I'll find some more examples to add to the debate in a *civil* way
    allow me to finish it

  9. #29
    Senior Member rajiv1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,489

    Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    he backed it up with 33 horsepower and alot more under the curve with no tuning as far as I could tell. Baby cam with a stock idle.


    365 horsepower is above most people's bolt on numbers
    Dude I seriously dont understand what your trying to prove. I agree with you that you can still make power with stock manifolds, but to optimize the performance you will need headers. Just because some one made 33hp on stock manifolds doesnt mean you dont need headers. If that was the case, then how come the majority of the people (if not every one on this site) with a cam has headers? I too can post links to cam only cars making 430+ hp and say "you dont need heads to get 430rwhp."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What to do next? Budget is 15k
    By 2001ws6ta in forum General Help
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 03:46 PM
  2. House Budget Bill Punishes IRS, Slashes budget and Obamacare
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM
  3. Question: $5,000 budget
    By Julius in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 01:02 AM
  4. Best car on my budget?
    By CandyRedZ28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 03:51 PM
  5. On a budget...this is what I have.
    By Mr. Luos in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 12:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •