Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cam without heads.. on a budget..

This is a discussion on Cam without heads.. on a budget.. within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin no 3/4 race cam wit no daggone hedrs". Some people might want to run a cam and no headers. A stock z06 cam is a 211/230 or something like that. Not to mention the 24x/24x that was in a 2" manifold equipped dz302, or the wild ls6 or l88 big blocks breathing through manifolds. A cam with stock manifolds will still help. Again, Run more exhaust duration to make up for the manifolds

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    see, i'm trying to be scientific and you're coming in with "herp derp people sez ya ain't 'posed be runnin no 3/4 race cam wit no daggone hedrs". Some people might want to run a cam and no headers. A stock z06 cam is a 211/230 or something like that. Not to mention the 24x/24x that was in a 2" manifold equipped dz302, or the wild ls6 or l88 big blocks breathing through manifolds. A cam with stock manifolds will still help. Again, Run more exhaust duration to make up for the manifolds
    A lot of people dont tear open a motor and stick a Z06/ls6 cam in it. If they do, I am sure it wont be for long and they will be making threads about which other cam to buy. I agree the cams in the LS6 engine flow well, but I am sure some other guys are probably saying the same thing about us.

I am not saying your worng, but every one knows before you dig into the motor and start adding more power, you want the engine as free flowing/breathing as possible. Look at what a differance LT's make over stock manifolds on just a bolt on car, let alone one with h/c. Personally, I wouldnt go through all the time, money, and headaches installing a cam on stock manifolds. Yeah it may sound cool, but whats the point if you cant back it up with power?
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Impounded
    gmcheviac

you do gain power

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you do gain power
    you're not the only person here with an opinion and your opinion isn't the only one that counts. I'm tired of the smart remarks and argumentative way you reply to threads.....give it a rest.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I didn't start the arguement, but I continued and will continue to continue it, with these facts. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...y-results.html broseph gained 33 peak horsepower and 30 peak lb/ft with 125K miles, stock manifolds and cats. No noticible lope, specs are 215/230 .600/.578 117LSA 116ICL. With a higher duration and much narrower lsa, it would sound different but should pick up even more power. I'll find some more examples to add to the debate in a *civil* way

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I didn't start the arguement, but I continued and will continue to continue it, with these facts. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...y-results.html broseph gained 33 peak horsepower and 30 peak lb/ft with 125K miles, stock manifolds and cats. No noticible lope, specs are 215/230 .600/.578 117LSA 116ICL. With a higher duration and much narrower lsa, it would sound different but should pick up even more power. I'll find some more examples to add to the debate in a *civil* way
    Dude nobody is doubting you. I never said, you CANT GAIN POWER with a cammed car on stock manifolds. Im just said 99.9% of the people who have h/c usually have all the bolt ons if not at least a full exhaust. Yes there are ppl who might have the stock manifolds and have a cam, but you can probably count the amount of those people on your fingers. There have been bolt on LS1's that have gone as fast as 10's, but a majority of them cant even break into the 11's. Its just not normal.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    A lot of people dont tear open a motor and stick a Z06/ls6 cam in it. If they do, I am sure it wont be for long and they will be making threads about which other cam to buy. I agree the cams in the LS6 engine flow well, but I am sure some other guys are probably saying the same thing about us.

I am not saying your worng, but every one knows before you dig into the motor and start adding more power, you want the engine as free flowing/breathing as possible. Look at what a differance LT's make over stock manifolds on just a bolt on car, let alone one with h/c. Personally, I wouldnt go through all the time, money, and headaches installing a cam on stock manifolds. Yeah it may sound cool, but whats the point if you cant back it up with power?
    he backed it up with 33 horsepower and alot more under the curve with no tuning as far as I could tell. Baby cam with a stock idle.
    Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Dude nobody is doubting you. I never said, you CANT GAIN POWER with a cammed car on stock manifolds. Im just said 99.9% of the people who have h/c usually have all the bolt ons if not at least a full exhaust. Yes there are ppl who might have the stock manifolds and have a cam, but you can probably count the amount of those people on your fingers. There have been bolt on LS1's that have gone as fast as 10's, but a majority of them cant even break into the 11's. Its just not normal.
    365 horsepower is above most people's bolt on numbers

98 Formula
    06 duramax

allow me to finish it

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

he backed it up with 33 horsepower and alot more under the curve with no tuning as far as I could tell. Baby cam with a stock idle.

365 horsepower is above most people's bolt on numbers
    Dude I seriously dont understand what your trying to prove. I agree with you that you can still make power with stock manifolds, but to optimize the performance you will need headers. Just because some one made 33hp on stock manifolds doesnt mean you dont need headers. If that was the case, then how come the majority of the people (if not every one on this site) with a cam has headers? I too can post links to cam only cars making 430+ hp and say "you dont need heads to get 430rwhp."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information