Cam undertaking

This is a discussion on Cam undertaking within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Looking to purchase and install a cam in the near future, but i really dont know where to start. I ...

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Cam undertaking

Looking to purchase and install a cam in the near future, but i really dont know where to start. I would really like more knowledge on what a cam does, what type of cam i should choose, and the other required material to accommodate the swap. All input appreciated
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

I'm no expert on cams but I've asked enough from people on here to know someone that can answer your question will want to know what you use the vehicle for dd,drag,ect. One thing is how aggressive you want the cam to be where you want your power to be low end mid or high end. Rods may need changed if you're an auto a higher stall 3400rpm up is what everyone tells me you'll need to be re tuned (frost). So start by giving that info and someone more experienced with the internal engine set up will hop on and let you know more. Good luck I'm gonna keep a watch on this cause like I said I'm still looking for a can in my ls1.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Thanks for the input. I def want something that im still able to drive daily, but puts down the work on the strip. I know that ill have to get the chrome moly pushrods and a stall of at least 3200, but beyond that im lost. I would really like a cookie monster level explanation of cams and their functions. Anywho, maybe someone is bored and will enlighten me.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Call up comp cam or Texas speed. They might be able to help figure out what you'll want to keep streetable and still push the quarter time a bit. They can even custom grind them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there's really so much info out there that you could read for days and never cover it all. Crane has a pretty good FAQ list on cams. This should answer a lot of questions as far as what a cam does and it'll give you a better understanding of what the duration, lift, and LSA numbers mean
    Crane Cams |

As far as materials needed....LS1Howto.com has a "how to" for a cam and valvetrain swap that's actually very detailed and has pictures to go along with it. Excellent write up really.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's really so much info out there that you could read for days and never cover it all. Crane has a pretty good FAQ list on cams. This should answer a lot of questions as far as what a cam does and it'll give you a better understanding of what the duration, lift, and LSA numbers mean
    Crane Cams |

As far as materials needed....LS1Howto.com has a "how to" for a cam and valvetrain swap that's actually very detailed and has pictures to go along with it. Excellent write up really.
    I just went through the entire "how to" and it seems very comprehensive. Very good instruction for a first timer.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

There is a camshaft swap how to I wrote here:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/camshaft-swap-how-166914/

I personally would get a custom grind and talk to a shop about your wants and goals and see what they suggest to you.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thread Information