Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam trouble

black
    1995 chevy truck

Angry cam trouble

i installed a crane cam in my ls1 i have in my truck i sent the computer off to have it programed for my cam and my new 6 speed i put all of them in my truck at the same time and now the truck will not rev over 1400 rpms it just falls on it face. i dont know what happend or if there is something i did not do or did do that i was not suppose too. any help would be appercited

black
    1995 chevy truck

frost

I contacted frost and he said that if I didn't change injectors that this was a physical issuse and not in the programing but he recomends getting it programed. I drove it just a moment ago and its going 2 be awsome its got all kinds of power amd only revin to 1400 rpm can't wait. Help me please

black
    1995 chevy truck

local tech

I talked to a tech at my local chevy delership describe what it was doing I asked him if I droped a lifter if it would cause this he said it would that I needed 2 do a compresion test on it that would tell if I had one down.
    So I am going 2 do that.
    But does anyone know what I have 2 do to get it back up new ones take the heads off to get to it go down through the heads with a magnet. Is any one out there? Does anyone know?

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

if you dropped a lifter the heads would have to come off to replace them . sounds to me like a program problem though . if it runs smooth then it shouldn't be a lifter or a mechanical issue .

black
    1995 chevy truck

It only runs smooth at idle when you give it gas it dies and sounds like every thing in it is coming apart then you let off the feul and idles fine

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

what do you mean COMING APART?. did you line up the marks on the cam gears and crank gears?

Other than the fact you have a truck and an LS1, we have no idea what you're working with. You'll never get any answers without details. We don't read minds over the internet.

black
    1995 chevy truck

99 ls1

the motor is out of a 1999 firebird the trans is out of a 2000 camaro and i have street and perfomances wiring harness and pully setup. i put crane cams part #1449521 in the motor after i broke the last drive shaft witch i found out was becasuse of my rev limiter it was set at 5200 rpm street & performance had it programed some where. after i put it in i broke 6 drive shafts with an automatic trans never even had it on the road with the 6 speed. and yes i lined up the timing marks i followed instrucions from a sevice manual but i had nothing to hold the lifters up with so i spun it around took it out and put the other one in i had the motor up on tdc #1 if it is like a small block chevy that is driver side front right? i lined up the timmin dots Then i put new comp cams lifters in and torqed the rockers down and put the rest of the motor back together

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

ok so before it was fine ? what is 1449521 . a cam . the lifters . are they the right lifters . or cam .

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

and if you were breaking driveshafts then why did you change anything ? why not just have a better driveshaft built for the power?

black
    1995 chevy truck

did that but wanted more power

I got a drive shaft built that was tested to 1200 hp but I already had my cam was just looking for a reson to put it and my new push rods in. More power you know how it is or at lest it is for me I always want more than what I got. The # is the cams part # its a little bigger than a ls6 cam exept it only has 500 lift I just wanted more power that's all did not know I would not get to drive this thing for about 4 years yea I said that right its been in there for a while

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

and you broke the 1200 hp driveshaft?

black
    1995 chevy truck

no its still alive

No it is still alive but besides all that what do you think could be my problem

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

either something wasnt put back together right or its in the program for the computer . I think you need to find a speed shop near you and have them go throught the tune .

black
    1995 chevy truck

yea but not one close

The closest one is in louville I think any way and that's 3.5 hrs away ill have to rollback it all the way down there and I work 6 days a week. This thing is killen me I want to drive it bad ever scince the lsfest it been eating at me. The four years before I was in a pretty bad spot got laid off was newly married and had a kid on the way. It was not on my mind much but I had it sitting in the garage waiting on me it was already paid for so I just let it set bad idea

Heads, rockers, what pushrods, etc...

Have you done the basic checks on the fuel and ignition systems? Compression readings? Any stored DTCs? How about the harness? All sensor present, working, and everything connected?

Having an LS1 swapped into another vehicle means you've got 3 times as many probable causes as factory car - too many variables.

Any unusual noises? When it refuses to rev over 1400, what happens?

Again, need a LOT more details...
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 10-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.

black
    1995 chevy truck

i found something i did not do

I did not remove the cam sensor when I installed my cam. Could I messed it up and that cause my problem or do I need to keep looking?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sounds like the cam is off a few teeth.
    At least without more details.

black
    1995 chevy truck

can cam sensor be problem

When I installed my cam I did not remove the cam sensor its on the back of the motor so I don't know if that is my problem or not help me out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Any way to check the computer and see if it has codes??

Cam sensor will let it run...but can have similar symptoms as to what you are having. Rarely hear about them failing though.

Thread Information